Common problem? transfer case? Tranny? - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Drivetrain Tech
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Drivetrain Tech Transmission, clutch, flywheel, driveshaft, gears, differentials, transfer case, shifter, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2011, 06:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 07 EVO
Club Region: Southeast
Common problem? transfer case? Tranny?

Thinking about buyin an 08 Evo. Been looking thru the threads here and it seems that the transfer case and transmissions are common problems in these cars. Especially if you have been HARD on it with no upgrades. The guy im buying it from seems to have maybe did some street racing at times. He has admitted that he does drive it like he stole it LOL. Whats do need to look for? and is this common in these cars for the drivetrain to go out? Im a newbee and would appreciate any input from some well trained mechanics about these EVO problems before i go spending my hard earned money on it. Thanks Mike
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: Tri State
I had my transfer case go out on me, when you drive it, listen for a loud wine (not typical evo noises). Also, if the clutch is letting out really late, it prob. need a new one. Good luck, dunno if I'd personally buy an Evo from someone who admits to driving like they stole it..haha. It is a very common problem, esp. with the older 8/9 generations.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 07 EVO
Club Region: Southeast
Hello and thank you for the response. I think ive opted out of buying that particular one i was looking at. BUT im definately in the market to look for another. I guess my MAIN question to EVERYONE would be. IS THIS A COMMON PROBLEM in these cars for the transfer case to go out???. Whether you drive it HArd or just drive it like a granny? Although the latter of the two wouldnt be right because the car was MADE to be run hard. I wonder if there is a recall on these cars for crappy tansmissions/transfer cases. Any input from anyone would be a MAJOR help to me. Thank you so much.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
SUPER MODERATOR

Car: 06 EVO
Club Region: Outside North America
Send a message via AIM to rookhoe
The transfer case is not really a big problem with the Evo. Just dont keep dropping the clutch when you launch it. Thats what causes most of your problems right there. As for the transmissions, the 6-speed isnt as strong as the 5-speed. In the 6-speed, the 4th gear tends to be a big problem.

I WANNA GO FAST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement