Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner

IX cams

11K views 46 replies 11 participants last post by  kreionic 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, I've decided to get some cams but I can't seem to find any solid info for the IX. So far the only thing I can find are the Cosworth cams, and Nick over at Buschur's said HKS doesn't have cams out for the IX yet.

This is a street car, but I was thinking of 272/272 or 264/272... maybe just straight 264/264. I do have to pass emissions in NJ. The cosworth only come in 272's and I don't think I could pass emissions out here with those. Anyone know of any cams besides the cosworth that work in IX?

Doing some more research I see GSC may have some cams for the IX

#2 ·
Hey man, I also own an EVO IX, talked to Buschur and Cosworth right now is probably the best cam available for our cars. GSC also makes cams though for the evo ix. U can find them on lancershop.com and other websites. The gsc's come in 280/272 and 280/280. So I would still recommend the cosworth's, In about a month thats what Im purchasing for mine! Hope this helps...

#4 ·
1) GSC has been out longer than Cosworth and is on their second version, which is making more power than Cosworth. People have also been reporting problems with the Cosworth exhaust cams not always fitting properly.

2) What made you think 272s would not pass emissions? there's no reason for you not to pass emissions just because you have 272s or even 280s instead of 264s. There are no 264s for the IX anyway, then you just need to get a proper custom tune from a tuner that knows how to remove the idle lope caused by high duration cams - no problem.

#5 ·
2) What made you think 272s would not pass emissions? there's no reason for you not to pass emissions just because you have 272s or even 280s instead of 264s. There are no 264s for the IX anyway, then you just need to get a proper custom tune from a tuner that knows how to remove the idle lope caused by high duration cams - no problem.
Exhibit A ROFL

http://www.evotuners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=641

#6 ·
You're not in CA. There's no problem passing smog tests with 272s in other states, and there's definitely tons of CA Evos with 272s or 280s, so unless they're all driving around without passing emissions, then one would assume that tuners have figured out what to do.

Also, later in that thread, you see examples of people passing in CA as well as comments mimicking mine that you can pass with proper tuning.

#7 ·
I'm picking up a set of the 272's. Al (dynoflash) can get me a set of the cosworths for a very good price or maybe I'll get the gsc's. I have an appoint for tuning at The Shop with Al in April. I got a good price from The Shop to get the cams installed before I get tuned.

So it looks like right now,

Buschur tbe w/hfc and magnaflow
walbro 255
boost controller
272/272 cams

Still debating the o2 housing though I may try and squeeze it in before the tune.

#17 ·
Ended up choosing the Cosworths. Al got me a price on them that was quite a bit better than the what I could find on the GSC's and better than all the vendors I talked to about the Cosworth's. Also after reading through "i have no idea how many" posts on cams, the cosworths seemed like the best fit for "ME" . The Cosworth's may not make quite as much power, but I felt the GSC's might be a touch to aggressive for me.

I'm so looking forward to getting this thing tuned and seeing the numbers. I'll probably only run the 1/4 mile a couple of days this year, but I want to seriously beat some humility into all the Mustang GT owners up here. For some reason every 5th car on the road here is a mustang. Yes, I know I could beat a stock GT from a stop or in the 1/4... But from a role on the highway the new GT's are a pita.

I don't just want to win, I want to embarrass them in front of their wives, girlfriends, cousins, aunts, uncles, brothers, etc in ways that will make them cry with the shame.

I'm evil, I know. Besides, we all need goals :D

#19 ·
There aren't other cams, wvturbo2. There's only the GSC and Cosworth to choose from that make any power. The early Turbotrix regrinds are no good. Where did you hear that Cossies made less than "other" brands when there is only one other to choose from?

No one knows what any future cams will do. HKS has taken over a year...

#25 ·
Eh either way. With me its never enough, so who knows how long I'll stay on the stock turbo even haha. I'm already trying to decide of meth is worth the effort.

The thing I like about the Cosworth's is they show gains throughout the entire rpm range. You might get better peak hp out of the GSC's but the dyno plots I saw show they don't run as consistantly over the rpm range as does the cosworths. Maybe the dyno's I saw weren't tuned well or something, but coming from an s2000 I like nice smooth gains right up to redline.

My s2000's power curve looked like this / up to 9000rpm. After I got the SC'r it was even better :D . Sometimes I really miss that car sigh.

#27 ·
some one UP DATE THIS PAGE!!!

i shall start by saying

HKS has cams. cosworth and GSC Evo IX cams are not worth it because of the material ade to make it. im not sure about the HKs but i know the cams made by gsc and cosworth wasnt made with the good material.. correct me if im wrong, but i have heard a lot of people saying about how it cracks.

my intrests are back onto tomei cams, and hks cams. anyone else input please?

tkc

#29 ·
some one UP DATE THIS PAGE!!!
... cosworth and GSC Evo IX cams are not worth it because of the material ade to make it. im not sure about the HKs but i know the cams made by gsc and cosworth wasnt made with the good material.. correct me if im wrong, but i have heard a lot of people saying about how it cracks.
Don't take this the wrong way but; either you know, or you don't know. Don't post about what you've heard. Please let us know how GSC's and Cosworth cams use poor material.

#28 ·
HKS does not have IX cams. They have been advertising their release for a long time, but none have shown up on the market.

GSC cams are not worth it??? Yes, they are. GSC cams are the best on the market for the IX right now, followed by the Cosworth. The Turbotrix IX cams that came out first are not any good, though.

I have not seen Tomei release any yet.

#30 ·
HKS currently only has an exhaust cam for the IX.

Mr Lan Evo IX
Your on crack if you think that cosworth cams are poorly made. I've haven't heard of one single failure of Cosworth cams on the ix yet, unless it was installed by a ham fisted chimp.

Other than that they run great. A little lopey, but the idle is perfect without and dips or spikes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.