Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner

Tires

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Evil-Evolutio-8 
#1 ·
I know Theres many post about tires but I already read all of them. My first question is Should i go ahead and get 255/40/17 instead of 235/45/17 I hear there wont be any rubbing and i wouldnt mind a little more tracting in the corners. I am going to daily drive with about 5 autox's a year and maybe 25 drag passes at the most. My other question is Brand of tire. Falken RT 615's seem Bad ass. but will they last about as long as some 280 treadwear toyo T1Rs i have the toyos now and wasnt to impressed with there performance they lasted about a year. Any Info would be appreciated. Thanks

#2 ·
255/40/17's will be fine. I have them and my car is dropped with Hotchkiss springs. No rubbing at all.

As for rubber choise, if you're in an area that doesn't rain much you can get the 615's or T1R. They have poor wet traction which was a big thing to me as my car is a daily driver. I went with BF Goodrich G-Force Sports which have a 360 treadwear. Previous to that I had Federal SS595 which lasted 35000 miles and quite a few drag launches. Both tires have excellent dry traction for thier price range. If you want extreme grip and good wet performance I suggest the G-Force KDW or KDW-2.

In my own opinion I think it's pointless to use ultra high performance race rubber unless your car is a dedicated race machine. If you are serious about Auto-x you may want to invest in some light weight wheels and an R-compound or equivilent tire strictly for racing. Otherwise you're just throwing money away by wearing them out on the streets.

#3 ·
re

well ive tried dunlops and those were 300+ treadwear. for the driving i do those were not up to par. i am still on the toyo T1Rs and they were better but the side walls are a little weak and the grip could be better. Im just trying to find something in between. unfortunatly mitsu. teased us with the Advans they put on the evo. And what exactly is the gain to 255/40/17 instead of stock size? little wider or what.

#4 ·
We use 255/40s only because that happens to be the best size that the RT-615 offers. The 245/45 is too tall, and there is no 235 size. So, we get the 255s even though 255s are USUALLY too large for an 8" rim. In this case, they fit nicely on our stock rims, they perform extremely well, and they cost almost half as much as the Advans. They are considered the top replacement tire for the Advan. They won't last very long due to how soft they are, but they will last a little longer than the Advans.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.