Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner

AMS or XSPower FMIC

8K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  KenMasters 
#1 ·
Well guys i have done a little searching but couldnt find anything specific, i took my car to my local dealership here in TN, i bought eh car from SC. I was having them lolok it over and i talked to the service manager about the warrent and he sould i coudnt change any of the drivetrain of the car or it would be voided. He said i could change the intercooler and piping and bypass valve. But that is as far as he would allow. So now im deciding on an intercooler , setup i have pretty much decided on the intercooler pipe setup, I am gonna use the Injen setup with the intake. Now i have to get a "replacment" core and have decided on the AMS or XSPower from lancershop.com.
AMS http://www.lancershop.com/customer/product.php?productid=704&cat=17&page=1
XSPower http://www.lancershop.com/customer/product.php?productid=369&cat=17&page=1

Keep in mind that i am going ot upgrade turbo and fuel later when my warrenty ends. Wondering which one is better since the price difference isnt that much.

#2 ·
If I had to pick one of them, I'd pick the TurboXS one (your above link). Keep in mind TurboXS is not the same as XSPower (Chinese).
If you really want to upgrade your intercooler, increase it's face surface area and expose as much as it as you can to ambient air. The AMS one looks like it's just thicker. 80% of cooling takes place in the fist 2 inches of an intercooler's thickness. After that the cooling ambient air can't soak up much more so thicker really isn't better. However, a thicker core does make a good heat sink if your going all out drag.

#4 ·
You didn't show an XS Power. XS power is just the Ebay chinese brand, and it is no good. Turbo XS is on a different playing field than XS power - do not confuse the two brands. AMS and BR are both better than TurboXS but cost an extra $200 or so.

I do not recommend purchasing anything through Lancershop. Go through actual Evo vendors, not just an online reseller who makes a new domain name for each car platform.

As for your service manager, what he said makes no sense. Upgrading the BOV is something that many other dealers will try to blame for damages. The FMIC and UICP couldn't be much more useless in terms of performance mods, so they also don't make sense for you to upgrade. Another thing to remember is it means absolutely NOTHING when the service manager tells you these things, because if you break something valuable, the regional rep will want to inspect the car, and he'll deny the coverage on the spot the moment he sees all those shiny pipes and BOV, so keep all of that in mind. The only thing you can really get away with is a drop-in filter and cat-back.

#6 ·
The only thing you can really get away with is a drop-in filter and cat-back.

On this, sometimes some dealerships will try to blame issue on these as well. According to one dealership (which I will not name), a drop in filter can "cause excess wear my tps sensor" ROFL and they threatened to void my warranty.

If I had the cash for it, I'd go with the AMS intercooler. The turboxs isn't a bad intercooler, per se, but it doesn't cool quite as well as the AMS. As for trimming, both require trimming of the undertray. It isn't all that bad though.

#8 ·
And if the price of the part that needs replaced is more expensive than a good lawyer and months of your time, you can try and implement the legal battle that will take place if you try and get warrenty coverage based on the Manusson-Moss act.

Keith

#9 ·
The Magnusson-Moss act is worthless. You go to arbitration, and no matter what you bring in as evidence the manufacturer always wins. End of story.

You can then spend thousands of dollars on lawyer for the next 6 months to accomplish absolutely nothing.

My car is fairly modded at this point. I didn't go quite crazy enough to frag the motor anytime soon, but I just accept that if the tranny/diff/engine etc goes, I'm the one paying the bill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.