Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner

Thinking of some cams...

8K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  umiami80 
#1 ·
I've been thinking about some cams. Being that it is a street car only and will never track/race, I'm settled on a 264/264 (or equivelent) combo.
Anyone have experience with some of these?

Number one on the list is Comp Cams 119100 (intake & exhaust) from FP ($438);
http://linux.forcedperformance.net/...oduct_Code=EvoCamInt&Category_Code=Lancer_EVO

Number two, Buddy Club 264/264 ($460);
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/evo.htm

Finally number three, GSC's 264/264 ($494.01);
http://www.slowboyracing.com/shop.php?sid=&cat=2413

I don't think I need upgraded springs, but have you used 264's and thought you needed them?
Did you need cam gears?
Thanks for you input every one. :thumb:

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Couple of comments on your selections. I've always used HKS and probably always will. Every time I've heard of problems with cams, they're from other companies that regrind. Plus, every time I've heard of someone degreeing HKS cams, they've always came out spot-on straight from the box, which is not the case with other cams.

I think 264's are extremely mild. I've run 264's straight, 264/272, and 272's straight in my gsx and I liked the 272's the best. No real idle issues with a decent tune and they simply pulled great. I just finished putting 272's on my evo with adjustable cam gears (first time I've had used cam gears) and it seems to be idling fantastic at -4/-1.5. I drive my cars on the street and hate bad idle issues, lag, and hesitation as much as the next guy, but I've honestly never thought that a decently aggressive cam necessitates forgoing driveability.

I definately wouldn't say you need cam gears, but I do think it's worth the extra 200 to get them, particularly if you're going to dyno tune the car. Plus, if you ever decide to degree the cams it's necessary.

#3 ·
So of these cams do you know which are regrinds? To my understanding the three I have narrowed down were all from new billet.
I know HK$ and I don't need top of the line. This is just a street car/daily driver.
I know about the combo and straight 272's, and it's not the idle or drivability I'm concerned about. I will need to pass smog when the time comes and I can pass with straight 264's, but probably not with the combo, and definatly not with straight 272's. I'm not looking to swap cams in and out in the future so that's why I'm sticking with straight 264's.
Any other feedback on the three above cam's?

#4 ·
turbolarry said:
So of these cams do you know which are regrinds? To my understanding the three I have narrowed down were all from new billet.
I know HK$ and I don't need top of the line. This is just a street car/daily driver.
I know about the combo and straight 272's, and it's not the idle or drivability I'm concerned about. I will need to pass smog when the time comes and I can pass with straight 264's, but probably not with the combo, and definatly not with straight 272's. I'm not looking to swap cams in and out in the future so that's why I'm sticking with straight 264's.
Any other feedback on the three above cam's?
I used cams from somewhere other than HKS once (web cams) and it cost me an entire engine. The cam lobes were not properly heat treated, and flaked off into my oil system. These metal bits in the oil system destroyed the oil pump, main bearings, rod bearings, and the crank shaft. I will never go with low cost cams ever again.... not worth the risk.

On the issue of valve springs, that all depends on the lift of the cams, and how agressive the opening/closeing slope's are on the cam lobe. All of the 4g63 HKS cams have the same lift, and none of the slopes are too agressive for stock valve train equipment. I think Jun cams are higher lift and more agressive in profile and need stronger valve springs, but I am not certain on that because I have never used them myself.

Keith

#5 ·
Why not try a stagared setup? Go 264 Intake and 272 Exhaust, HSK of course. The Mild intake cam would keep vaccum high enough to keep the idle solid and the 272 exhaust to flow up top. This is great as long as you stick with the stock turbo, otherwise you may wana look at 272's.

#6 ·
Fourdoor said:
I used cams from somewhere other than HKS once (web cams) and it cost me an entire engine. The cam lobes were not properly heat treated, and flaked off into my oil system. These metal bits in the oil system destroyed the oil pump, main bearings, rod bearings, and the crank shaft. I will never go with low cost cams ever again.... not worth the risk.

On the issue of valve springs, that all depends on the lift of the cams, and how agressive the opening/closeing slope's are on the cam lobe. All of the 4g63 HKS cams have the same lift, and none of the slopes are too agressive for stock valve train equipment. I think Jun cams are higher lift and more agressive in profile and need stronger valve springs, but I am not certain on that because I have never used them myself.

Keith
Thanks Keith. :thumb:
Web Cams are right in the next city from me, but I'm not considering them. One of the cams I listed should check out OK though... right? :confused:

umiami80 said:
Why not try a stagared setup? Go 264 Intake and 272 Exhaust, HSK of course. The Mild intake cam would keep vaccum high enough to keep the idle solid and the 272 exhaust to flow up top. This is great as long as you stick with the stock turbo, otherwise you may wana look at 272's.
Again, I'm not going with any set up that includes a 272; not beacause of idle/drivabilty, but because of CA smog tests.

#10 ·
Fourdoor said:
I just don't trust anyone other than big name vendors when it comes to cams...

Keith

All three of the cams I've listed above come from very reputable vendors. I've made major ( :cry: ) purchases from RRE and SBR over the years and have always been satisfied with the pruducts they've carried. My only problem is this;
I've never heard of GSC's, but I trust SBR.
I've never heard of Buddy Club cams, but I trust RRE.
I've never dealt with FP, but for several years DSM's have been using Comp cams with very good results.
I guess I'm looking for solid reasons to rule these out and maybe consider HK$. :confused:

#11 ·
Hey Larry,

I've heard that the 264/272 combo passes smog out in CA. I would hate to see you spend the money on a mild set of cams and be disappointed on the power they put out. I'd go for the staggered combo.

I'd probably only consider HKS or Comp Cams myself - and I think FP has their own Comp Cams grinds. I'd call up Robert at FP and ask him if he's had anyone out in CA worried about smog laws. He might have some insight.

#13 ·
Ludachris said:
Hey Larry,

I've heard that the 264/272 combo passes smog out in CA. I would hate to see you spend the money on a mild set of cams and be disappointed on the power they put out. I'd go for the staggered combo.

I'd probably only consider HKS or Comp Cams myself - and I think FP has their own Comp Cams grinds. I'd call up Robert at FP and ask him if he's had anyone out in CA worried about smog laws. He might have some insight.
Scott Gray has has shed some doubt on the 264/272 combo in CA, while the 264's are an almost lock. I'll call up FP.
Thanks Luda. :thumb:

#14 ·
turbolarry said:
All three of the cams I've listed above come from very reputable vendors. I've made major ( :cry: ) purchases from RRE and SBR over the years and have always been satisfied with the pruducts they've carried. My only problem is this;
I've never heard of GSC's, but I trust SBR.
I've never heard of Buddy Club cams, but I trust RRE.
I've never dealt with FP, but for several years DSM's have been using Comp cams with very good results.
I guess I'm looking for solid reasons to rule these out and maybe consider HK$. :confused:

Here is some food for thought.... my web cams came from RRE. Great shop, but the warrenty on the cams is only for the cams themselves.... not for any engine damage they do.

Keith

#16 ·
turbolarry said:
Scott Gray has has shed some doubt on the 264/272 combo in CA, while the 264's are an almost lock. I'll call up FP.
Thanks Luda. :thumb:
I had talked to two guys in the Bay Area who had passed with the combo. I had not tried it myself. I chose a similar combo (Comp Cams) in hopes of being able to pass, but never had to try since I moved out of CA a couple months ago. I still haven't gone in to do my smog test here in CO, but I don't think I need to worry. People out here are passing with 272/272 and a cat. It's a bit more lenient.... and I hear that they're getting rid of emissions tests altogether next year. Oh how I love CO. :D

#17 ·
Fourdoor said:
Here is some food for thought.... my web cams came from RRE. Great shop, but the warrenty on the cams is only for the cams themselves.... not for any engine damage they do.

Keith

:eek:
Thanks Keith. I'm definatly going to keep that in mind.

Ludachris said:
People out here are passing with 272/272 and a cat. It's a bit more lenient.... and I hear that they're getting rid of emissions tests altogether next year. Oh how I love CO.
Hmmm... Colorado.... hmmm???

#18 ·
I spoke to FP about the 119100's;
Do not require upgraded springs (11.0mm lift) unless reving well past redline (that's not me :D )
Do not require cam gears/shims and the pins line up perfect
Made from new billet/not a regrind
I'm not affraid to try something new and can't find a valid reason not to try these cams, except I'm married with children...
Hopefully wifey gets me one for our anniversary and one for x-mas. :laugh:

#24 ·
turbolarry said:
Thanks Keith. :thumb:
Web Cams are right in the next city from me, but I'm not considering them. One of the cams I listed should check out OK though... right? :confused:

Again, I'm not going with any set up that includes a 272; not beacause of idle/drivabilty, but because of CA smog tests.

Then go 272 INTAKE and 264 EXHAUST, it's the exhaust Cams that cause emissions as they stay open longer, the Intake one is fine and will not add to emissions.

Dude just find a guy who does emissions and pay the Dude, I do :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.