Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner

launching my car??

4K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  APEX 
#1 ·
hey guys quick thread i have had my evo for about 5 months many mods on it alreday my question is thier a better way to launch my car without harming my tc??.... or anyt other transmition component??.... right now i am launching at redline while i let it hit my fuel cut off then i just find my sweet spot and then just dump it i have been doing it for a while and have had great results but as u know my tc is suffreing frm it now i think i havent found out if is yet but pretty sure though....... so how do you guys launch ur car??

#2 ·
Well, yeah, that's the worst possible way to launch. You said you are sitting still while bouncing it off your REV LIMITER?? Meaning you sit there at 7600rpm to launch, and then you dump it? Man, that is unbelievable. That is exactly why Mitsu started putting a 5k launch limiter starting with the 05 models, because kids were doing exactly what you just described. I have no idea where anyone would get the idea to do something like that, but it's a terrible idea - do not do it again and tell everyone you know not to ever do it.

The proper way to launch is to get your RPMs up between 5000-6000rpm, depending on where you're comfortable, and then as the lights come down, slowly let out the clutch until you feel it grab. Right as it grabs and starts to move the wheels, then you hammer the throttle and quickly let off the clutch. It's called "feathering," or it is also referred to as a "quick-slip." It is a method that removes all the drivetrain slack so that there is no shock to the drivetrain. It gives good 60's, is very smooth, and doesn't hurt the drivetrain, but it DOES put a lot of heat into the clutch, so the clutch will wear out faster than if you dump it. However, it's better to change the clutch than to replace the TC or Trans.

Also, I don't know if you're tuned (I sure hope so with all those mods), but if you have a flash, there should be launch control built in. If it's not, then your tuner needs to add it for you. You should not be bouncing off your normal rev limiter - there should be a much lower launch limiter. I set mine at 6000rpm and just let the rpms bounce at the line. This builds boost and helps you be more consistent.

#3 ·
yea when i got my flash they gave me a limiter that was built in and it is set at 6500 rpm and it builds eight pounds of boost but what i do is let it hit it and then just let me feel the sweet spot and then when i feel it i just tap it back in and then when the lights go just dump it so it's almost like how u said but i dnt keep it at the point wher i feel the tires move i put in the clutch a little in and then when i get my rpms up thier just drop the clutch and i get really good responses but what i said also makes sence bro i think i am going to try it so when i feel my sweet spot just give it full throttel and let the clutch go??

#4 ·
Uh, no. I don't know what you mean by sweet spot. Read what I wrote and do it like that.

Also, you did not explain yourself properly. You are not revving to redline or your rev limiter - you are using launch control. That's better than launching from 7600rpm, but you still should NEVER dump your clutch. You have to feather it to pull out the drivetrain slack.

#5 ·
are you talking about a "sweet spot" in the clutch or in the gas? with a launch control you can just hold the gas to the floor, and feel for the sweet spot in the clutch, thats what it is DESIGNED to do. We're not trying to be difficult, but your run on sentences make it hard to read, and your description isn't helping.

#6 ·
launching

When you get it right it will feel like your shot out of a sling shot,Its an amazing feeling.Coming from drag racing DSM's for the past 8 years.I got low 1.7s with the stock clutch in my 06 MR.That was done the 2nd and last time i ran it.You dont wanna dump the clutch.Its really hard on drivetrain parts.Us DSMer's learned quickly to slip the clutch.good luck.

#8 ·
Basically, but it's something you have to get the feel for. When the slack gets removed from the drivetrain, that's when you start to move, and that's when you hammer the throttle and let out the clutch quickly. However, if you use the 2-step, then your foot is on the throttle 100%, and you just work the clutch accordingly.

#12 ·
Yeah, if you have the stock clutch, it's pretty much going to stink with any non-dump launch. It takes a while to learn, and unfortunately, the clutch is what bears the brunt of your learning. Just try not to slip it too long - don't ride it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.