Auto-x let down - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Racing Forums > Road Course/Autocross Tech
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Road Course/Autocross Tech Autocross, Road Race, and Open Track Event discussions. Preparation, technique, tips, and stories from the events. Tell us about your last event.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2007, 07:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Auto-x let down

Yes as the title says....let down. I didn't win FTD or my class....I was DQ'd and the car not allowed to run.
On my first run, apparantly I was red flagged three times. I never stopped cause NO ONE was waiving a flag. Had I seen a flag I would have stopped. Why was I being red flagged? My exhaust was too loud.
So for the fact I didn't acknowledge the red flag I was told to leave. Fortunately I still have my VA plates on the car. I talked to the guys in charge and after some heated discussion and petitioning I should be given a chance to fix the problem and run, they allowed me to fix the problem and possibly run. Well my fix was steel wool, cardboard and duct tape. I passed the pit sound test, but once I launched the car the pressure from the turbo blew the silencer I made off. I made sure to look for flags and didn't see any.

When I finished I saw my time, FTD at that point by four tenths. I was told at that point I couldn't run anymore since the baffle didn't work. I didn't argue at this point. So I parked the car. I talked to a few participants about my run. I was hoping to get one more run as I am not used to the car. Once figured out, I had another second left in her, but this day I think I would only muster out about half a second or a little more.

I talked with the Chief Steward if my times would be allowed, he said no because my car was 'illegal.' So I asked if I could get my money back, and again he said no. So my times would not be allowed and I won't get my money back?????

This pissed off one of the guys I had met earlier in the day, Matt. Matt argued for me but to no avail. To 'make up for my lost money,' he offered me his car to drive... a prepared Jetta. R compounds, suspension, roll cage, stripped interior. I himmed and hawyed and finally decided to drive it after I test drove it on the street. The car has a very smooth power band, but its no Evo power. The grip is amazing along with the handling.

I run the car and on my first lap, I lap within .3 of Matt. Oh his car is in FSP but since there was no one in FSP or DSP, he was bumped to CSP. CSP is meant for Porsche 944s, built Miatas etc. Matt was able to quicken his time to 32.99 and I was able to get down to a 33.3, still .3 off of him. The car was real easy to drive, even on 3 wheels.

Matt took home 3rd in CSP and I took 4th. He was pleasantly surprised to do as well as he did in that class considering the group of cars he was running against.

It turned out to be a decent day. Besides the organizers being...I'll bite my tongue; there are some really great people in this club. If it wasn't for them, I wouldn't go back. I mean, who tosses the keys to someone they just meet and say "You can race my car if you want."? A huge thanks goes to Matt Cummings. We ended up hanging out most of the day and like you guys he is great to be around. I've already told him at the next event, he's driving my car.

Check out Matt's sight and some of the cars he and his friends play around with.
http://addictionracing.com/

Results
http://www.cartct.com/08-26-07.shtml
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2007, 10:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Yeah, we have decibel restrictions at some sites that are self-imposed so that we don't get complaints from nearby inhabitants. The limit is 93db, and ever since adding the Buschur catless TBE, I've had to use a similar contraption with chicken wire, steel wool, and a large hose clamp. Sometimes, mine shoots off if I get to do a full 6k 2-step launch, but I can keep it on there if I tighten it enough with a ratchet. If there's no full launch, then it's never a problem.

We also give DNFs for being over the sound limit. It's incumbent upon the individual to know the rules and ensure the sound limit is not broken, which is why there is no refund.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

I hear ya Clay.
I had never been told my exhaust was too loud. I know its loud, but no one has ever mentioned it being too loud till now.
I was able to get my 5 runs in for the day thanks to Matt. Now its on to making a permanent sound trap.

I forgot to mention the guy that took FTD with his SM2 350z is going to Nationals. Maybe you'll see him there.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

ldstang50: Sounds like a frustrating experience but no worries man, sometimes the rules work for you and sometimes against you. But the best thing about AutoX is the people you meet IMHO....some top notch enthusiasts out there. Guys like Mike are the reason I have no real desire to move up the motorsport ladder except for fun; the cameraderie of AutoX, and its relatively non-commercial, amateur status, just keeps me coming back for more FUN!

That FTD will sooner or later be yours, especially now that you are motivated by revenge ;D

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement