Cincy Region Test and Tune - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Racing Forums > Road Course/Autocross Tech
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Road Course/Autocross Tech Autocross, Road Race, and Open Track Event discussions. Preparation, technique, tips, and stories from the events. Tell us about your last event.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2007, 12:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Cincy Region Test and Tune

So my first autox of the year turned out to be full of snow, excitement, lots of runs, and a nearly totalled Mallett Corvette!!

Started off the day meeting the local crew at 7:00 to make the hour and a half drive at McD's. Only theres a small problem, its snowing : We head up anyways, and as we pull into town to make the 9 oclock gate opening, we all get a phone call saying the lot is covered in a dusting of snow, and things are delayed an hour. So everyone invades Bob Evans to wait things out (more breakfast )
Finally they open the lot, things start melting, and the day rolls on; cold, windy, and wet. Luckily, the wind and small amounts of sun seem to be drying to the lot, at least some.

While a map or video would be ideal, lets see if I can describe it well enough to give you guys the idea. So the course starts with a straight just long enough to shift to second, then a 45 degree right into a 4 cone slalom. 45 degrees back left into a chicago box, then 90 degree left onto a long straight that let me wind all the way to the top of 2nd(while trying to avoid the water running across the track from melting snow). at the end of the straight, two 90 degree lefts(or 1 large left powerslide when I couldnt stay out of the water), short straight, 120 degrees back right into a very fast 3 cone slalom. Hard brake at end of slalom to get turned almost back around, then hard on it into a chicago box on the right, and then left. Two more 90 degree lefts take us into the very long drag race finish, once again through a little water.
Fastest car of the day was in the high 46's, but if anybody has heard of Danny Popp and his alien fast driving, they understand that time is freaky. average fast car time was in the 49s, while my lowly street tires only eeked out a 51.0. Overall an awesome day, I got around 12-15 runs in total. Re-Learned a lot about my car, like how street tires DO NOT do more than one thing at once. They can slow, accel, or turn, but not at the same time. I can't wait to get some race tires, should make for a hell of a lot more speed.

Oh yeah, the mallett corvette. First time I saw a car go "dukes of hazzard" style in real life. Remember that little bit of water on the finish stretch I talked about? Turns out that 500hp thru water can get a little sideways. Well she corrected for the first fishtail to the right, and never straightened the wheel back out. there is a 10-15 ft grass hill that I guess is supposed to hide the lot from the street. At full throttle and pointing sideways, it became a ramp that launched the corvette up and over. Luckily she (yes, a 60 yr old woman was racing!) landed just before the bottom of the hill on the other side, and it prevented the car from plowing headfirst into the road. The driver and passenger both seem to have turned out ok, but there was a lot of fiberglass, carbon fiber, and various other expensive parts that didnt fair as well.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2007, 01:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Wow, 12-15 runs!! That's awesome for your first time, but don't get too used to that, hah, unless the events are always small. We get 6 runs AT MOST if it's a low-attendance Winter event, but we only get 4 during summer events. 12-15 is amazing and great for learning the car.

Anyway, good on you for getting out and getting the season started. Keep us up to date on all your racing exploits throughout the year. If you follow the instructions posted by Ludachris, then you can get your annual fees paid for if you do SCCA...

Old 03-07-2007, 01:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

This wasnt my very first event, just first of the year. And during normal events we only get 4-6 runs apiece, but this was a limited entry event specifically to allow a lot of runs. It was set-up to break in the timing equipment, set-up, and shake loose the cobwebs.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Dynosheet: 424whp/401 lb-ft
Nice! Where are the pics?

Old 03-08-2007, 10:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

unfortunately, I cant find anybody with pics yet I guess it was to cold for spectators to hang out with cameras. I know some people have video, I'll see if I can find some.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement