Making an Evo into a race car...the Warrtalon way - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Racing Forums > Road Course/Autocross Tech
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Road Course/Autocross Tech Autocross, Road Race, and Open Track Event discussions. Preparation, technique, tips, and stories from the events. Tell us about your last event.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2006, 08:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Making an Evo into a race car...the Warrtalon way

Clean, simple, elegant, yet DOMINANT - that's how I want my Evo to be known. No gaudy body kits, no unnecessary accoutrements, no CF pieces everywhere to save 5 lbs for a few thousand dollars. Nothing that I don't need and everything I do need - one step at a time.

Out with the old:

And in with the new:

After installing all the suspension bushings, shocks/springs, and end links, it was time to roll the fenders:

Had to roll the fenders to fit these:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2006, 08:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

After installing everything, it was time to corner balance it 50/50 crossangled. Ride height was set exactly to spec, and then the car was aligned to exact specs for two setups: race and street (I will swap camber/toe in my garage before/after races).

15 hours later, the car was ready, and I drove home, arriving at 3am. At 6am, I got up and left for Sunday's SCCA auto-x where I competed in SM. I arrived on my street setup consisting of the stock BBS rims and 255/40-17 Falken Azeni RT-615s:

Then I switched to my race setup, consisting of 18X9.5 Enkei NT03+M's wrapped in 285/30-18 Kumho Ecsta V710s:

I proceeded to accomplish this:

http://www.rmsolo.org/msp_eventpts.php?rep=2_20061210WS

The only "car" to beat my raw time was a Formula 125 Shifter Kart who beat me by 1.2s. The next closest car to me was 1.8s slower, and it looked like this:

http://home.comcast.net/~stalker-v6/images/Black.jpg

Clean, simple, elegant, yet DOMINANT. Look for me in SCCA Solo II events this year as well as the new TTS class in NASA (time trials - road racing) while sporting the VIP colors...

Disclaimer: This was a winter event, so it didn't count towards season standings, which means we had half the normal competitors and many of the elite drivers were not present. However, there were still a few of the top drivers in their normal cars. The 3rd place guy overall finished 2nd nationally this year in DS.

Last edited by Warrtalon; 02-21-2007 at 07:02 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: Tri State
Holy poop, good for you. I ran 11K Front and 9k Rear, VERY stiff but I liked it. It Also looked like you had the best car cept for the STI. What did the MR2 have done in terms of suspension mods? I can't see any of the other cars being a better track car except for Formula 125 Shifter Kart. Do you think you could have made up the 1.2 with more practice?

Old 12-11-2006, 09:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

That SI must have been a screamer too. VERY impressive for a FF car.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Which STi are you referring to? I don't think there was a better STi! Not sure what the MR2 has done - he doesn't normally finish that high. The ITR is awesome and driven by an expert. There was a C6 Z06, regular C6, and several other Vettes, including that B-Prepared C4, but they couldn't keep up!

Actually, I do believe that a good driver could have made up that 1.2s difference. I am new to racing in general, and of course brand new to anything with an actual suspension and good tires, so that was quite a learning experience. With time and practice, I think I could improve enough to make up that 1.2s, but it wouldn't be easy.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yes, that Civic is awesome and very well prepped for STS. He beat me at EVERY event this past season (indexed times) before my "upgrade," so it's good to see the pendulum shift...

Old 12-12-2006, 07:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

Very nice work, Warrtalon (and congrats on your victory as well!).

If you don't mind me asking, what does your complete suspension set-up consist of? I looked on your mod list in your profile but didn't see these new additions.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

Ohlins R&T's re-valved
700f/900r Hypercoil springs
Camber plates
Top hats
Suspension bushings for rear sway, front sway, and rear control arms
End links

I think that's all the parts. It was all installed then meticulously configured according to specs designed by Paul Gerrard through 2 years of on-track and in-shop testing. They have a $140,000 shock dyno where they have tested the re-valving time and time again with different shims until getting it right. For someone else trying to mimic the setup, they would probably not have as much success with the Ohlins R&Ts, since they are single-adjustable, but with the combination of everything used during this design, these are giving me performance levels that rival more expensive, more complicated shocks.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon View Post
Which STi are you referring to? I don't think there was a better STi! Not sure what the MR2 has done - he doesn't normally finish that high. The ITR is awesome and driven by an expert. There was a C6 Z06, regular C6, and several other Vettes, including that B-Prepared C4, but they couldn't keep up!
Oh I am sorry I meant that the Evo was a better car then any of the competition cept' maybe the STI. With that stiff of a suspension do you get jarring bump steer? I would immagine that the Z06 made a lot of tire smoke and snap oversteer in the turns.

Also why get a front sway? From what I hear the Evo would respond better to a Rear sway and with personal experience I can say it dramatically increased turn in and virtually eliminated understeer even on my 2003 Evo VIII open front diff. Wouldn't a front sway bring back the understeer a little?

Then again I only ran street tires.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hmm, no, S2000s and Vettes pretty much own us as better stock platforms - same with the Elises and E36 M3s. STis are even with us for the most part.

I don't have a front sway or rear sway - those remained stock. An upgraded rear sway only eliminates understeer by inducing oversteer and robbing you of grip. My setup increases grip up front to reduce understeer so that I don't create a problem to solve a problem. It's a very ingenuous design that maximizes everything the car has to offer. A rear sway is only good if you aren't going to do a full setup, since it does cure understeer for the most part, though it doesn't really add much to lap times by itself.

Old 12-12-2006, 12:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

Is this the kind of set-up you can go to a website and order up, or do you have to have it to custom installed?

If I end up finding I spend enough time at the track to make getting a new suspension justifiable, something like this looks very tempting (although I doubt I'd want to tackle anything as complex as a suspension upgrade myself - something like this it's better to pay someone with experience to do it up for you, IMO).

Also, I assume this isn't purely for track use, as you've said before that you use the car on a daily basis - how does it fair outside of the smooth track surfaces and on real roads?
Old 12-12-2006, 01:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

This is a package that was 2 years in the making and then was released recently by Vishnu. They did most of the testing with the 450f/550r setup, since most people WON'T be racing as religiously as I do, but since I wanted to be fast and don't mind sacrificing comfort, I went with the 700f/900r, which is 2 steps above what they originall started with. I got to ride in the Evo of Paul Gerrard, the pro who built all of this, on the road for 45mins and then on the track for several laps before making my decision.

Yes, this is for going FAST on the track, not for the average person who daily drives, but they also spent a ton of time ensuring that the damping is just right so that it's perfect on the track and still tolerable on the road. It is obviously way more stiff and less comfortable than my stock Bilsteins, but it's well within my threshold for pain/discomfort, especially knowing that it is now a verifiable track monster whose only weak link is the driver (for now).

Old 12-13-2006, 10:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Dynosheet: 424whp/401 lb-ft
Clay, just saw this thread - great news man. Congrats on the strong finish!

Can't wait to go for a ride with the new setup. Must be a huge difference.

Old 12-13-2006, 10:42 AM   #14 (permalink)

Yes, it is a night and day difference. Hell, I bet I can whoop myself now on the street setting with street tires vs my old setup with race tires - the suspension setup is THAT GOOD. Then, toss on the 285s, and it is ridiculous.

PS. Give me a call, man. I tried to call your cell when I was in Ft Collins getting everything installed. I wanted to stop by on the way home, but I only got your voice mail and didn't hear back from you. The voice mail didn't give your name, so I wasn't even sure it was your number anymore...

Old 12-14-2006, 06:01 AM   #15 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Dynosheet: 424whp/401 lb-ft
Hey Clay, what's the weight split front and back on your car (Evos in general)? I always thought they were more nose heavy, yet you have less spring in the front... just curious.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement