More auto-x troubles - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Racing Forums > Road Course/Autocross Tech
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Road Course/Autocross Tech Autocross, Road Race, and Open Track Event discussions. Preparation, technique, tips, and stories from the events. Tell us about your last event.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2007, 12:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

More auto-x troubles

Two weeks ago I attended another CART CT auto-x. I finished about 5th overall and 3rd in class.

I let my friend Matt drive the car again. Matt is the one who let me drive his car a few weeks before. I let him drive the car two weeks prior and he did very good with it. He wasn't driving it very hard last time, so this week I told him to hammer on her hard.

Also prior to the auto-x I switched springs around and added more camber up front. The way the suspension came from the factory was 8kg front and 6kg rear. I switched those around to get the car to plant on turn in and oversteer more on exit. I also added camber to about a total of -3.8deg up front.

The course to me was a modified Nascar track. You started out of this shoot and had to make a tight right hander, that lead to a left hand sweeper that tightened up for a quick kink. The kink exited to a soft left hander that ran back into the first left hand sweeper. At the end of the sweeper the 2nd time we had a skidpad, and guess which direction you went....left. The skidpad exited to a left hander that went quick right then left to the exit. So the rights were going to get abused.

The 350z immediately lays down a fast time of 32.9. Clearly faster than anyone at that time. Matt takes off and lays down a 33.9 on his first run and I run off course. I am so lost out there GPS couldn't help me. I watch closely to the other cars and work the course. I delay my 2nd run because I'm still lost. Getting into the skidpad is confusing because there are so many cones. On my 2nd run I go a little faster but slow up a lot getting into the skid pad trying not to run off course. I get through it cleanly but clearly not as fast as I can go. I finish my run with a 33.2, good enough for 3rd in class.

Now that I know how to get into the skidpad I know I have well over a second to pick up. Matt meanwhile runs a 33.43 with my car. But getting messed up into the skidpad. That puts him behind me.

Nick has dropped his time to 32.2, FTD. While James in his Sti have run 32.7. The car is handling awesome, I know I can get these guys and so can Matt. I tell Matt to hammer it hard this time out. I want both me and him to beat Nick and James. Matt takes off good, out of the right hander he grabs 2nd hard and the car oversteers to the right (he was steering for the sweeper), the car snaps back and tags a cone, without him knowing. He runs fast but gets messed up getting into the skid pad again. He crosses though with a 32.1. Faster than Nick. WOW! They are about to call him for FTD when the cone gets called in.

Now its up to me. I know the car has FTD in it easily. I take off easy, not wanting to do what Matt did. But get in it hard after. I know I'm running good, I hit the rev limiter in 2nd on my 2nd time through the sweeper. I nail the skid pad entrance and the skid pad itself. As I'm exiting, a corner worker is waving a red flag, I immediately stop and the car stalls. He then waves me to go but the car won't start. I finally get her started only to hear a tapping noise when I rev the engine. I push her off and people come running over to push me off course.

I pop the hood to look around. I immediately look at the TB area and notice the TB is loose. I have tools to fix it, but not enough time as we are losing the lot at 3pm. My buddy Matt calls his AAA and I get the car towed back home for free. We work on it a bit. In taking everything off the TB is loose, but I didn't jump timing. I set it to TDC with the belt the way it was and didn't have to change a thing. I notice the actual TB pulley is loose, I try fixing it with what I have but to no avail. Fortunately for me my buddy Jerry is a Mitsu genius tech. He has the special tool for tightening the pulley. He UPS it to me with the ALLDATA information.

This past weekend I reset everything, started the car and she idled fine. At 2000rpm and on idle down you can hear a metal tapping. I notice the TB got loose also from when I set it. So I'm thinking I have a bad pulley. I'm going to pull it apart this weekend and try it again, I don't like the noise at all. I've been through too many motors and don't want to build another one.

On another note, we had another auto-x this weekend. Matt let me drive his car. He kicked my ass, but I still finished 2nd in class. One more race this year. I WILL take FTD if I have the car.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2007, 03:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Best of luck, never give up!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement