racing harness - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Racing Forums > Road Course/Autocross Tech
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Road Course/Autocross Tech Autocross, Road Race, and Open Track Event discussions. Preparation, technique, tips, and stories from the events. Tell us about your last event.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2007, 02:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

racing harness

hey fellas. i was wondering if there are any racing harnesses out there that are usable without a harness bar?
something like this
http://www.soloracer.com/wrxstirallye4.html

this is only for autox. i use the lock-the-seatbelt-and-move-your-seat-forward trick now but drove my buddies suby with one of those clip in harnesses from soloracer and loved it.

just wondering if anyone knew of anything out there?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2007, 09:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
You don't have to have a harness bar anyway. You can connect to the LATCH system in the backseat.

However, even with my SM-prepped Evo, I don't use a harness. I just use a $40 CG lock, and it's great. I will get a harness after I put in a roll bar or cage, but that's because of my road racing. For auto-x, it's ok to have a harness without rollover protection due to the low speeds, but don't use the harness without rollover protection on track or when daily driving.

Old 04-15-2007, 12:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

i wouldnt use it on the street only for autox for sure.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

I wouldn't connect it to the LATCH system, a better idea is to get two eye bolts to put in where your stock tongue and receptor attach. Then you can just clip in your harness when needed while still retaining your stock seat belt setup in the rear. The angle where the harness mounts into the rear is also more where it should be. I'm using a G-force harness for autoX in the longest version they have. Hope that helps!
Old 04-16-2007, 07:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

i want to keep my stock seatbelts in the front as well. the eye bolts make sense though. how do you keep your seatbelt beeper from going off constantly while your running?
Old 04-16-2007, 08:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Plug in the seatbelt, then unplug it - simple.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostinpsi View Post
i want to keep my stock seatbelts in the front as well. the eye bolts make sense though. how do you keep your seatbelt beeper from going off constantly while your running?

Underneath the seat is a white plug that controls the seatbelt sensor, unplugging that disables the sensor. What I do is unbolt the stock latch on the right (17mm bolt) and bolt in the right side of the harness lap belt. Takes about 5 minutes to do it.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

i have just added my latches to the mounting bolts for the rear seat belts. I think a 4 point harness, crossed in the back and then attatched over your lap would be easy and work well.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

could i just bolt the clips with the stock belt still installed. like the harness attatch point is on the outside of the stock belt attach point but sharing the same bolt?

get what i mean? im probably going to run a 3 pointer and use one of the baby seat mounts on the rear deck as the attach point. i guess you could use a 4 pt one as well since there is 3 of those child seat attach points per side of the car.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:22 AM   #10 (permalink)

yes, my harness is installed with all the factory belts. the only thing I dont like about it is the fact that my shoulder belts join in a Y, and I didnt want to attatch to the baby seat, so I attatched it to the bottom of the left rear seat belt bolt (longer bolt needed I believe) that makes the whole thing slant left, and the Y makes the shoulder straps just barely long enough to attatch. That is why, if I could do it again, I would just get a 4 point with seperate shoulder straps. Mine is actually a five point, I just dont use the crotch belt.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:29 PM   #11 (permalink)

i m not worried about the Y design because it will only be installed during an autox so there will be noone in my backseat so i can use the baby seatmount. 4 point would be jsut as good. any suggestions on a decent, low priced harness. doesnt have to be competition certified just something taht will work for autox.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:21 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostinpsi View Post
i m not worried about the Y design because it will only be installed during an autox so there will be noone in my backseat so i can use the baby seatmount. 4 point would be jsut as good. any suggestions on a decent, low priced harness. doesnt have to be competition certified just something taht will work for autox.
Not to be too personal but are you a big guy or small waisted because that will play a role into the decision of what harness to get and how comfortable it is. If you're on the small side, the G-force belts will work fine and you'll be comfortable. If you're on the plus side, the schroth harness will be a better choice because the standard camlock belts tend to ride up on you.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:12 AM   #13 (permalink)

I'd check around with local race shops,you can find decent ones for 50-75, my 5 pt, y-back, cam lock only cost 100.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:46 PM   #14 (permalink)

there arent to many race shops here but ill check it out. theres a guy on evom selling his schroth 4pt for 60 bucks.

im a smaller guy but a couple guys i know have subies with scroth harnesses in them ill try and test fit one.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:36 AM   #15 (permalink)

Im looking exactly for the same, a better way to keep myself steady in the darn seat

Warr: Even with the CGLock I really move a lot around in my seat adjusted as much as I can bear for 7 laps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement