Recommendations on gauge positioning for a competition car. - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Racing Forums > Road Course/Autocross Tech
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Road Course/Autocross Tech Autocross, Road Race, and Open Track Event discussions. Preparation, technique, tips, and stories from the events. Tell us about your last event.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2007, 10:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Recommendations on gauge positioning for a competition car.

I realise that I might be about to be flamed for posting this in what seems like the wrong thread but hear me out:

I actively participate in autocross events and track days with a heavy emphasis on autocross...in fact I purchased my EVO specifically to use as a competitive but street-liveable autocross car. I'm planning on getting the usual Defi gauge setup - link control unit + boost, water temp, oil temp and oil pressure gauges - but ended up getting into a heated debate with another EVO owner about the ideal place to position the gauges in the context of competitive track use.

I was planning to mount them in the centre console area (with boost on the steering column) as opposed to going the sticky-tape-on-dash route in order to preserve the cleanest sightlines over the hood possible but at the expense of instant legibility. My counterpart in the discussion was quite insistent that dash-top mounting was better for track use, under the logic that looking all the way down to the console wasn't the ideal setup since it would be harder to monitor the car's vitals at a glance under race conditions.

I sat in his car with the dash-mounted gauges in it and sure enough, my view of the front right corner of the car was blocked however his theory about easy of legibility proved to have merit.

I'm interested to know what others think who compete in their cars on a regular basis.

And please note that I don't give a hoot about looks - this is all about functionality.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2007, 12:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Dynosheet: 424whp/401 lb-ft
No flaming here, not to worry. I prefer to mount them as close to the gauge cluster as possible without them interfering with vision out of the windshield. If you can see them well without taking your eye off the driving line for a long period of time with them in the center console you should be good. Try to keep them all in the same area though - I recently moved my boost gauge from the A-pillar to the center console with my other gauges because I was having to look from one side to another and at the gauge cluster too. Sit in your seat and just visualize how you'd be looking at your gauges and get a feel for which ones need to be where. I know everyone tends to give priority to the boost gauge but you might want to give priority to water temp or oil temp or oil pressure or something else. I've noticed recently I need to move my wideband a/f gauge to a better position.

On a side note, could I ask you to use a photo of your car for your Avatar instead of the one you have now? We'd like everyone to follow suit on this.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

I agree with putting them just a short glance away from your siteline.

One trick i learned from helping one of my buddies with his road race car is to mount the gauges turned so that when they are reading at optimal operating levels the pointer just points straight up. that way you can glance and just amke sure the pointers are all straight up instead of trying to read the little numbers then analyze that in your head.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys, just waiting for Warrtalon to chime in now

Will have to sit in the car awhile and have a think about it.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Dynosheet: 424whp/401 lb-ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
Thanks guys, just waiting for Warrtalon to chime in now

Will have to sit in the car awhile and have a think about it.
Clayton only has a boost gauge if I remember right. Don't know that he's played with gauge location yet...

Old 08-30-2007, 04:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

If you are truly into racing your car, the best spot for your gauges is in spot where they can be easily read.
That being said, Buschur sales a 2 gauge pod that mounts over the steering column so its not too far to look down at them.
I have the Craig Hardy gauge panel with the Defi gauges. Even though they mount fine and are easy to read, I find this to even be a bit far to look.
And as far as auto-x goes, I hardly look at my gauges during and auto-x. Thats why I got the Defi's....to record and see what my gauges were trying to tell me.
The only time I've looked at my gauges is during track days, when I have enough open straight away to look away from whats in front of me.
Boostin makes a good point, mount them so when they are readin normal temps or pressures, the needles are straight up and down, that way you know instantly if something is off
Old 08-30-2007, 04:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

I've seen the Craig Hardy kit and am currently inclined to go that route...I'm thinking a boost gauge on the column and some defis in the centre console will suffice nicely for my needs. As you pointed out, ldstang50, the Defis with the link ECU do have that recording ability which is likely all I'll need for my purposes. Plus they do have that warning capability so if they start throwing alerts at me on a track day I'd know to back off that way.

All while preserving a clean line of sight over the hood and avoiding those hideous pillar mounts!

Good input guys, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement