Skip Barber 3 Day Race School - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Racing Forums > Road Course/Autocross Tech
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Road Course/Autocross Tech Autocross, Road Race, and Open Track Event discussions. Preparation, technique, tips, and stories from the events. Tell us about your last event.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2007, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Skip Barber 3 Day Race School

I completed the 3 day Skip Barber Race School yesterday. I started Monday and finished yesterday afternoon. First off let me say this, what an experience!! I was a decent driver before, but now I have weapons at my disposal I would have never dreamed of. I soon realized I had the skill but just didn't know how to apply or better yet properly apply it.

My class was 19 students, pretty large by any means. But the instruction we got was awesome. In my class were 2 Mercedes Benz test drivers, a 13yr old kid who has been racing go karts since he was 5 and a Busch North series driver.

We get broken down into two groups where one group is out lapping, the other is getting coached or watching the cars on the track with an instructor getting pointers.

We also shared the cars with someone in the other group. So if they spun and flat spotted the tires or wrecked....well if they wrecked you got another car, but flat spots....you had to deal with those.

The first day starts off with an 'auto-x' of sorts with the race cars. The race cars are 1300lb formula cars with 130hp Dodge engines. They run street tires to keep the speeds down. You almost lay in the cars. It looks uncomfortable, but it really isn't.

I'll skip the slow stuff and tell you what they taught us then get to my spin and open lapping. During the first two days you learn double clutch heel toe downshifting (yes double clutch), singe clutch heel toe downshifting, threshold braking, trail braking, trailing throttle, skid control, double file starts, and passing. During the three days you have a rev limit for every gear when you are out there. At first its low at 3300rpm. Then the next time its 3600. You basically get a 300 rpm increase everytime. The redline is 6300. When we were out on track doing practice, we would stop on the front straight away to either be waived on, or get a two radio handed to us and get coaching from one of the instructors who was out on course somewhere.

Lime Rock is very short circuit so you get coaching from almost all points of the track.

On day three, yesterday the instructors see I'm the fastest one in my group if not the class. I'm hitting most of my marks but I need work in the left hander, the uphill and the downhill corners. Its 'only' three corners but LRP is only 7 corners so thats almost half of them.

Right before the morning session ends, I'm moving along very quickly. An instructor is with the students at the exit of West Bend. Its a good viewing area to see how people carry their speed through it and into the downhill, its the most important part of the track for good lap times. I go through West Bend very quickly, knowing I am catching the guy in front of me. I go at 30% throttle then back to full at compression through the apex. Well the guy in front of me didnt' go full throttle so I closed up too quickly on him, while still having the wheel turned tracking out towards the exit, I completed lifted off the gas, the rear then tried swapping with the front....I tried correcting but I couldn't so before she could spin I went both feet in. She spun on track so I was facing the way I came from, seeing that, I released the brake and the counter steer I put in a half second ago swung the front back around to the way I wanted to go, I immediatly put it in 3rd and continued on. All this happend in less than a second at over 80mph.

Here's a map
http://limerock.com/pdf/lrpmapweb.pdf

So to open lapping. I got a few good laps before running into traffic. I came through the downhill turn a few times with the rear end really stepping out or twitching around. After our first session one instructor said I was the most exciting person to watch in a while come through the downhill. He said there were a few times he thought I was gonna lose it. Nope, just keep your foot in it and eyes up. Another instructor had this to say after I told him my limited racing experience, "I've been doing this for over 30 yrs, I've taught the Andretti's, Jeff Gordon and many other marque racing names, and you are one of the fastest drivers I've ever seen. If you tighten up your lines, which we can help you with, you are going to be extremely fast."

I watch the other group as they do their last open session. To add to the fun, two professional R/T 2000 drivers (Skip Barber Pro Series Cars) go out. They are lapping with the Busch Series driver. I get the Busch guy at 63 and the other two at mid 62s. Not bad for little 130hp cars. When the Busch guy got passed by them, you can see him 'downloading' information as he followed them. He was soon running their times.

They come in and I head out for my final session. Before heading out, I notice my two front tires have flat spots in them. I call a mechanic over to have him check them out, he says they aren't bad, if they had more time they would change them. Seeing as my tires are shot and its the last session of our last day, I'll turn it back a bit so I can go home and type this out.

My first two laps are always warm up laps for me, I'm at about 70%, I like making sure my tires are warm and my brakes are working, I also check the gauges to make sure everything is in check. I open it up and within 1.5laps I have traffic. I get by them and do two good laps but not as hard as before. I'm not hitting the downhill as hard, I'm going a little slower into the uphill trying to get my apex down. But I'm still going deep into turn 1 and getting 2 and 3 really good. I drive through a spin and finally get 4 laps to myself. I play around with my turn in points for west bend and the uphill. I'm just too scared to turn in early for the uphill and west bend scares me cause of how fast it is.

So we come in and get coaching. I got turns 1-4 perfect I'm told, the uphill I'm late, west bend I can carry a little more speed, the downhill is fine I'm told. I told the instructors I slowed down a bit through the last three turns cause it was the end of the day. Thats when John, an instructor says, thats pretty good cause me and Rob had you at 62.6, 62.2, 62.3, 62.4 and 62.2 on laps where you were out in the open. They both agree I am very fast.

So we head up and receive our certificates and permits. Before taking off Phil, the head instructor says he wants to speak with me. I happily oblige and walk with him to the other instructors where they proceed to tell me that between all of them they see hundreds of students a year if not a thousand. And maybe 2 or 3 impress them enough to say something. They then told me they want me to find a way and race with them in the Skip Barber Pro Series. They give me a packet with info on scholarships for the next step (2 day advance school). I say thanks but I only want to do if I would be competitive. They tell me the first time out I would be in the sportsman class (rookie) where they have no doubt I would win. With that, the chief steward would more than likely move me up to the pro class where I would be a top 8 driver. We talk more racing for a bit before I have to leave. I run into the Busch series driver to find out he lives very close to me. We exchange numbers and I ask what his schedule is like. He said he is practicing this weekend with teh Busch car at LRP. I told him I'd love to join him if I could, he smiles and says I actually want you to so I can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

All in all it was a great time. I now have my SCCA regional license, a Skip Barber novice permit and some great new friends. I'm really thinking about going further with this.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2007, 06:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Man, that's awesome. I knew you had the talent, too, so now I wonder how I would fare. It's one thing to do "well," but it's another to be approached and asked to pursue pro racing.

Makes me raise an eyebrow...hmmmmm!

Old 08-02-2007, 09:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

if you got the money clayton, do it. I recommend skip barber because its the largest and most recognized racing school in the world. you are very good, but trust me you will learn. and you will be fast. who knows, if you do it, we could be racing each other again

Old 08-03-2007, 07:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

No doubt I would learn. Everything is pure instinct right now plus a 20-min Skip Barber DVD that I watched, haha (Going Faster). Those guys would have to spend a while straightening me out, but I would be willing to listen, since I don't know how to do any of the stuff you listed above except trailbraking, and I'm sure they could improve that skill considerably.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Dynosheet: 424whp/401 lb-ft
Wow Liam, that's huge! Hopefully it turns into something for you.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

congrats man! my buddy just got finished up with his 3-day last week at LimeRock. it seems like a great course to learn on despite the lack of left turns!(How did your left hand/arm feel after the session, haha!) I heard the downhill is INTENSE!

I'm up there a lot with SCCA club racing (crewing for a friends American Sedan). I haven't taken a course yet, but it is definitely planned for the future. We are awaiting the arrival of my buddy's DVD video package. He plans on racing his 2nd gen, awd Eclipse.

great post, best of luck!
Old 08-27-2007, 09:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

im trying to talk my parents into helping me out for this course for a joined bday and xmas present at laguna seca.

looks like a bunch of fun.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

That would be 10 years of joined b-day and xmas presents!

Old 08-28-2007, 06:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

the downhill is pretty intense same with the uphill.

The downhill I came out of west bend in 3rd gear at full throttle, I UP shifted to 4th at the bridge then went to about 30% throttle. I made my turn still at 30% then at the apex I was rolling back onto full throttle. I carried so much speed through there. The car got loose on me a few times on exit. I really had to concentrate on doing what your body doesn't want to do......stay on the gas. By staying on the gas the car is more stable, if you let off its a guaranteed spin.

The uphill I'd scrub off a little speed, turn in early (not early enough) then full throttle right at the apex. A little more steering right at the rise to pull the car in and then full the car get light and the rear tires spin as I crested the hill. It was fun.

I recommend this or the high performance school to anyone. You'll learn no matter what your level is
Old 08-28-2007, 07:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon View Post
That would be 10 years of joined b-day and xmas presents!
it would be totally worth it though
Old 08-30-2007, 04:04 AM   #11 (permalink)

Well done ldstang50! Don't think many people get that kind of feedback on their driving from pros!

I've only done high performance circuit training at the Dubai Autodrome, 5 sessions on 5 separate occasions in 3 different cars - Audi A4s, Caterhams and small formla cars. Absolutely the best thing I ever did in terms of improving my driving! But the way you described the Skip Barber experience, it's definitely a huge leap ahead of anything I've experienced in terms of the quality of instruction and the level of skills they teach you. I can only dream of taking that level of high performance driver straining someday in the far future.

To be recognized in that kind of environment is truly an acheivement. I think you really should consider taking it further if you have the time and means, how many chances in life does one get to enjoy such an opportunity?

Just my 2c.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement