CO emissions and inspection - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Community > The Hangout
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

The Hangout All non-tech and non-EVO related discussions. Login and say hello.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2006, 06:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

CO emissions and inspection

Couldn't find the answer on the Colorado MV site. But it did say that El Paso county has a basic emissions test. What all is involved in that test?

Also, is there a safety inspection requirement in Colorado?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2006, 08:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Quote:
Originally Posted by beast464
Couldn't find the answer on the Colorado MV site. But it did say that El Paso county has a basic emissions test. What all is involved in that test?

Also, is there a safety inspection requirement in Colorado?
Hah, I need to figure this out, too, so I can get registered. They are supposed to be doing away with the emissions any time now, but it hasn't happened yet. When we registered my wife's truck, she had to first get an inspection, and that included both the safety and emissions in one inspection. I saw the report, and it had the 1000rpm idle and 2500rpm idle tests with all the emissions readings for each chemical, so I'm guessing they did a tailsniffer. I probably won't pass with cams and test pipe, so I'm trying to figure out what else I can do. Another Evo owner up here told me they had a 5-year exemption for new cars, but I haven't looked into it yet.

Old 03-22-2006, 09:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Hah, I need to figure this out, too, so I can get registered. They are supposed to be doing away with the emissions any time now, but it hasn't happened yet. When we registered my wife's truck, she had to first get an inspection, and that included both the safety and emissions in one inspection. I saw the report, and it had the 1000rpm idle and 2500rpm idle tests with all the emissions readings for each chemical, so I'm guessing they did a tailsniffer. I probably won't pass with cams and test pipe, so I'm trying to figure out what else I can do. Another Evo owner up here told me they had a 5-year exemption for new cars, but I haven't looked into it yet.
The five year thing is ture for new cars (i work at a nissan/vw dealer and all the new cars have Emissions exempt stickers) but im not sure if they will include your evo in that best bet would be to call the DMV and see what they say. and a little trick to pass emissions that my dad told me is to dump a bottle of rubbing alachol in to your gas tank (not sure if it will work for cams and no cat but it worked with a 1982 VW rabbit with no cat) hope that helps

Old 03-27-2006, 09:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Dynosheet: 424whp/401 lb-ft
Hey guys, I have cams in my DSM and it passed the sniffer test with an old cat. They didn't do much in the way of a visual except for checking to see if it had a cat. Clay, I think with any out of state car you have to get it inspected no matter what. If you bought the car here you might qualify for the exemption, but I don't think that applies when you move in from out of state.

Old 03-27-2006, 02:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

It is just a sniffer test. I recently had to get my RX7 to pass emissions and that thing has a near dead cat and at the time was running extremely rich from what turned out to be a bad plug wire. I failed the test(obviously) the first time I took it to be tested. A few minutes later I went to a different shop and paid an extra $10 for them to try and get it to work "right". I passed no questions asked. If anyone needs a place to go for a modded car just pm me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement