Have to get used to a 6 speed now.... - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Community > The Hangout
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

The Hangout All non-tech and non-EVO related discussions. Login and say hello.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2007, 06:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Reputation: Fourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpfulFourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Have to get used to a 6 speed now....

Did I buy an MR? Nope, a VR..... VR-4...... 1996 3000GT VR-4 Spyder to be exact

I didn't trade in, or sell off my EVO, the Spyder is in addition too, not replacement of my EVO. I have wanted one of these cars since they came out back in 1995, and am finally in a position to own one, so I jumped at the chance

Black with tan leather interior, 45,000 miles, and it looks like it just drove off the showroom floor!

Keith
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2007, 06:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Congrats, a friend of mine purchased a 96 stealth (non turbo fwd) that we have turned into a turbo awd after a ton of work. He's in the process of putting twin evo III 16g's on it, i'm curious to see how that turns out.

I've always thought the 3000gt's looked better though.

Plan on modding it at all?
Old 04-08-2007, 09:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Reputation: Fourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpfulFourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by superflyjmysnk View Post
Congrats, a friend of mine purchased a 96 stealth (non turbo fwd) that we have turned into a turbo awd after a ton of work. He's in the process of putting twin evo III 16g's on it, i'm curious to see how that turns out.

I've always thought the 3000gt's looked better though.

Plan on modding it at all?
At minimum I will convert over to E-85 (fuel pump, injectors, SAFC, boost controler, wide band O2 and boost gauge).... from there we will see where the performance bug takes me

Keith

Old 04-09-2007, 07:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Nice.
Keep us posted.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Dynosheet: 338whp/371 lb-ft
Club Region: Pacific Northwest
damn nice.. weren't those things like 70k when they were brand new?
Old 04-09-2007, 09:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

I was always impressed with the stock topend power. They don't launch great, well compared to a evo but if you punch it anywhere above highway speeds those suckers will move.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

my buddy has a 97. they are so much fun to drive. the syncros are kinda ####y though just something to watch for.

sweet ride though man youl enjoy it they def pull hard on the top end.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSiBER RYDER View Post
damn nice.. weren't those things like 70k when they were brand new?

Window sticker for mine says $66,715, but none of them that I know of left the dealer lot with less than a $10,000 markup... plus sales tax, luxury tax, tag and title fee's you were looking at over $80,000 to get one out the door.

Keith
Old 04-10-2007, 01:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by superflyjmysnk View Post
I was always impressed with the stock topend power. They don't launch great, well compared to a evo but if you punch it anywhere above highway speeds those suckers will move.
A stock EVO will blow away a stock 3000GT on the highway... those tinny little td04-9b stock turbo's are all about low end torque and fast spool up. Peak torque on a 3000GT VR-4 is at 2,500 RPM It feels like it has top end power because at 80 mph in 6th gear you are spinning 2400 RPM's.... right in the meat of the torque curve

Keith
Old 04-10-2007, 07:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

13g's work really well on those cars. my cousin had those and ran a 12 flat on pump gas. then he switched to 16g's.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:15 AM   #11 (permalink)

For me it will be a "jump high or don't try" type of thing. I will hold off on any major mods until I can do the full 9 yards.... intercooler upgrade, heads and cams, tdo5 16G (evo 3), AEM EMS, fuel system.... and keep it looking stock from the outside. That means upgraded side mounts and pipes rather than a FMIC, and an electric cutout in the mid pipe of the exhaust rather than a full turbo back.

Keith
Old 04-10-2007, 11:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

sweet man good luck. any pix yet?
Old 04-10-2007, 01:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

Might want to get those parts soon, since I was helping my friend with his I noticed there aren't nearly as many vendors offering 3000gt parts as there was a few years ago. The turbo's and intercoolers shouldn't be much of a problem, but he had a heck of a time trying to find a exhaust and aftermarket exhaust mani's and other model specific parts.

Not trying to gloom your thread at all, still a awesome car, but their limited availability doesn't seem to bode well with a large aftermarket of availible parts.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:17 AM   #14 (permalink)

I have had no problems finding parts, and the market is expanding rapidly now that the VR-4's are cheap enough for younger buyers.... people are much more likely to modify the living crap out of a car they spent $4,500 on than they would be to modify a car they spent $45,000 on.

Two years ago you couldn't find anyone willing to do head work or make cams for the 3000GT, now you can buy them off the shelf.

Keith
Old 04-11-2007, 07:03 AM   #15 (permalink)
FJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourdoor View Post
Window sticker for mine says $66,715, but none of them that I know of left the dealer lot with less than a $10,000 markup... plus sales tax, luxury tax, tag and title fee's you were looking at over $80,000 to get one out the door.
Wow, I had no idea they cost that much. Do you know how many were sold?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement