Its been a while - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Community > The Hangout
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

The Hangout All non-tech and non-EVO related discussions. Login and say hello.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2007, 07:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Its been a while

Its been entirely too long since I posted on here. So I'll give you a shortened update. Yes I still have my car....sort of, I'll get into that later.

I've kinda created a timeline of pics I have on photobucket of my car and the progress she has made. Back from the 2nd auto-x with her ever, till now. Enjoy

Remember when....this was my 2nd auto-x ever! 285whp baby!!! I didn't even have the same tires all the way around!

Then a year later, she spent 3 days up at Jerry's where we pulled the head off, messed up the timing, had to call Jerry R to come fix it. But she got fixed. So Justin, Dee and I took a road trip up to CT to get her tuned. I'll never forget Justin and Dee waking up and asking me, "Why are we SLOWING down from 130?" Me, " I just raced an M3." JDee, "Did you win?" Me, "Yes." Justin, "Why didn't you wake us up dick?" HAHA good times.

The final numbers

And the after photoshoot

So after putting down some impressive numbers, she goes and races again, only to have the headgasket let go. So the car makes a trip down to Chris' place in KG. Bill, Chris, Nikki and I get to work on her. The tranny gets sent to Shep, the head and block go to NORPA. Then we all remember where it went next...Martin's shop. After not getting much work done there, Keith is nice enough to inherit my car and put it back together. She runs great, but the block is built too loose. She still puts down a respectable 354whp, but no where near what she is capable of. At this time, she gets new shoes and starts competing in Blue Ridge Region SCCA Auto-x. She takes two FTDs and 3 class wins in her first three races.
Here she is in action at her first SCCA event.

So I move back to CT and she finally slows down to have some photos taken of her. She likes her new shoes, but wishes she was shorter

[

I then get activated. While activated my turbo lets go comin back from Lynchburg. I had a feeling this would happen. So I get a new turbo (05 Evo, 10.5 hotside). A week later the engine goes. So while in Iraq, the motor is rebuilt.
Once back from the shop, the car makes a terrible whine so the x-case gets replaced and the rear wheel hubs. Now the fronts are getting done. Rear rotors are replaced with the slotted kind to match the front. Buschur DP and catback go in (don't worry she's even louder). Buschur also supplies my new radiator and FMIC. This all compliments my coilovers. And finally I've done some visual upgrades.
I don't have pics from this past weekend with the new cam install, but I do have my new actuator in there.

On jackstands lookin like a race car

Emblems being painted, and an after shot

She's sittin kinda low

And some completed shots. Notice the exhaust in the last pic, it looks better in person. The FMIC you can't even see. She idles lumpy as hell. The camber is crazy.

So where she sits now....I put in comp 280 cams, buschur tbe, buschur fmic, 10.5 turbo, proted exhaust mani and o2 housing, forge acuator, and bov. Suspension wise she has apexi N1 exv's all around with 8kg springs. Slotted rotors now with painted stock wheels.

She was on the dyno a few weeks ago and as my luck would have the timing belt pulley tensioner bolt came loose, lettign go of the timing belt...you can imagine what happened.

So the head has been rebuilt....again, the bottom end is being rebuilt....again with je pistons and eagle rods.

This after I spent a month trying to get her runnign right, replacing the xcase and all the wheel bearings to get rid of a horrible humming noise.

The good news/bad news to come out of this was on the dyno she put down 345whp pump gas, not running right (125psi compressoin across the board). I still wanted a race tune and thats when she let go, stomping out 391whp on c16.

After she is built...correctly, Brad Brooks will tune her once again. Maybe 400whp on stock turbo?

I have relocated up to CT like I said. I'm signed up for SCCA 3day race school at the end of July. Maybe I can actually get some talent to reign in all this power I should have.

Hope to see you out there.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2007, 07:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Good God, Liam, how many engine builds is that? Hopefully, it really does get done right this time, and with a great tune from Brad, I hope you can spend more time racing than fixing. Luckily, with all my racing, I'm still on the original engine and head as well as t-case. The only big break was the tiny 4th gear in the 6spd, but I have a Shep 5spd now to keep me going.

I'm really surprised you got 8kg springs!!! You should have 12kg/16kg like me - I know you can handle it on a daily basis.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hey Clayton, ya this is my 4th motor now. I'm having all sorts of bad luck. I'm at the point now where if this doesn't work, I'm selling it and thats it.
This is my first customizable suspension so I wasn't sure what to get yet. I figured I'd start out slow then work up. 8kg is stiffer than stock, as we both know. But 12/16 is insane! Do you still daily drive you car?

Old 06-19-2007, 09:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yeah, I daily drive it to work and everywhere. The stiff suspension is made strictly to go fast, so I don't mind the stiffness, but it also was optimized by Paul Gerrard to minimize the pain. 8k is weaksauce - get busy!

Old 06-20-2007, 01:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

thats quite an adventure. sorry to hear about the troubles.

any reason you didnt stroke it when it was getting rebuilt?
Old 06-20-2007, 05:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

Oh, and to remind everyone, Liam is the reason I am even in to racing...real racing, that is. When I met him, I had only done drag racing, but then he invited me to a small, local autox, and the rest is history!

Old 06-24-2007, 04:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

i'm gonna play out the 8kg and see what happens. i'll more than likely move up, but i wanna just get my car runnin first.
yup and i remember your first out auto-x, go easy the first time out...nope you just went out there and tore it up. then it was r comps and thats when you starting killin everyone.
boostin i didn't stroke because i didnt' want to...not tryin to sound like an ass. but when people ask whats done i wanna say i still have the 2.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement