New Guy - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Community > The Hangout
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

The Hangout All non-tech and non-EVO related discussions. Login and say hello.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2006, 08:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

New Guy

Hello All, my name is Ken, and I currently own a 2002 Acura RSX Type S, and I've been looking to the evo's for quite some time now. I use to research alot on the 2g GST and GSX eclipses, then after hearing about crankwalk I decided to go N/A route, and own something with High compression, and high revving ability. So i owned a Celica GTS 00 with the TRD kit, and some mods here and there, AEM CAI, PowerFC and i had some lowering springs.

Then I wanted more power once I saw the 2zz wasn't going anywhere so i was a integra fan for years and I wanted a ITR, but no way I could afford one so I got the next best thing the K series integra. So last year I bought a 02 Firepepper Red RSX Type S, and now I have big plans for it. Toda engine kit, Methonal Injection, Kpro (tuneable ecu), SSR race header, 5.0 final drive, lsd, clutch etc etc..but after that once I'd hit what you guys put down stock I'd prolly join the ranks of EVO's and get one. I'm confused actually on which year is best to get, and which year isn't best to get.. Maybe you guys can help a n/a understand turbos alot better.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2006, 06:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 05 EVO
Timeslip: 12.8 @ 109
Club Region: Pacific Northwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenRed
Hello All, my name is Ken, and I currently own a 2002 Acura RSX Type S, and I've been looking to the evo's for quite some time now. I use to research alot on the 2g GST and GSX eclipses, then after hearing about crankwalk I decided to go N/A route, and own something with High compression, and high revving ability. So i owned a Celica GTS 00 with the TRD kit, and some mods here and there, AEM CAI, PowerFC and i had some lowering springs.

Then I wanted more power once I saw the 2zz wasn't going anywhere so i was a integra fan for years and I wanted a ITR, but no way I could afford one so I got the next best thing the K series integra. So last year I bought a 02 Firepepper Red RSX Type S, and now I have big plans for it. Toda engine kit, Methonal Injection, Kpro (tuneable ecu), SSR race header, 5.0 final drive, lsd, clutch etc etc..but after that once I'd hit what you guys put down stock I'd prolly join the ranks of EVO's and get one. I'm confused actually on which year is best to get, and which year isn't best to get.. Maybe you guys can help a n/a understand turbos alot better.
Hi.
The evo 8 2003-04 strong(they use TD05 turbo with 9.8T housing), 05 stronger(running at higher boost with TD05HR 10.5T housing), and evo IX 2006+ is strongest(with MIVEC TD05 10.5T and bigger compressor wheel)... I hope that helps! There is MR edition with 6 speed transmission, which is overall!
Old 11-13-2006, 07:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Yes, the progression of the Evo follows its model years, as you would expect.

- 06 IXs are superior to all previous USDM Evos due to the improved turbo, MIVEC head, and revised coolant passages in the head that allow for more efficient use of the turbo at higher boost levels for a given octane. IXs also have a more sophisticated ECU, and overall, they can make much more power with basic bolt-ons than any other Evo.
- 05 VIIIs made a little more power than 03-04s due to a larger turbine housing, but that's about it. They got other nice features while also fixing some of the nagging things such as the synchros.
- 03/04s are the worst but are still better than most cars on the road in terms of power, handling, braking, and moddability

Welcome to the site - you came to right place to get no-BS answers to good, technical questions.

What else do you need to know?

Old 11-14-2006, 02:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

well the ecu is a really big question of mine. With the Honda K-Series motors we have something called Hondata K-Pro which i know the import world is very familar with, when I would want a ecu upgrade is there a ecu out that that's just like kpro? For those of you that don't know..K-pro is a tuneable ecu that allows you to tune a/f ratios increase and decrease redline and i-VTEC settings. It allows you to tune your bolts on's for slight, mild, and full tuning. Is there a ecu out there for the 46g3 motors?

Also, I wanted to know do the 05's come with the MIVEC? or can you swap heads?
Old 12-04-2006, 04:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenRed View Post
well the ecu is a really big question of mine. With the Honda K-Series motors we have something called Hondata K-Pro which i know the import world is very familar with, when I would want a ecu upgrade is there a ecu out that that's just like kpro? For those of you that don't know..K-pro is a tuneable ecu that allows you to tune a/f ratios increase and decrease redline and i-VTEC settings. It allows you to tune your bolts on's for slight, mild, and full tuning. Is there a ecu out there for the 46g3 motors?

Also, I wanted to know do the 05's come with the MIVEC? or can you swap heads?
Our stock ECU can do all of that, so you don't need to upgrade the ECU. We just reprogram our stock ECU using flashing software. The main software used is called EcuFlash, and it's free. It allows you to tune every parameter in the ECU (fuel, timing, launch control, rev limiter, boost control, injector scaling, etc.) through a GUI by yourself, or you can pay an expert tuner to do it all for you.

Only 06 IXs have MIVEC. It would take more than a basic swap to put a MIVEC head on an VIII, such as swapping to a IX ECU, but it can and has been done.

Old 12-05-2006, 02:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

So, is it better to get the one with the MIVEC engine? or get an 05?
Old 12-05-2006, 05:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

the evo IX 2006+ with the MIVEC engine are better but more expensive
Old 12-05-2006, 07:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

IXs are the best by far.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement