No EvoM? - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Community > The Hangout
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

The Hangout All non-tech and non-EVO related discussions. Login and say hello.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2007, 02:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
FJF

No EvoM?

Has EvoM been down all day, or have they finally banned me?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2007, 02:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
It's down - it's not just you!

Old 02-15-2007, 03:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
FJF

Thanks, Warr. I've received so many warnings, I wasn't sure.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hurting!!!!! EvoM still down!!
Old 02-17-2007, 04:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Reputation: Fourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpfulFourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Wow, I didn't even notice they are down.

I guess I am neglecting my moderator duties over there and over here on work days. When you work 12 hour rotating shift work, and can be fired for going on the internet from work it makes it hard to moderate on work days

Keith
Old 02-17-2007, 06:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
FJF

My job ranges between two extremes - periods where I can hardly find the time to go to bed in order to meet a deadline, and having absolutely nothing to do for days at a time. When I have the free time, I drive around for hours just for the fun of it. Now that we have salt on the roads and I'm using the Winter car, that option goes out the window. I'm stuck trying to entertain myself.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
FJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJF View Post
Has EvoM been down all day, or have they finally banned me?
Well, I'm banned from EvoM for this:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2 (look at the first three threads).

I'm almost proud of it, as it's my first ban in all my years of posting. Read the threads, if you like.

I wonder who did it?

I doubt that I'll return in a participatory fashion. It's not that my feeling are hurt; I just don't feel right supporting a forum that stands for discriminatory practices and utter fabrications. If I want to see a liar, I can always watch SNL reruns.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Dynosheet: 424whp/401 lb-ft
Well good, now you can get your post count up to 900+ posts around here! Just don't go fighting with Moderators to do it

Old 03-02-2007, 07:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
FJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
Well good, now you can get your post count up to 900+ posts around here!
I plan on it! Thanks, Chris.

Quote:
Just don't go fighting with Moderators to do it
From what I've seen, the mods here don't BS just to score a point and/or further a personal vendetta.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Well I don't know, have you seen the thread where... oh wait, nevermind. J/K

That's what I love about the guys we have overseeing things here. They're here to be enthusiasts, not moderators. They moderate things quietly.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:04 AM   #11 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
There's really nothing to it because all the rules are spelled out for all us and it's all set up. That's what I love about this site and dsmtuners; we can't go wrong because we follow the site's rules.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
FJF

Quote:
That's what I love about the guys we have overseeing things here. They're here to be enthusiasts, not moderators. They moderate things quietly.

This is my story. I started posting back in the early-mid '90s on Usenet. Then, somewhere around '99, I because a founding member and mod of the biggest (technical) forum of its kind- not auto-related. After a couple of years, I got sick of having to work with 5 (!) pages of rules, so another mod and I started a different board dedicated to the same subject matter. However, we had/have no rules. As in zero.

Our mods all post under their usual usernames and the only time their position comes into play is when they have to delete SPAM or move a thread. We have a single mod username, which they all use when they have to do something besides posting. Occasionally, my partner and fellow admin, and I, use that username, too.

Essentially, we don't moderate discussions and everyone is encouraged to say what they like, regardless of topic and language. We have a fairly sizable membership of very well-educated, bright folks - mostly male. The median age is ~40 years old. We do explain all actions by the mods, giving reasons for moving threads. I think you can see how I'm not terribly fond of EvoM's practices, especially the "punishment" for expressing one's opinion and asking for accountability. The point system they have is an utter insult and I have no plans to support such a practice by participating actively.

It's almost funny. The mods and admins on EvoM strut around as if they're something special. Meanwhile, their aggregate IQ - outside of a few notable exceptions - can only rival that of a tissue box. I guess they didn't care for my idea of self-expression, so I have no plans to actively participate on a board that insults my intelligence daily.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

It's tough running car forums, especially large ones, I'll give them that. But if they're letting the fact that they have a large forum get to their heads (as you stated) then they're going to have a tough time later on.

My philosophy has always been to blend in with the members as much as possible and set a good example of what we expect from our members, and that's what I ask our moderators to do as well. Once you start separating yourself from the crowd because of your title it can get messy. It's about being "one of the guys" as well as being pretty diplomatic when necessary. It's not always fun but it comes with the territory.

I like how the first moderator told you to "return to whatever douchebag-laden forum you prefer". That tells me he has no regard for any other EVO site out there that isn't EvoM, which is pretty elitist in itself not to mention insulting to the EVO community and the people who visit/manage those forums. Nice example being set there.

Old 03-03-2007, 05:03 AM   #14 (permalink)
FJF

Quote:
It's tough running car forums, especially large ones, I'll give them that. But if they're letting the fact that they have a large forum get to their heads (as you stated) then they're going to have a tough time later on.
I think the EvoM admins look at their site primarily as a monetary vehicle.

I took a glance at the pic thread last night and realized that I was talking to a bunch of kids, Afterwards, I had to ask myself what I was doing there.

Quote:
My philosophy has always been to blend in with the members as much as possible and set a good example of what we expect from our members, and that's what I ask our moderators to do as well. Once you start separating yourself from the crowd because of your title it can get messy. It's about being "one of the guys" as well as being pretty diplomatic when necessary. It's not always fun but it comes with the territory.
Agreed.

IME, sites like Evotuners don't attract a large population, because they don't provide easy answers to complex questions, which is the mainstay of EvoM. EvoM is essentially a ricer forum, which can certainly be entertaining, but it's hardly something to build on.

Quote:
I like how the first moderator told you to "return to whatever douchebag-laden forum you prefer". That tells me he has no regard for any other EVO site out there that isn't EvoM, which is pretty elitist in itself not to mention insulting to the EVO community and the people who visit/manage those forums. Nice example being set there.
I think the mods are in place to guarantee an environment conducive to selling aftermarket products. Too, there's no accountability to the membership, which goes hand-in-hand with what you were saying. It's a bunch of folks who aren't terribly bright catering to a similar clientele. The environment is only bound to get worse, as used Evo prices drop over time, and more and more ricers are able to afford the cars.

Felix
Old 03-06-2007, 04:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

Reputation: Fourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpfulFourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJF View Post

This is my story. I started posting back in the early-mid '90s on Usenet. Then, somewhere around '99, I because a founding member and mod of the biggest (technical) forum of its kind- not auto-related. After a couple of years, I got sick of having to work with 5 (!) pages of rules, so another mod and I started a different board dedicated to the same subject matter. However, we had/have no rules. As in zero.

Our mods all post under their usual usernames and the only time their position comes into play is when they have to delete SPAM or move a thread. We have a single mod username, which they all use when they have to do something besides posting. Occasionally, my partner and fellow admin, and I, use that username, too.

Essentially, we don't moderate discussions and everyone is encouraged to say what they like, regardless of topic and language. We have a fairly sizable membership of very well-educated, bright folks - mostly male. The median age is ~40 years old. We do explain all actions by the mods, giving reasons for moving threads. I think you can see how I'm not terribly fond of EvoM's practices, especially the "punishment" for expressing one's opinion and asking for accountability. The point system they have is an utter insult and I have no plans to support such a practice by participating actively.

It's almost funny. The mods and admins on EvoM strut around as if they're something special. Meanwhile, their aggregate IQ - outside of a few notable exceptions - can only rival that of a tissue box. I guess they didn't care for my idea of self-expression, so I have no plans to actively participate on a board that insults my intelligence daily.
The amazing thing to me over there is that from what I have seen, the majority of the moderators do not even own Evolutions. You have the group of mods that can't afford and EVO and are jelouse of the people who can own one, and (almost worse) are the ones who have "moved on" to something "better" and look down on us poor people who have to settle for an EVO....

Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement