Proud owner of a new ix! - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Community > The Hangout
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

The Hangout All non-tech and non-EVO related discussions. Login and say hello.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2007, 06:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs up Proud owner of a new ix!

Hey guys, just wanted to say that I'm now the proud owner of a brand new ix!!!! and with only 7 miles on it I couldn't be any happier. This isn't my first Mitsu, as I already own a 90 Talon TSI AWD. It's just that the EVO is so much nicer.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2007, 07:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome! Ask any questions that you may have and we'll be happy to answer. Congrats on your purchase.

Jared
Old 01-03-2007, 07:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Dynosheet: 338whp/371 lb-ft
Club Region: Pacific Northwest
yeah, i just got my rs not too long ago. the worst part is the break-in. it's so hard not to get on it but its worth it. grats!

Old 01-03-2007, 07:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
You made two excellent choices:

1) Getting the best Evo ever made, and
2) Signing up at EvoTuners.

I, too, started out with a '90 Talon TSi AWD, and that got me hooked. It's why am where I am today with the Evo...

Let us know if you have questions or need mod advice. Be sure to read our living thread in the Newbie forum that answers a lot of questions.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSiBER RYDER View Post
yeah, i just got my rs not too long ago. the worst part is the break-in. it's so hard not to get on it but its worth it. grats!
As Tsiber said, the break-in period is tough, since you can't rag it out, but BE SURE YOU BOOST REGULARLY - just don't go over 5k rpm for the first 500-600 miles. Stay below 5k, but boost hard up to 5k. This is good for the piston rings to seal properly, and it won't hurt the motor as long as you let the engine warm up fully before hammering it.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

yea I hate the whole break in period, but if its going to help my Evo in the long run then i'm for it. Warr... i've been searching some of your previous posts and what catches my eyes the most is the ones about EcuFlash. How safe is this option? any negatives by going this route? if there are what other options are available in regards to tuning.

BTW. This has to be the best site, right next to DSMTuners, which I've been a memeber for the past 2 years.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well, EcuFlash itself is just one program that allows us to flash our ECUs. If you're asking if EcuFlash is the best program, well, that's debatable, but it's the only one that's free for you and I to use, so it's great. If you're asking if flashes are the best form of tuning, well that's not as debatable, but it is definitely situational. I am under the opinion that flashing is the BEST form of tuning for any Evo on the stock turbo in terms of hp/$. The only thing better is a standalone ECU, which is a huge step and very expensive, so those are usually saved until you max out the stock MAF's resolution in the 500+whp range. There is actually one Evo making 582whp on a GT35R with not only the stock ECU and MAF, but also with the STOCK INTAKE (airbox and all).

So, generally speaking, I do believe flashing is the best for of tuning for most Evo owners, and EcuFlash is the best route to go for flashing. If you can't do it yourself, no biggie...use a reputable Evo tuner. There are several in your area. I consider it safe, but like anything, it can be dangerous if in the wrong hands. A flashed Evo should not be in any danger unless the tuner screwed up or unless the owner turns up his boost to 30psi on 91oct...

Old 01-03-2007, 08:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

who would you consider a good tuner in SoCal? Ive used RoadRace for my Talon in the past and they are pretty cool, but Im open to any suggestions.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

RRE uses Dr. Gray for their flash tuning, and they don't charge much. He was the king of SAFC tuning before EcuFlash was released, so he is now becoming the king of that, too. I would suggest going to RRE as long as Dr. Gray is still their flash tuner.

Whatever you do, don't let them talk you into an SAFC.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon View Post
Whatever you do, don't let them talk you into an SAFC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastForward
who would you consider a good tuner in SoCal? Ive used RoadRace for my Talon in the past and they are pretty cool, but Im open to any suggestions.
Tuning Technologies as well;
http://www.tuningtechnologies.com/

Old 01-04-2007, 11:04 AM   #11 (permalink)

TT has my vote of confidence as well.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 06 EVO
Club Region: Tri State
Send a message via AIM to cs82685
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastForward View Post
Hey guys, just wanted to say that I'm now the proud owner of a brand new ix!!!! and with only 7 miles on it I couldn't be any happier. This isn't my first Mitsu, as I already own a 90 Talon TSI AWD. It's just that the EVO is so much nicer.
Nice, I'm in the same boat, just got my IX on Tuesday it had 13 miles though when I stepped in it, about half from the salesmen going to fill up the tank while the financing paperwork was being filled out. It's a huge step up from my boosted RS eclise. What color did you go with? I got the tarmac black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon View Post
As Tsiber said, the break-in period is tough, since you can't rag it out, but BE SURE YOU BOOST REGULARLY - just don't go over 5k rpm for the first 500-600 miles. Stay below 5k, but boost hard up to 5k. This is good for the piston rings to seal properly, and it won't hurt the motor as long as you let the engine warm up fully before hammering it.
OMG this is sooo hard. I took it over 5k once not much though stayed under 6k. and only because the gears go by so fast. I've gotta put another 250-300 miles on it before I really get on it. Hopefully I'll finish that up this weekend.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

I got the White Evo...personally my favorite color. Looks great with the light tint that i got. Im not a big fan of tinted windows but I really don't want the interior to get ruined due to the un here in SoCal.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 06 EVO
Club Region: Tri State
Send a message via AIM to cs82685
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastForward View Post
I got the White Evo...personally my favorite color. Looks great with the light tint that i got. Im not a big fan of tinted windows but I really don't want the interior to get ruined due to the un here in SoCal.
The only white ones I saw were the RS's, but it did look very nice. My choices were between silver, blue, and black. To me nothing better than a clean black car, the only problem is actually keeping it clean, lol. I'd love to put some nice tint all around but we can't have any on the front windows here in Jersey. I also now have matching mitsus:

The old and the new:

Old 01-04-2007, 09:31 PM   #15 (permalink)

CS, welcome to you, too! With all due respect, boosted Eclipse RS's are pieces of shat!! However, Black Evo IXs are _THE_ shizzle!! Excellent choice, hah!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement