Sponcership - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Community > The Hangout
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

The Hangout All non-tech and non-EVO related discussions. Login and say hello.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2006, 09:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 05 EVO
Timeslip: 12.8 @ 109
Club Region: Pacific Northwest
Sponcership

I would like some info on sponsorship. I got brand new 05 EVO and would like to get some parts to modify my car. Any ideas, or derections are welcome.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2006, 07:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Dynosheet: 424whp/401 lb-ft
Are you talking about sponsorship in general or sponsorship on our site? If you're talking about sponsorship on our site, we don't really give out parts for free if that's what you're looking for. We sponsor people who compete in racing, like SCCA Autocross, NASA Time Trials, etc. If you're currently competing in a race series give us more info on it. We don't sponsor street cars that don't do any type of racing. More info on our Sponsorship program can be found here:
https://www.evotuners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=816

As for sponsorship in general, you have to look at it like a business. If you want businesses to sponsor you and give you free parts you have to have a business plan in place that explains how you're going help impact their business in a positive way. Most businesses want to increase their sales so your plan should include specific ways that you will help them increase sales. And honestly, just driving around with their decals on your car doesn't usually cut it. They'll want to see things like racing events, car show entries, magazine features, etc on your plan. You need to do a LOT to get sponsorship these days. Businesses need a return on their investment and if you can't deliver, you aren't getting sponsored.

Old 09-21-2006, 08:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

What if I precitiped in races and put my foot down in Portland, Oregon, They have a race track. Would than they sponser me?

Old 09-21-2006, 09:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You have to ask "them."

Old 09-21-2006, 09:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05evo
What if I precitiped in races and put my foot down in Portland, Oregon, They have a race track. Would than they sponser me?
Who is they? I don't know. You'd have to ask them. And I'm sure they'd want to see your business plan.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris
Who is they? I don't know. You'd have to ask them. And I'm sure they'd want to see your business plan.
I just want to go to race track, learn how to drive, race with others, have fun, and I want someone to sponser me... Is that possible?
Old 09-21-2006, 11:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Quote:
I just want to go to race track, learn how to drive, race with others, have fun, and I want someone to sponser me... Is that possible?
Anything's possible I guess. But I doubt you'll be able to find businesses to sponsor your car just for fun. Read my initial reply to find out what sponsors usually look for. To find out for sure, you'll probably have to contact some companies and see what they say. If it was so easy everyone would be sponsored.

Old 09-21-2006, 12:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Quote:
No, it doesn't work that way, otherwise everyone at the track would be sponsored, which would be impossible in terms of funding and would mean that a sponsorship means nothing.

You have to separate yourself from others and find a way to make yourself valuable enough to make the sponsor money. The fact that you still have to LEARN how to drive and haven't raced before means that you probably have a long way to go to get sponsored. You can't expect to get sponsored for parts BEFORE doing anything. You must go out and do things, get known, win some races in sanctioned events, show how you can influence others with the same car, then solicit sponsorships.

Old 09-21-2006, 02:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
No, it doesn't work that way, otherwise everyone at the track would be sponsored, which would be impossible in terms of funding and would mean that a sponsorship means nothing.

You have to separate yourself from others and find a way to make yourself valuable enough to make the sponsor money. The fact that you still have to LEARN how to drive and haven't raced before means that you probably have a long way to go to get sponsored. You can't expect to get sponsored for parts BEFORE doing anything. You must go out and do things, get known, win some races in sanctioned events, show how you can influence others with the same car, then solicit sponsorships.
Yea, just to be a member, I have to waste tousands of dollars or more just to make company's happy... And what I get?
What about you, how did you get sponcered?
Old 09-21-2006, 09:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
I got sponsored by spending $650 to go 12.2 in my Evo with just a few parts while having some influence in my local Evo/DSM club in DC. I then got more sponsorships when I spent just a little more ($925 total) to go 12.000 in the 1/4-mile still with very few mods. From there, I got more and more involved in the online and local Evo communities to the point that people listened to what I had to say and therefore companies were interested in sponsoring me, since it meant people would buy their parts if I was using them.

I don't know why you are getting upset. Do you think you deserve a sponsorship for some reason? What have you done? It takes work, success, notoriety, and marketing ability...

Old 09-22-2006, 07:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Quote:
Yea, just to be a member, I have to waste tousands of dollars or more just to make company's happy... And what I get?
What about you, how did you get sponcered?
As Clayton said above, you have to have accomplished something in the EVO (or the racing) world before companies will be willing to sponsor you. They need to get something out of the sponsorship- mainly they want to increase their sales. If you can help them do that they'll get onboard. It's all a business. Nothing is for free.

Old 09-22-2006, 04:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

I'm with everyone on this. It kind of goes back to the whole saying "It takes money to make money."
I'm with a couple teams that are sponsored by big companies but it took a lot of time and debt to get there. I know the biggest question we received from would be sponsors was "Is it going to be touring?" one place even said that's all they care about. As long as we can prove that the car will be at places like Hot Import Nights or big race events they're all about it.
One suggestion would be to target some of the up and coming companies. Maybe ones people haven't quite heard of yet. I would think (but can't say for sure) that one of them may be willing to help out just to get their name on the circuit. If they can't you can always give them your plans and maybe they'll give you a deal on their products. But back to what everyone is saying, it takes a lot to get something for free.
Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement