What was your first car? - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Community > The Hangout
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

The Hangout All non-tech and non-EVO related discussions. Login and say hello.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2007, 10:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
FJF

What was your first car?

My first car was a '69 307ci Chevy Nova. It actually belonged to my dad, but it was my designated vehicle. It also holds the honor as the car I spun on an off-ramp the very first day I got my license. The thing didn't even get a scratch; it was a tank and it drove/handled like one, too.

The first car I actually owned was a ca. '76 Datsun 610. It was the biggest POS I ever drove. It had nothing but problems, and I mean problems. After that stint which sadly lasted ~1.5 years of non-stop daily frustration - just getting stranded was a relief compared to the other issues - I got a first generation VW Scirocco. It was a fantastic machine. The Evo is the second non-German car I've ever owned in ~3 decades behind the wheel.

What was your first car and what did you think of it?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2007, 11:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
My first car was a 97 GS-T. I loved every bleeding knuckle minute.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Silver 1986 Chrysler LeBaron Convertible Turbo with feaux leather interior and all digital dash. Man, what a sweet car to have at 16. It wasn't mine per se, but my dad always flew to work out of town, so for all intents and purposes, it was mine to use as I saw fit. It only had 140hp, but you could definitely feel the turbo kick in, and that's how I got Hooked on Turbos.

Old 03-13-2007, 05:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

I started with a base model 90 laser. 1.8, mt trans, no hp beautiful Laser. I was itching for something v8 and boxy, but found these sibling cars that had this weird turbo, awd thing to em. my next car was a 92 awd laser, and from there I was hooked. now my evo is another natural progression, and I dont know how I'll ever let go. Ive even had a local guy offer a nearly even trade for an 03 svt cobra, and even 500 ft-lb of torque cant tear me away. damn traction and handling....
Old 03-13-2007, 11:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
FJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon View Post
Silver 1986 Chrysler LeBaron Convertible Turbo...
I'm envious. I love open-top cars, and at 16 I would have killed for a convertible of any kind. Right before I purchased the Evo, I was this >I I< close to buying a Boxter S. Sometime in the next few years, I'll have a roadster in the garage.

Quote:
...with feaux leather interior and all digital dash. Man, what a sweet car to have at 16. It wasn't mine per se, but my dad always flew to work out of town, so for all intents and purposes, it was mine to use as I saw fit. It only had 140hp, but you could definitely feel the turbo kick in, and that's how I got Hooked on Turbos.
My mother-in-law had one almost exactly like it, sadly not a convertible. Last time I visited her in Florida - many, many moons ago - my wife and I had use of the car. One day, while driving around, we came across an auto-x. Naturally, I entered the LeBaron and made three runs. You wanna to talk understeer!? Holy crap! I still think that a dually with a plow would exhibit more neutral handling characteristics. We put on quite a show, though, complete with applause. The ~$20 all-seasons helped.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah, having free use of a convertible in HS in the South was definitely a bonus, and the little turbo was a lot of fun but not so fast that I'd get in trouble.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: Southeast
95 mitsubishi mirage with 300,000 miles on it and a badly dented drivers door but i got it for free so i cant complain used it to trade in to get my galant lol

Last edited by pjayz; 03-14-2007 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
FJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon View Post
Yeah, having free use of a convertible in HS in the South was definitely a bonus, and the little turbo was a lot of fun but not so fast that I'd get in trouble.
[off-topic] If you don't mind my asking, where in the South are you from?

Edit: As you were in the military, I'd like to ask you a question that's been on my mind for a while. There seem to be quite a few enlisted guys on EvoM. Perhaps it's my interpretations of their respective comments/questions and/or the miscommunication due to forum culture, but quite a few of them seem a little slow (intellectually), clinically speaking. In your experience dealing with enlisted personnel directly, have you found that to be the case? [/off-topic]
Old 03-14-2007, 02:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
FJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolarry View Post
My first car was a 97 GS-T. I loved every bleeding knuckle minute.
Nice!!
Old 03-14-2007, 08:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJF View Post
If you don't mind my asking, where in the South are you from?
Born and raised in Alabama, but graduated HS in Atlanta after my dad got a job that requied lots of travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJF View Post
Edit: As you were in the military, I'd like to ask you a question that's been on my mind for a while. There seem to be quite a few enlisted guys on EvoM. Perhaps it's my interpretations of their respective comments/questions and/or the miscommunication due to forum culture, but quite a few of them seem a little slow (intellectually), clinically speaking. In your experience dealing with enlisted personnel directly, have you found that to be the case?
Yes, quite so...

Old 03-14-2007, 10:36 PM   #11 (permalink)

My first car was a 98 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon. 2.5" catback, SubySports Header and Intake. Eibach Springs and Kosei K1 white wheels. Haha. I loved that car.

**I wanted a LeBaron for a while!
Old 03-17-2007, 12:04 AM   #12 (permalink)

Reputation: Fourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpfulFourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpful
1979 Ford LTD 2 door with the 351 V-8 (5.8 liter) It was a tank, but it was freedom.... so an excelent car even though it was a POS if you catch my drift

Keith
Old 03-31-2007, 10:56 PM   #13 (permalink)

1993 Mazda Protege. Virtually indestructible. I hit a tree with it, drove it home, and fixed it, and she still runs good. I love that car, but I'm giving it to a friend soon. But, I love my Evo now. Poor Mazda.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:40 AM   #14 (permalink)

1998 Jeep Cherokee. Lifted it and put 33" tires under it soon after. Still have but selling it because of the new evo and part of the deal with my parents. Not a bad trade though. I will miss it because I need 4-wheeling and speed, so I'll have to get another cheap Jeep within the next few years.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:50 AM   #15 (permalink)

I had an 86 Pontiac Sunbird. That thing never quit. At one point I took the struts off of the back so when I pumped the brakes, I good get the rear end to hop a couple feet in the air. That used to be a lot of fun, everyone at school thought I had swithes. Till the parents found out.

Last edited by Warrtalon; 04-01-2007 at 08:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement