Launching issues - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > General > Evotuners.net Site help
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Evotuners.net Site help Questions, comments, suggestions and discussions about EVOtuners.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2009, 10:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: Midwest
Question Launching issues

I'm having some difficulties launching my Evo. I have an '03 Evo 8 that is all stock except for the stage 3 clutch (not my idea, I bought the car with that clutch). I don't have launch control for my car so I'm not sure how high to rev it to be safe. I lauched the car once before at just over 5 grand and dropped my clutch. BIG MISTAKE! I broke my rear differential on my first launch! Since then I've read that the clutch should be slipped. I've tried slipping but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. I heard that if you do it right, your back end should pickup. Does anybody have any ideas of how high of rev I should be launching my car at and any tips on slipping the clutch?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2009, 02:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Club Region: Mid Atlantic
Send a message via AIM to SicLanEvo
is your car tuned? what other mods do you have? Put launch control on it, it makes it a little easier to launch. mine is set to 6k gives me between 10-15 psi to launch with. yes you have to slip it or else things go bang! what do you mean by your back end should pick up? the car would squat if launched.....you have to ease the clutch out as soon as it starts to grab you need to slip it fast.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

why are you just launching your car? it is hard on the whole drivetrain......Do you strickly drag race this car? or is this for racing on the street?

Old 06-12-2009, 10:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

I dont have any mods on the car other than the clutch. Laucnch control? How does one get that added to their car? And I was told by another person with an evo that his back end will start to fish-tail when you is setting up for his launch.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

I know its hard on the drive train. I do a little bit of both drag strip and street runs. Shouldn't the evo be able to handle the launch seeinf how I have no mods?
Old 06-12-2009, 06:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

just because a car can do something doesnt mean it should.....A good launch is up to the driver, how much your car will be damaged is up to you and your skill. Just because you dont have any mods does not mean it wont break as you already found out.....You should have your car properly tuned.....a good tuner can or someone with a tactrix cable and the ecuflash software can add launch control in about 2 minutes.....get your car tuned for the best results.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 05 EVO
I have a o5 and when i lanuch mine the clutch slips supper bad. but only when i lanch it. i think its cuz my clutch is out of adjustment or what i have also herd is that if you put greese on the output shaft it will wip off and get onto your clutch disk. But it dont sound like that is your problum because you have broke things with it. I would recomend getting your tune in and then see if it still does it. And another thing is, anytime you launch a evo or any other car at 6 grand with the stock front end, rear end, tranny and all the other drive train componets your 95% sure that you will brake something and you will be vary lucky if you dont.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

^^ i dont agree, my 03 with stock internals, stock tranny, stock diffs, and stock axles has been launched hard over 60 times. the car gets driven hard everyday, and i have never broke any of those components. The only upgrade to my tranny is a stage 1 exedy clutch, gruppe-s flywheel. SS Clutch lines and shifter bushings. did i mention i have 171k on my car. the key is to slip the clutch. rev the car to your desired launch or your 2 step then ease out the clutch until it starts to grip/move foward then slip it fast. you will smell some clutch but its better then buying a diff. I launch at 6k with 12-15psi. your back end will not fishtail on take off. Its AWD. I have seen plenty of AWD 600whp cars launch with stock tires and spin a little but never enough to fish tail
Old 03-15-2010, 08:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

ya then i dont know what the deal is with my clutch. i like lanch it and it slips way bad. but from like a 20mph roll im gone
Old 03-16-2010, 07:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

what do you mean it slips real bad? if you want to know if your clutch is slipping put it in 5th and floor it doing about 70. if the tach goes up fast but your not really moving then yes it probably slipping. I think you are having a issue with bogging as opposed to slipping. what rpm are you launching at?
Old 03-16-2010, 07:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

I can put the car at 70 mph and stomp on it and the car takes off but the clutch only slips when I launch at like 3 grand and up. so it only slips at a launch thats all. idk its got me. and i know the differance beween bogging and slipping.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

at 3k you probably should be bogging down hard. if i launch under 5k it bogs pretty bad. that is weird and doesnt sound like normal slippage to me. do you have a OEM clutch or aftermarket and how many miles?
Old 03-17-2010, 05:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

ah 45000 miles with a comp stage 3 clutch. but i know its not bogging cuz the rpms go to the roof after i lanch it and i will not go like anyware
Old 03-18-2010, 03:57 AM   #14 (permalink)

then your issue could be spinning the tires? what tires are you running and how much life do they have left?
Old 03-19-2010, 11:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

cuhmo tires. if i was spinning the tires the car would kick side ways and it not. the tires are like brand new
Sponsored Links
Advertisement