Any tips for buying an Evo? - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Newbie/General Forum
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Newbie/General Forum Beginner/basic questions and general EVO discussion. Specific questions should be asked in a focused forum below. This area is for the newbies.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2010, 10:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: Pacific Northwest
Any tips for buying an Evo?

Hello,

Name is Derek, I live in the Seattle area and I have been watching/viewing the forum for about 3 weeks now while I have been Evo searching. I am looking forward to getting the right Evo for me, then becoming an active participant in the forums.

I am very worried about buying an Evo that has been beat to hell ... so I have stayed away from those "too good to be true" deals, and those that are heavily modded...

I am going to test drive my first Evo tomorrow, it is a private party seller and he says the evo was not abused (dont they all )

here is what the add shows
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, Evo VIII
"57k miles, clean title, clean carfax, never been in any accidents. In perfect condition both mechanically and cosmetically.

it has no modifications except turbo back exhaust and drilled/slotted rotors. It comes with SSL package which means it has Leather Recaro Seats, Infinity 7 speaker sound system with a subwoofer, and a moonroof.
"

His asking price is 19000, which is exactly on par with the KBB in my area, and seems to be about right... he also noted he was flexible on price when i talked to him (perhaps i could get him down to 17?) He said there is 1 month left on factory warranty that can be extended (is this a smart option?)

What should I be looking for when I drive it tomorrow? ... I will definatly take it to a mechanic prior to purchasing, but are there any red flags you can think of? I am not very knowlegable about cars at this point so any tips would greatly help.

While i like this vehicle, it does not have the pillar gauges and vortec generators that i was hoping to get, but those seem to be relativly cheap... how hard would they be to install?

Sorry for the long post, I look forward to any advice!

Thanks,
Derek

PS - it wouldnt let me upload the pics it is blue, SSL and has no boost gauge what so ever.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2010, 05:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
SUPER MODERATOR

Car: 06 EVO
Club Region: Outside North America
Send a message via AIM to rookhoe
Test drive the car, get a feel for it. Also, like you said, DO take it to a mechanic prior to purchasing. He could probably give you the best idea about if its been beat on or not.

Listen for grinding while shifting, thats always been a big thing for me. It sucks that you dont have a boost gauge, cause it would be easier to figure out if you have a boost leak or not. I will honestly say that at 57k miles, the throttle body seals are probably ready to be replaced. Its not an expensive fix though, might cost you 7 bucks tops, and you can even do it yourself.

I dont know about getting the warranty. If you plan on modding/building the car to have a good amount of power, then I say no, dont get the extended warranty. But if youre going to leave it with that turbo back exhaust and just DD it, then yea, get the warranty.

I WANNA GO FAST
Old 07-23-2010, 01:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Awesome, thank you for the reply.... I am most likely going to do a few of the bolt-ons, didn't realize that would void the warranty.

Ill let you guys know how the test drive goes
Old 07-23-2010, 01:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

what do you guys think about

2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution EVO 8 - 5 Speed Manual BLACK

I am a little hesitant to go to a used car dealer like that... just seems fishy to me

Also, how hard is it to install the pillar gauges? i really like that look....
Old 07-23-2010, 03:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: Mid Atlantic
Send a message via AIM to SicLanEvo
personally that car looks very beat and its highly modified. also i didnt see where it said how many miles were on it. that car looks way worse then mine and i have a 03 with 180k on it.

I would look for one that you can get the history of, and one that is either stock, or modified but done right not, thrown together.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

hell you could buy my evo for $6k rebuild everything and it would still be under the cost of that 05.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Just got back from driving the 2005 blue evo.... It was pretty sweet, first time i have driven an evo...

He wants 19, which is on par with KBB, im going to try and talk him to 17,500 -

what i noticed..

shifted like butter, turbo was sounding good and spooled at about 3k?

he let me floor it on the onramp... i didnt hear any bad noises at all...

Does anyone know a good shop in the seattle area i could take it to?
Old 07-23-2010, 11:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Here are some Good Auto Shops

I found these locations for Seattle online here:
Auto Shops in Seattle

Also If your still looking around for Evo's I have a Free Guide on my website that talks about things to consider before owning an evo. It even has a checklist of things to check from a guy who actually when throught the evo buying process and documented what was important. Go to Evo Mitsubishi and you can get it sent in a PDF doc.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Thanks for the information about the check list,

We agreed on 18750 .... i just ran the carfax and it shows he has only owned the vehicle for 16 days... that seems like a red flag to me.... Tomorrow i will ask him if that is true...

does that seem like a red flag to anyone else?
Old 07-24-2010, 02:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

^^ how many miles does it have and any mods?
Old 07-24-2010, 07:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicLanEvo View Post
^^ how many miles does it have and any mods?
57k miles, mod exhaust and slotted/drilled rotors only ..... i found out that he has actually owned it for 2 months, (and put 2k miles on it) but carfax shows 18 days because he didnt get the title from the seller for a while. (carfax confirms the mileage difference)

I am taking it to a shop monday to ensure everything is ok with it...

first ideas for spending money into it.....

cd player (it is stock w/the sub in the back... but i dont know if that sub will hit hard enough for me)

gauges.... i really like the a-pillar 3 gauge mounts... i wonder how much it will cost to find one and get it installed.
^ what three gauges should i get? turbo and what other 2?
darker tint
may paint rims... thinking about white

also,he is selling because he has to go to europe for 3 months and doesnt want it to sit, and needs cash
Old 07-26-2010, 03:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
SUPER MODERATOR

Car: 06 EVO
Club Region: Outside North America
Send a message via AIM to rookhoe
The gauge that youre already set on getting is a "boost" gauge. Anyways, there really isnt any other gauges that you need for bolt ons. Maybe a wideband.

Are you going to spray paint the wheels?

I WANNA GO FAST
Old 07-26-2010, 01:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

did it have its 60k services done?
Old 01-22-2011, 05:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: Gulf Coast
#1. Do a car fax report.
#2. As for all service related paperwork.
#3. Come with cash in pocket at 90% of what he is asking if you believe the price is fair. Money talks and if he bites, you'll get the car for $17,100.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement