Evo VIII - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Newbie/General Forum
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Newbie/General Forum Beginner/basic questions and general EVO discussion. Specific questions should be asked in a focused forum below. This area is for the newbies.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2010, 12:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car:
Club Region: Southeast
Evo VIII

currently i drive an '08 mazdaspeed3 GT. i am looking to jump ship. i like the evo better than the STi. i am looking at an '05 evo 8 mr w/ 49k miles on it. what can i expect to start going wrong with it within the first 10, 20, 30k miles on it if any? what am i looking to pay? what mods r considered "must have" right off the bat? what are disadvantages? etc.

Thank you in advance for your patience and advice.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 05 EVO
Club Region: Midwest
normal 60K service should be done soon then. That includes changing fluids, belts etc. Timing belt being the most expensive to change.

an 05 with 50k miles id expect to pay anywhere from 16K-20K depending on mods an condition.

Off the bat must have mods, basically just exhaust and a re-tune IMO. Lot of people say cams too but that all depends on how much $$$ you got to spend.

I recommend running a carfax report before buying.

Good luck!

Old 03-10-2010, 09:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: Mid Atlantic
Send a message via AIM to SicLanEvo
look around at mod paths or search them on here they have been discussed over and over. TBE, Intake, Fuel Pump, BOV, MBC, boost gauge, FMIC, IC piping, reflash and prob some other little details but all that can be found on this site.

t-belt should be done around 60k. carfax isnt always truthful. I worked at a dealership and i have seen some very messed up cars come thru with a clean carfax. If the car was bought from or serviced at a particular dealer, see if you can get the service records to verify. Other then plugs, wires, maybe a clutch depending on your driving habits and the t-belt you should be good to go. my evo has 171k on it and I have never really done more then the regular matience. mine has almost all the boltons and alky still runs strong. I have only done brakes once and that was at 65k. I will need them soon though. Good luck with your car, and you will enjoy the AWD over the torquesteer monster you have now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement