Magnecor Spark Plug wires or stock??? - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Newbie/General Forum
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Newbie/General Forum Beginner/basic questions and general EVO discussion. Specific questions should be asked in a focused forum below. This area is for the newbies.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2010, 08:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: Midwest
Magnecor Spark Plug wires or stock???

I recently purchased the 8.5mm Magnecor spark plug wires thinking they would be a big improvement over the puny stock ones but after I went and got my tune done today the guys at the shop told me the stock wires are actually better. Has anyone else tried using these wires and if so what are your thoughts on them?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2010, 10:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
SUPER MODERATOR

Car: 06 EVO
Club Region: Outside North America
Send a message via AIM to rookhoe
I prefer the stock wires over the Magnecor wires. They were on my car when I first bought it, and was having backfiring issues, even with fresh plugs. I bought the stock wires and installed them and my backfiring issues were gone, without a new tune.

I WANNA GO FAST
Old 02-14-2010, 12:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Club Region: Mid Atlantic
Send a message via AIM to SicLanEvo
I have magnacor ones and they work like stock, Ihave heard good things about the ralliart ones though.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

This is kind of a long story but I'll try to make it short. I took my car to the dealership to have a water pump replaced and they ended up flashing my ecu back to the factory specs without telling me. The car ran like garbage when I got it back and at first I thought it was the plugs and wires so I changed those and put in the Magnecors but things still didn't imporve much and I started getting misfires and some knock under high boost when I would get up around 5,000rpm. I was getting 13mpg city and 25mpg highway so my hunch was that they messed with the tune and sure enough they did. The guys at APM Racing in Elmhurst did a great job retuning it but they told they were still getting some misfires in the upper RPM range while they were doing the tune and they suspect that the Magnecors were the problem. I'm going to put the stock wires back in today and see how she runs and I'll let you know if I notice a difference.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

I've been driving for a couple of days now on the stock wires and so far I haven't had any misfires in the upper RPM's under high boost but now I'm getting some misfires when I'm sitting at idle. I'm confused Anyone have any suggestions.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

i woudl start swapping plugs. what are you running now? also check your timing, if the tensioner gave a little bit you could be off a couple degrees. i know it happened to me. then maybe you might want to see if someone can test your coil packs and see if they are operating right. then lastly again the tune
Old 02-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicLanEvo View Post
i woudl start swapping plugs. what are you running now? also check your timing, if the tensioner gave a little bit you could be off a couple degrees. i know it happened to me. then maybe you might want to see if someone can test your coil packs and see if they are operating right. then lastly again the tune
I'm running NGK Iridium BR8IEX plugs that I just put in a few weeks ago. This might sound like a dumb question but I'm still a bit of a noob so how do I check the timing? If the tensioner is off is that something that could have been caused by the dealership when they changed out the water pump? I kinda doubt its the timing though because the car runs fine after it warms up for about 10 minutes or do you think that could still be the problem? Thanks for all your help!
Old 02-18-2010, 03:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

to check the timing you need to pull the passenger wheel off, fender liner out and check the timing on the crank. if you have a friend who works on cars get him to just check it. mine was 8degrees off, and on the evo 8's 9 degrees is the number that goes boom!
Old 02-18-2010, 03:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

also you may want to do a boost leak test.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

I tried swapping the wires a couple times to see if anything changed and it did seem like the misfires were worse with the Magnecors so I'm sticking with the stock wires. I also talked to my tuner again and he said that the plugs were pretty dirty from running so rich so they tried to clean them up. He was also hoping they would clean up a little bit after driving on them for a few days so I'm guessing it is the plugs. I'll get some new ones this week and let you know if that doesn't fix the problem. If it does end up being the plugs i'm going to the dealership and ripping a hole in somebody cuz not only did I have to pay to have the car retuned but that's two sets of plugs that got burnt up as well
Old 02-22-2010, 04:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
SUPER MODERATOR

Car: 06 EVO
Club Region: Outside North America
Send a message via AIM to rookhoe
When you get your new plugs, I would ask your tuner to lean out your air/fuel ratios a little bit. And I wouldnt be too sure about going to the dealership about something like this. You were using wires that wern't OEM and you had somebody else tune the car (dealerships dont cover those things since it will void your warranty).

I WANNA GO FAST
Old 02-22-2010, 04:11 AM   #12 (permalink)

ngk irudiums br7eix or bpr8eix depend
Old 02-24-2010, 11:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

I just swapped the plugs with some new iridium BPR8s and I'm still feeling some of the misfires at idle. Going back to when I had the dealership fix the water pump, the night I picked the car up I was feeling the same misfires and I was also hearing a noticeable valve tick during the first few minutes of idle after a cold start. At first I thought it was just coincidence and that the plugs were bad so that's what led me to change the plugs the first time and install the Magnecors. However, it's been about 1 and half months since the water pump was replaced and even after swapping plugs twice and having the car retuned I'm still getting misfires and the valve tick on cold starts. At this point I'm kinda lost on what to do and I'm worried that there's a much bigger problem. Do you think these problems are somehow related to either the water pump going bad or something the dealer could have done wrong when they were replacing the water pump? Neither of these problem existed before the water pump was replaced.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:49 AM   #14 (permalink)

what made you go with the bpr8s instead of the br7eix's? have you replaced any of the coilpacks? they do go bad over time.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicLanEvo View Post
what made you go with the bpr8s instead of the br7eix's? have you replaced any of the coilpacks? they do go bad over time.
My tuner recommended going with the bpr8s I think because I'm running higher boost (25psi) than stock and that was also the recommendation I got from reading a couple of different websites. Although, when I called AMS a few weeks ago they actually said to stick with the 7s. I have not replaced the coil packs yet but I'm doubting that that's the problem because the issue goes away after the car has been running for about 10 minutes. I would think that if it were the coils the car would be running a lot worse or not running at all. This is my first Evo so maybe the car is just sensitive to the cold and I'm overreacting, but at the same time I have never had an issue like this with any of my other cars so it bothers me. The thing that really irritates me is that none of these problems existed until the water pump went out and I took it to the dealership to have it fixed. So I don't know if these issues are caused by something they did or it's just coincidence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement