New - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Newbie/General Forum
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Newbie/General Forum Beginner/basic questions and general EVO discussion. Specific questions should be asked in a focused forum below. This area is for the newbies.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2010, 03:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: New England
New

Hey everyone. Im a huge Mustang guy and have owned lots of them. Love the look and power. Nitrous, strokers, superchargers and turbos. Still have one but now need a Daily Driver.

So i need a daily driver and am in the middle of deciding what i want. I love the look of an Evo 8. Think they are beautiful. So its my new thought. Caught up between a Sti, and a Evo 8. But think the Sti is ugly.

I have a few links here of ones in my area. And wondering if anyone can give me insight. I know very little about these cars, but have delt with DSM's in the past. Im a Master Toyota tech and Ford tech, and now Work on Submarines. I will keep browsing posts and learn as much as possible.

Not sure what a good price for them is, but so far figure 03-05's go for 13k-20k. Seems all are around 60-80k miles. What kinda maint. do they consume? and what would need to be done to tune one? I live in New Hampshire. Any recalls or Tsb's that usually happen.

Thanks for anything.

2003 Mitsubishi Evolution

2005 MITSUBISHI EVO VIII ------ALL WHEEL DRIVE/TURBO----MUST SEE! ----

mitsubishi evolution priced to sell asap

2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 8

mitsubishi lancer evo VIII ssl built motor 391whp
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2010, 09:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Adminstrator

Club Region: Eastern Canada
Welcome to the site! I would say compare pricing in your area to get a good idea of what you should be paying. As for gas mileage, they are pretty good unless you step on it a lot. I wouldn't say as good as a civic or anything, but much better than any v6.

Nadeem
Old 10-08-2010, 06:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: Mid Atlantic
Send a message via AIM to SicLanEvo
VEry nice welcome to the site.....i like spanking mustangs on the daily with my evo 8, but as for gas a basic bolt on modded evo will get between 16-26mpg depending on how much you get on it. and as for tuning check out the how to article on ecuflash!

Old 10-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Thanks guy, as far as consumption goes, i meant maintenance. Timing belt is a 60k mile thing on these cars? Every car i have found is between 40-90k miles. I dont know mitsu that well so i dont know how many miles i can get out of one. But i would hope around 200k. I take care of my cars. So it would get regular maint and mods.

mitsubishi lancer evo VIII ssl built motor 391whp

I like this one seems it has some decent motor work. Not sure why, but i like it. If i wanted a bunch of boost sounds like the motor would accept it. Has alot of extras and guy is hard up for money.

2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 8

This one is close by and been emailing back and fourth. Both are black, SSL's and some mods. The first being much more mods, and less miles. Both 18k. Pretty sure i could get either for 17k.

As far as it being a mustang killer. haha. most of them yes, i dont think it will make me as excited as my 480rwhp 5.0. I need a daily driver replacement and like the idea of AWD, 2.0 mitsu motor, and a turbo. Im going to start my thread search of ideas. Thanks again guys. Thanks for the warm welcome as well.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

400whp in a awd is some serious fun, oh yeah and did i mention that the evos actually corner at speed? My evo has 185k on it and all i have done is the basics. Mine had all the bolt ons plus cams and alky injection for safety. it was never run over 25psi though. stock block, head, trans, diffs, and axles.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Finally picked one up. 2005 GSR SSL.
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2010, 03:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

congrats! what mods are done to it? i see the APR CF splitter and the different rear diffuser on the bumper, and Vortex generator.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
SUPER MODERATOR

Car: 06 EVO
Club Region: Outside North America
Send a message via AIM to rookhoe
Congrats on your purchase. I think ive seen that evo before but im not sure yet.

I WANNA GO FAST
Old 10-26-2010, 04:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Rookhoe, im in New Hampshire. Car is from Maine.

Sic, Yes to the exterior mods. Just bought JDM taillights and side markers as well. Cant stand the clear lights. Not 100% on everything. But put it on the lift this weekend to do a oil change. Used Royal purple in the motor and transmission.

Megan Racing Header
Some kind of mid and downpipe. HKS catback.
Red mounts, side and front. Looks like some kinda poly mount.
Manual boost controller, with a boost gauge. Full throttle peaks and holds at 20psi.
AEM intake.
Greddy Blow off, vented back into the intake, not atmosphere.
ACT clutch and flywheel
HKS 280 cams. Was only told, not sure. But it idles lumpy.

Goes pretty decent.

Only problems, transmission doesnt sound well going into 5th, and sometimes 2nd, and 3rd. Heard its normal. Also doesnt want to go into gear 1st and 2nd when i first get in and take off.

When i let it idle, randomly it will make a clicking/tapping noise, noticable with hood up.

No CEL bulb, scanned for codes. Has a P0171. Which i know is a lean code. I wont want lean in a turbo car. Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 10-26-2010, 07:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

you need a serious tune, and 280s are way too much for stock turbo. 272 max. tuned for 24-25psi and you'll be good too go!

Old 10-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

He says it was tuned once. So i dunno. But i have two choices of places to tune in my area, one uses little heads on the wheels for sensors?? The other is Kinetic Tuning. They are booked up for a little while, but hes thinking next saturday. Says it takes all day to tune it ??? Longest i have sat and had my mustang tuned was 3.5 to 4 hours. And thats with a new chip. So who knows, well see what happens. Id like to get it tuned for top perfmance.

I also bought for the car:

Garrett GT35R
Full Race Tubular Manifold
3" Downpipe with QTC electronic cut out
Tial 44
Aem Intake with adaptors

Im gonna pick up a Intercooler and injectors. Not sure what else i will need, hopefully my tuner or you guys can give me some hints.

Thanks
Old 10-27-2010, 02:26 PM   #12 (permalink)

wanna throw some money my way? any particular reason your just going 35r off the bat without building the motor, or trans?

Someone with a wideband and ecuflash could tune you pretty quick on the street as long as your tune is not messed up too bad.

You need a lot if your going to pull off the 35r with reliability. you will need IC pipes, will the AEM intake work with a 35r? also are you going to keep the MAFS or ditch it for a blow thru setup and/or Standalone engine management?

Check out openecu.org for tuning solutions!

Old 10-28-2010, 03:17 AM   #13 (permalink)
SUPER MODERATOR

Car: 06 EVO
Club Region: Outside North America
Send a message via AIM to rookhoe
With all of those mods you just listed, I didnt see any that would "bulletproof" your motor....Like Sic just said, you need some supporting mods.

I WANNA GO FAST
Old 10-28-2010, 04:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Im open to suggestions.

I want around 400-450 to the wheels with reliability. PIcked up an AMS front mount intercooler and lower intercooler piping. Im going to install as soon as it comes in. As long as i dont crank the boost and stay fairly low, you think im going to grenade the motor? I thought these motors are fairly strong?

Also used my scanner and cleared all codes, drove it and the p0171 doesnt come back, but the p0300 comes back after driving it.

Being a toyota master tech, im thinking the p0300 is comming on due to a lean misfire, and the p0171 is causing it. Not sure, but well see what happens when i get a tune. I got an appt. for tuesday in Candia, NH.

Also have a pic i want you to look at. Is this PCV hose supposed to be just hanging around? Is this causing a vaccum leak in theory?? Should it be plugged, or attacked to the plugged hole on the AEM cai??
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2010, 11:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

that hose should be going back into the intake or to a catch can. as far as 400-450whp reliable, why do you think you need a 35r to do this? that is way over kill. fp red or cbrd bbk would do just fine to make those numbers. 450whp should be alright if we are assuming your motor is in great running order, there may not be any problems. P0300 is somehting that happens all the times with the evo. get new plugs and call it a day. i reccomend nothing other then ngk iridiums br7eix is what you will need or possibly the 8's. I switched to the br7eix and gained 12whp over regular ngk plugs of the same heat range all with 4 major boost leaks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement