Should I get an EVO (realistically)? - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Newbie/General Forum
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Newbie/General Forum Beginner/basic questions and general EVO discussion. Specific questions should be asked in a focused forum below. This area is for the newbies.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2010, 09:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: Southeast
Should I get an EVO (realistically)?

So I have a 2008 Acura TL Type S sedan, navigation, bluetooth, leather, heated seats, automatic. I like that it is an entry level luxury car and in general a good looking car. However, it is not a "fun" car to have. Reliable - eh, have 33k miles on it and had the brake pads replaced at 20k miles and oil changed regularly, as well as the drivers window regulator broke 2 times on me already and having navigation problems that make the GPS almost worthless as it reboots randomly on me and Acura has yet to release a fix (lots of others are having the same issue). It is as quick as I realistically need it to be, nothing is wrong with it but the navi annoyances, just getting a little bored of driving it.

So I found a 2006 EVO 8 and the dealer ad says its an MR but lists the tranny as a "custom" 5 speed. Huh? Shouldn't it be a 6 speed? Anyways, the mileage is 28k. The car seems to be pretty heavily modded but seems to have stock turbo and I would probably keep the car either as is, or around the 400-450whp mark just to keep things fun, not sure what the car would baseline at with what it's got.

I am in college, and will be starting grad school next year, staying in grad school for 4 years, and then will be able to get another car(hopefully lol). Is this car reliable enough to get me through those 4 years, averaging about 15k miles a year, but most likely less? Are there any issues I should be aware of with this car that hinder it from lasting a long time? Is it relatively inexpensive or expensive to maintain? Not trying to hurt anyone's feelings, just want to make sure I am making the right choice.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2010, 05:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: Mid Atlantic
Send a message via AIM to SicLanEvo
first off if its a 06 it will be a evo IX. Most people who want to make power swap out the MR trans for a 5spd because it holds power and better gearing. If the car has basic bolt on mods with the stock turbo you can make easily 380-400whp without many mods.

as for reliablility, My 03 evo 8 has been used and abused and now has 178k on it. I have all the bolt-ons, cams and alky injection setup for a safety. I am on the stock block, stock head, stock trans, stock diffs. Car runs strong and doesnt give out. I would and I am going to be buying a new evo at the end of the year. we also own a 07 outlander that we love and is great in every way.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicLanEvo View Post
first off if its a 06 it will be a evo IX. Most people who want to make power swap out the MR trans for a 5spd because it holds power and better gearing. If the car has basic bolt on mods with the stock turbo you can make easily 380-400whp without many mods.

as for reliablility, My 03 evo 8 has been used and abused and now has 178k on it. I have all the bolt-ons, cams and alky injection setup for a safety. I am on the stock block, stock head, stock trans, stock diffs. Car runs strong and doesnt give out. I would and I am going to be buying a new evo at the end of the year. we also own a 07 outlander that we love and is great in every way.
Thanks for the info!

I saw it in person, the car is a 9 with an evo 8 tranny swap already done. Isn't $23k a little steep for them to be asking?
Old 07-12-2010, 02:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
SUPER MODERATOR

Car: 06 EVO
Club Region: Outside North America
Send a message via AIM to rookhoe
Ehhh, id say buy it. Especially if you arent going to be putting a lot of miles on it each year. Definitely take it somewhere to be checked over though to make sure it isnt beat to hell. Just be aware, the Evo has more maintenance than your Acura does, and if youre looking for warranty work for the Evo, theres a 50/50 chance you may or may not get it depending on what is done to the car already.

I WANNA GO FAST
Old 07-12-2010, 04:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Actually just found a 2005 with 37k miles and the asking price $23k which is a little steep still for me, but it seems to be alot cleaner (going for a look today) and still has stock turbo with just bolt ons (the way I would like it or do it if I had a stock one to play with). Getting excited actually as the car looks cleaner than the other one I saw online.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement