transfer case noise i think - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Newbie/General Forum
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Newbie/General Forum Beginner/basic questions and general EVO discussion. Specific questions should be asked in a focused forum below. This area is for the newbies.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2005, 03:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 03 EVO
Angry transfer case noise i think

in any gear during decel like at approx. 3000-1500 rpm i hear some noise. not loud at all cause none of my friends heard it. it sounds like gear noise but not sure. i am thinking transfer case or trans cause it only does it in gear. any one else got this. sorry for being a pest but i've only had the evo for a week.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2005, 08:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackawd
sorry for being a pest but i've only had the evo for a week.
Forget that. This is why this community exists. We learn from each other what works and how to fix what we can.
If it is you transfer case, or tranny, a simple fluid change might do the trick.

Old 05-13-2005, 11:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Reputation: Fourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpfulFourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Sounds more like tire rumble to me. The stock tires are very noisy and get noisier as they get miles on them.

Keith
Old 05-25-2005, 04:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've got some pretty loud decel noise from my tranny, kinda like a mechanical, low-pitched rattling. Seems to be more prominent once the car is warmed up, occurs in most gears, at around the RPM range you cited. I've had this for 20k+ miles and nothing's broken so far, I've had the clutch changed and the transfer case apart (to install a Quaife front LSD) and nothing looked out of the ordinary. The sound is rather unnerving though I've been told it's "normal".
Old 06-03-2005, 12:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

well i just noticed some whining today after i let my friend drive it, he launched it and hit the gears really hard and made some clunking sounds, and then afterwards, while driving, i heard whining noises, and when i would go into first, it sounds like something if winding up and then spinning freely...lmk what you is the problem guys

thanks in advance
Old 06-20-2005, 06:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

tranny

hey whats up yo ya i have the same problem but mine is loud and it does it when ever i let of the gas only in gear . i was told by a lot of people its fine it does that when you hit 30000 miles or something like that . hope its nothing bad well later
Old 06-20-2005, 07:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanJhn9
well i just noticed some whining today after i let my friend drive it, he launched it and hit the gears really hard and made some clunking sounds, and then afterwards, while driving, i heard whining noises, and when i would go into first, it sounds like something if winding up and then spinning freely...lmk what you is the problem guys

thanks in advance
ouch.... i dont know if its ur head freakin u out, or if it really happened.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

if it sounds like a quiet medium pitched whine, you here it lower in the rpms but not in the higher rpms because you hear the exhaust then its your transfer case. I've had the noise for about 20k mi and haven't had a problem with it. I just keep up with the fluid and change it regularily
Old 10-28-2005, 11:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

I just got my driveline checked out at the shop. The fluid in the transfer case is cloudy and I have the same symptoms! Mine sounds like a worn bearing and there is fluid leaking where the t-case meets the transaxle. I need to find a stock UICP so I can take it back under warranty. I have not launched my car, but who knows what the previous owner did!

no spell checker?!?!
Old 02-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: New England
Transfer box

Mate has a evo.. Can hear a slight wine, ( possibly a wheel bearing) but others say it cud be the transfer box, how can you tell & how do u repair . Also when u are freewheeling you can still hear the wine, this is why I thought it was maybe a wheel bearing. What does use think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement