what are the best mods for $3000? - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Newbie/General Forum
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Newbie/General Forum Beginner/basic questions and general EVO discussion. Specific questions should be asked in a focused forum below. This area is for the newbies.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2010, 11:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: Southwest
what are the best mods for $3000?

i have budgeted $3000 to put mods on my EVO 8.
looking to put all of them on performance parts.
what are your ideas for the parts and how many hp the evo will gained?
need your help..
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2010, 03:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: Mid Atlantic
Send a message via AIM to SicLanEvo
this has been listed over and over. try searching first mods

Basic boltons will net you a good amount.

Boost gauge
BOV
Intake
TBE
IC pipes
MBC or ecu controlled boost
Fuel pump
FMIC
Cams
tune
Old 02-03-2010, 03:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
SUPER MODERATOR

Car: 06 EVO
Club Region: Outside North America
Send a message via AIM to rookhoe
If I were you, I would look to get an intake and exhaust first. It will allow your Evo to breathe better. For exhaust, look to get a different O2 housing, downpipe, high flow cat/cat delete, and cat back exhaust. For the intake, you can just get a different air filter, or you can get a whole intake kit (ETS has a nice one). All of this might put you around 1000-1300 dollars.

Next, get a tune. Its the only way you're going to get the most out of the parts you installed. If you want to be able to adjust your boost with your new tune, get a manual boost controller. You can pick one up for about 75-80 bucks, or maybe even 50 bucks used. I can't tell you how much a tune costs because all shops prices are different. Where are you located? Because we may be able to point you in the direction of a reputable shop.

You could even most likely get a nice set of cams that are useable with the stock valve train. Kelford, Comp are a couple of brands that I would use for the VIII. The HKS cams, in my opinion, really aren't that big of an improvement over the stock cams. You could probably pick up this mod for about 500-600 bucks and installation is around 400-500. A nice set of cams on stock valve train can net you an additional 30 WHP!

If you shop around, you can easily get all this done for $3000. And your numbers after, with a decent tune, should put you around 320 WHP on a mustang dyno and around 350 WHP on a dynojet dyno. That right there is a fun street car for starters.

Also, if you want to get rid of the ridiculous wheel gap and do t want to spend a fortune on coilovers, pick up a set of springs. My preference, the Swift SPEC-R. They give a moderate drop and they're better than the stock springs. They're about 300 bucks and you can install them yourself.

I WANNA GO FAST
Old 02-03-2010, 09:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: Southwest
thank you for your comments..
at least i can start my project with ideas of experts.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
SUPER MODERATOR

Car: 06 EVO
Club Region: Outside North America
Send a message via AIM to rookhoe
Ahh yes, SicLanEvo definately listed a few points that I missed. Since you have a VIII, you most likely have the plastic BOV. That will definately leak after a while. Instead of buying a "fancy" one since you'll just be doing bolt-on mods for the time being, search online for the JDM IX BOV. Its metal and will hold up to 25 psi easily. I think on some sites theyre being sold for around $95 dollars. Ill leave the searching up to you.

A cheap, yet good boost gauge would be an Autometer gauge. Theyre acurate + or - 1 psi. Those can be bought for around $55-60 bucks depending on where you look as well.

And alas, the fuel pump. In order to net yourself more power with the Evo, youre going to want to be able to pump more fuel. Look to get a Walbro 255 lph fuel pump. Theyre pretty popular in the Evo community and can guarantee you that 90% of owners that mod their Evo end up installing one.

As stated earlier though, there has been a few threads already on here that discuss the same thing. So youre going to have to search before you ask. Have fun modding your Evo friend.

I WANNA GO FAST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement