390hp 385tq SICK!!! - Page 2 - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Community > Regional EVO Clubs > Rocky Mountain EVO Forum
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Rocky Mountain EVO Forum Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, etc.
Rocky Mountain Region Homepage

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2008, 10:46 PM   #16 (permalink)

Nice questions Clay.
Boost coming on late has to do with a few things. I've been playing around with lean spool off. Car was going a little richer than I wanted it to while boosting and coming on from that low rpm. My wastegate FP HP has to be adjusted a few more turns. On the dyno I could hear the wastegate being pushed open on the begining of the big boost. Next, I have my cams on -3 0. This has moved my rpm band far out in the rpm range. I love ripping through the gears this way. This is sopposed to help with high rpm power and high rpm shifting. I played alot with them before I had the 1000s in. Right now I really like the way it drives around. The boost looks slower on that reading to me. Adjusting the wastegate and a few others little things and I will be back on the dyno for even better results. I would like the boost to come on a little earlier and hold a lot better towards the end. This was a great result. This hp does feel awesome I will say.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2008, 11:01 PM   #17 (permalink)

Hey Justin, how are you?

I also wondered that.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:13 PM   #18 (permalink)

check out brp boost level
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2008, 08:25 PM   #19 (permalink)

Tobz that is awesome...I am jealous. I can't wait to do e- 85 on both evo's.

I have a couple questions since I am still learning. Will everyone need a COP?? if they do e-85 on hi psi?? Or is this just different for each car? I want e-85 but can't afford the bushor COP....so I am trying to figure out what I need to be prepared for.

Also everyone is running 880's. I have 720's...can e-85 still be run on 720's. I know it would get close to maxing out the duty cycle, but I want to know if it is doable.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:50 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon View Post
PS. What's up with the boost curve. It's climbing late and peaking WAYYYYYY late, and the point at which it is peaking is light years outside the efficiency of the turbo at this altitude. In fact, by the time yours peaks at 25 or so, mine has dropped to below 20 and is already out of breath. I do hit 26psi peak, but it's down near 4000-4200rpm or so. What's going on there? It's beyond reason to even have 25psi at that rpm at sea level, much less at this altitude. Is the dyno reading off? Whatever it is, I'd much rather have your curve regardless of the actual numbers, because my power peaks in the low 5000s and just dies from there. Yours at least hangs on until 6200 or so, but maybe most of this is explained by the 280s vs my 272/264 setup that made no power.

Right now I am just using a 1/4" vacumm line that is about 10' long that we hook between the FPR and MAP sensor on the dyno. 3 years ago everyone who was looking to dyno wanted to see what their boost level was at and I was the only dyno in town that could do that. Now I am working on moving the dyno's MAP sensor as close to the manifold as possible so we can get rid of that "delay" which is caused by that 10' line that we are currently using. Should have it done by spring time!

Smokey- anytime you run these Evo's above 24psi you risk blowing out the spark unless you have the correct plugs gapped properly and have a strong ignitor such as the COP setup. Keep in mind our stock ignition is only designed to work @ 18psi and the ignition coils tend to wear out faster with continued abuse.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:13 PM   #21 (permalink)

Hey Smoke,

Not everyone will need one. BRP is on stock coils. But as Lucas said, a few things will lead to the need of the COP. The car runs even smoother. And because of the octane rating of E85 it already runs very well. I'm loving the setup and cant wait to get more out of it.

880s can be done. They just run on higher latencies which can make them fail sooner. With the 1000c I'm now seeing IDC ar 65% again. Gives me room for the GREEN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post
Tobz that is awesome...I am jealous. I can't wait to do e- 85 on both evo's.

I have a couple questions since I am still learning. Will everyone need a COP?? if they do e-85 on hi psi?? Or is this just different for each car? I want e-85 but can't afford the bushor COP....so I am trying to figure out what I need to be prepared for.

Also everyone is running 880's. I have 720's...can e-85 still be run on 720's. I know it would get close to maxing out the duty cycle, but I want to know if it is doable.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:30 AM   #22 (permalink)
brp

i probably would get at LEAST 880cc injectors, as it is im pretty much maxed out, i dont remember the duty cycle but according to Justin there is not a whole much left in there for anything.

like tobz said im still on the stock coils and it works fine for the most part, every now and then i get a pretty harsh missfire when driving on the highway if i roll into boost (low rpm WOT) in 5th gear only. i talked to Justin about this a bit and he recomended for me to get the KHS DLI, its a cheaper unit than the buschur ($450) and its what he is using in his car with the fp green without any problems. im holding off on this a little because i just bought an exedy twin carbon clutch and now NEED to have my trasmission rebuilt. my tranny is not enjoying all the power as much as i am!

Last edited by brp; 02-20-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:50 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
every now and then i get a pretty harsh missfire when driving on the highway if i roll into boost (low rpm WOT) in 5th gear only.
Please don't do that, that is about the quickest way to grenade your engine or blow a headgasket especially with as much boost as you are running. That harsh misfire could also be fuel cut depending on where Justin has it set at. Always down shift to avoid lugging the engine.

The only reason I can think why Stefano's coils are still good is because he has very low mileage ie: they are still new.

Last edited by DynoDude; 02-20-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:10 AM   #24 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Yeah, I would never roll into boost from low rpm in top gear at this level of boost/power. That's just begging for grenade action.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:26 AM   #25 (permalink)

I don't get much misfire neither, and I'm running close to the same boost level as stefano, my car has 31k miles and I'm running stock coils also, I too am going to invest into the HKS DLi after I get my tcase rebuilt or find a diff unit. I think John runs the same unit with no problems, correct me if i'm wrong
Old 02-20-2008, 11:30 AM   #26 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynoDude View Post
Please don't do that, that is about the quickest way to grenade your engine or blow a headgasket especially with as much boost as you are running. That harsh misfire could also be fuel cut depending on where Justin has it set at. Always down shift to avoid lugging the engine.

The only reason I can think why Stefano's coils are still good is because he has very low mileage ie: they are still new.

So if I am in 5th gear on the highway and just crusing along say at about 50 or 60 I should not jut press the gas all the way down until I am at full boost or partial boost. Am I correct in how you are explaining it. I should just down shift if I want to hammer on it. Or was that just aimed at BRP
Old 02-20-2008, 03:23 PM   #27 (permalink)
brp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynoDude View Post

thanks for the tip. the way i "figured" this problem out was completelly accidental, i was driving up to meet up with justin just before he left and i went to merge lanes on the highway and got on it to pass a car and missfire...

and yes my car is still fairly low mileage right now, bought the car new back in august of 2006 and just rolled over 9000mi.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:44 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshsevo View Post
So if I am in 5th gear on the highway and just crusing along say at about 50 or 60 I should not jut press the gas all the way down until I am at full boost or partial boost. Am I correct in how you are explaining it. I should just down shift if I want to hammer on it. Or was that just aimed at BRP
Lets just say its a bad idea to lug the engine at all. If you own a NA car than feel free to lug it all day long. Turbo-charged engines it's a bad idea and your asking for trouble.

Lug = to obtain WOT condition at very low RPM's in a high gear
Old 02-20-2008, 06:36 PM   #29 (permalink)

so 720cc's won't work for an e-85 tune at 25 psi?
Old 02-20-2008, 08:10 PM   #30 (permalink)

No Sir, 720 would max out around 20-21 pounds. I ran my 750 up to 22 and that was it. Out of gas. If you want to get the most out of the setup with the safest setup go with 1000s, lower injecotr duty cycles than 880s. FIC Fuel Injector Clinic sells them for $320. Then a tune and your off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement