At the limits of power, focus on traction... - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Community > Regional EVO Clubs > Rocky Mountain EVO Forum
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Rocky Mountain EVO Forum Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, etc.
Rocky Mountain Region Homepage

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2008, 10:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
At the limits of power, focus on traction...

That 11.49 was an unrealistic goal for now I guess. The car ran strong and consistently, but I need to hit an 11.5 before I can worry about 11.4s. It was way hot when TNT started, so I was down 1mph on the traps, but I was still running well. It took 4-5 runs to kinda figure out the DRs, since I started at 35psi and ended at 22-24psi. From run 4 on, every 60' was from 1.63-1.69, and all the runs were 11.62-11.71. I am a little confused on why my better 60's didn't give much better ETs, but there was a pretty strong headwind as the day went on. As it got cooler, we got the headwind, so it didn't help much in terms of conditions - my traps stayed very consistent within 1mph range. Here are my times once I got the DRs working well:

11.712 @ 118.86 - 1.685 60' (all my left lane traps seem 2mph higher than actual)
11.696 @ 112.40 - 1.671 60' (all my right lane traps are ~6mph slower than the left for me, or maybe I'm half Puerto Rican?)
11.677 @ 118.54 - 1.687 60'
11.647 @ 119.18 - 1.659 60'
11.639 @ 113.67 - 1.693 60' (hmm, worst 60' but very good ET - trap is my highest in the right lane by over 1mph to date)
11.633 @ 119.40 - 1.637 60' (wtf, great 60' and high trap but barely better ET than the 1.69 60')
11.627 @ 118.60 - 1.654 60' (worse 60' and lower trap but best ET - hard to figure out)

I had the DRs at 22-24psi and was launching at 7000rpm on the 2-step - it was nasty, but the ETs didn't seem to mimic the 60's. My 11.64 and 11.69 on Sat with street tires were both 1.68 60'. Maybe the conditions weren't quite as good, so my 60's were making up for that difference but not enough to drop down to the 11.5s. I am not sure if I should drop the 2-step down to 6500-6800 and raise the tire pressure some so I keep the drag to a minimum up top. I am not sure if I was spinning or what - I couldn't really feel the DRs as well as my streeties.

I had 3 goals with the 245/45-17 Nitto 555Rs:
  1. Cut much lower 60's - in the 1.5 range = Failure so far, but did get down to 1.63. Not really sure what to do to get 1.5s. Maybe my shifting before the 60' box makes this unrealistic and not even that big of a deal?
  2. Hit the same traps with lower rpm due to 245/45 tire size = Success! I was trapping the same...or maybe half a MPH lower on average, but my rpms were just above 7k rpm instead of upper 7000s. I think it made a 300-400rpm difference, although I'm sure it could be calculated easily by someone who knows what they're doing.
  3. Cut consistent 60's that don't jump from 1.71 to 1.88 as the night goes on and the temps drop = Success! I hit one of my 11.63s at 8:45pm when it had cooled off, a storm front had rolled in, and the wind was blowing straight back. All 1.6s all night.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2008, 10:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Curious...any Idea what the optimum heat range is for those Nitto DR's?

Something to try might be to hit those babies with a tire pyrometer and check out where they are after each run.

Also, if you aren't driving on the street with those babies.....ever consider treating them?

You might be able to hook up a 1.5' 60 ft if you treat those babies
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighGuy View Post
Curious...any Idea what the optimum heat range is for those Nitto DR's?

Something to try might be to hit those babies with a tire pyrometer and check out where they are after each run.

Also, if you aren't driving on the street with those babies.....ever consider treating them?

You might be able to hook up a 1.5' 60 ft if you treat those babies
This was the first time ever using them, and they are brand new. I am driving on them to/from the track, so no treating I guess - I don't know what "treating" is anyway.

I wasn't using a pyrometer, but I was feeling them before and after runs. Since I did spin badly on one run after a long wait in the lanes, I decided to do a "burnout" before every run. I don't actually burnout, but I do a full launch in the burnout lane without going through the water. That seemed to get enough heat for me to do the 1.6s, but they probably could stand to be a little warmer and a little lower pressure. I read that 15-20psi was the optimal tire pressure range, but I didn't go below 22-24 just to be conservative for the first night out.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Pickup a little tire pyrometer and I'll guarantee that playing around with those tire pressures will get ya there.

There are some tasty chemicals like VHT or the like, that if you apply to the tires, make them nice and sticky

It's a little trick from dirt track racing. My friend once put too much on his kart on a dirt race....he was literally "glued" to the track, and it was dirt!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement