Mini battery in the Springs? - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Community > Regional EVO Clubs > Rocky Mountain EVO Forum
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Rocky Mountain EVO Forum Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, etc.
Rocky Mountain Region Homepage

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2008, 04:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Mini battery in the Springs?

Anyone know where I can buy a mini-battery in the Springs, or does anyone have a mini-battery on their Evo that I could borrow for a week (starting tonight)? I think mine has gone past the point of no return after driving the 3-4 weeks with my main battery ground bolt being almost completely backed out and not allowing the battery to recharge efficiently. I had the alternator test out fine, so my guess is the battery got so drained that it can no longer hold a charge. I'm not 100% on this, but after getting it a full recharge Friday night, it decided to peter out this afternoon after a 15-min drive or so - the alternator wasn't able to keep it charged.

Let me know right away if you have an answer to either question via email or cell:
[email protected]
202-413-3036

Thanks!
Clayton

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2008, 08:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

A wise man once told me that the biggest mistake of some evo owners who use small battaries, is that they only buy one at a time, and run a big risk of being caught dead in the water when it dies...

Sorry to hear about your luck. Good luck finding a battery!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ok, no luck, so I'm going to have to try to find a rental car tomorrow. For now, though, I really don't want to leave my Evo in that dark, empty K-mart parking lot on Powers. I'm afraid it may not even be there by tomorrow.

Is anyone around in the Springs who could help me get it? My wife can't, because our 2yo is asleep. I need a ride there, a jump, and then to follow me home down powers so that I can get the car in the garage.

If anyone is still up and able to help, please let me know.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

just to let you know, they make 12V batteries for ride-on lawn mowers, and they are mini battery size, used to use them in emergencies on SR drift cars back east.....
Old 06-30-2008, 09:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Where do they sell those? Home Depot type places?

Old 06-30-2008, 10:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Huge thanks to Elvis and Tyler for picking me up and helping me get the Evo home. I'm a little confused by the fact that it charged up to 14V after one high rpm pull and then held steady the rest of the way home whereas earlier in the day it starting falling down and wouldn't recharge even with hard pulls. I am at a loss at this point on whether it's the battery having trouble holding a charge or the alternator not charging it...or both. The test at Advanced Auto showed the altnerator was strong, so I'm confused.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hey Clay no problem man.
and thank you for helping me out. u have my number man anytime u need some help I with something give me a shoot. and I will try and help u out bro...

But yeah it was weird that it would hold voltage after the one pull. it seems to be a intermitting problem with the alternator... it maybe only happining when it gets extreamly hot under there, and the wires in the alternator expand due to heat and it loses contact to charge.

Hope everything gets figured out and let me know what it is.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

Clay, try Batteries Plus, the one by my house(in Denver) stocks the Odyssey mini batteries. I had to get one when one of the terminals apeared to come loose inside the battery enough to not charge it but I could start the car with a jump. I think it came loose because the cable going to that terminal was a little tight and it just broke itself loose after a while.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

Batteries Plus is who supplies this battery to ETS, so that is where I'm looking. The ones in the Springs don't carry the Odyssey PC680 nor the B&B EVP20-12, so I'm going to check the Denver stores next.

I wonder if I have a similar terminal problem. My positive terminal is too small for the stock bracket, so even fully-tightened, it barely touches. We had to wedge a piece of copper between the bracket and terminal to maintain contact, but it's pretty shoddy. I don't know if I got two negative terminals or what.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

I got mine at the store in Aurora off Abilene Street, their number is 303-745-3333.

Yeah, I slide my new battery back as much as I could so that the positive cable did not have to scretch to get to the terminal and so far so good.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:37 AM   #11 (permalink)

The one on Colorado and Yale near downtown has two PC680s, but that's $160 vs $75 for the one I have, and they are rated the same. I also don't even know if my battery is the problem or something else, so I could feasibly pay big money for the Odyssey only to have it fail in a few weeks.

I don't have any fitment issues with the cables, but for some reason my stock positive bracket is too big for the terminal. Apparently, others don't have this problem. I don't understand why I do.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

sears lawn and garden centers carry the small batt's. home depot might as well

hope it gets taken care of C. strange that the posts aren't the correct size. must have gotten a battery built on a friday afternoon or monday morning
Old 07-01-2008, 06:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

After more testing, I am more inclined to think it's the alternator, because the battery is keeping its charge between driving sessions - even after more than a day of stagnance. It only died after driving 10mins without boosting or going high rpms. Each time I drive it, I have to do at least one high rpm pull to get the alternator to kick in, then it bumps the battery voltage up high and holds the rest of the way even if I go slow. The problem is it won't ever charge the battery if I don't do that hard pull. It also jumps the voltage up to 15V, which is high, so the voltage regulator in the alternator may be messed up.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:15 PM   #14 (permalink)

Clay do hear any noises or anything comming from the front?
yes it could be the voltage regulators, or it could be that the alternator pull is seizing up. so it could be that u have to do a high rpm pull forall the load and force to spin the alternator.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:16 PM   #15 (permalink)

def. sounds like the voltage regulator. the contacts on it might just have some corrosion, or be real dirty, or it's just simply worn out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement