New To The Site - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Community > Regional EVO Clubs > Rocky Mountain EVO Forum
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Rocky Mountain EVO Forum Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, etc.
Rocky Mountain Region Homepage

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2007, 07:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

New To The Site

I wanted to say hello to everyone in the RM area. I have a 05 EVO VIII that I am working on slowly. I have got a turboback 3" custom exhaust done and lower IC piping working on building the upper. I have a manul boost controler pushing 23lbs. I have a K&N intake and I have a TurboXS Utec, O yea some body mods too. I wish I knew how much power I was @? I hope to see you fella's soon.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2007, 08:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
You can find out on a dyno.

Welcome to the site - you came to the right place. Hopefully, by K&N intake, you only mean a drop-in filter or just the cone filter. If you have the Typhoon, then I highly recommend getting rid of it. The UTEC is also not a good choice as your tuning device, but we can help get you on the right track.

It looks like you've already done extensive cosmetic mods. Give us the details.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yes I have the K&N cold air intake . It works great No problems that I have heard of. I have upgraded the breaks rotors and pads to the Bembro rotors and pads. So noise but I guess that is the gases. The front end is a Seibon TS-2 Carbon Fiber Hood and a CWEST front end painted to give it a different look. I have white face gauges in the cluster and a Auto meter Cobalt blue boost gage that matches the blue neons in side. I am thinking about flasing my car and getting rid of the Utec.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

You may n ot notice problems, but if you have the Typhoon, which includes the hard pipe going to the turbo, then it's definitely not good. I would recommend putting on the stock pipe connected to the K&N filter, then remove the UTEC and get flashed by Justin, our local tuner (only $150).

Blue neons inside.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon View Post
You may n ot notice problems, but if you have the Typhoon, which includes the hard pipe going to the turbo, then it's definitely not good. I would recommend putting on the stock pipe connected to the K&N filter, then remove the UTEC and get flashed by Justin, our local tuner (only $150).

Blue neons inside.
LOL the light are for accent nothing more. Also why get rid of the pipe from the turbo to the mass air meter?

Old 08-27-2007, 09:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

First of all I am posting a reply because I cannot figure out how to start a new post on this web site. Having made a fool of myself now, I also am working on my Evo VIII 03 and have this ***** P0300 SES light supposedly from my LWF and Stage II clutch. The car runs great but what a PIA to keep resetting the SES. It will last about 200m and comes on usually when in Cruise Control going down hill. I can even feel the vibration. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Will
Old 08-27-2007, 10:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon View Post

Blue neons inside.
Where is Justin and who is he? I would like this done asap. I hate buring rich.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

I sent an E-mail to Justin at JustDSM but got no reply. He is in Cheyene, Wy. which is near me. I would love to get a tune from him. I sent my ECU to Works and got a generic tune for my TBE and drop-in filter. Will
Old 08-27-2007, 02:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks Wyoevo
Does he do it on a dyno so That way I know what horse and torque I am at? I am hopeing that I am around 300 at the wheels. after the flash

Old 08-27-2007, 03:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 03 EVO
Did Just DSM get back from his trip???

Welcome to the site BAMBAM-------------Warr has a point about the K&N FIPK, people have trouble tunning it. Tests have "pruven"------(shameless plug) better WHP results w/ the drop in K&N filter.

Personnally I like the look of the K&N unit and wouldn't consider changing it for only a few ponies. The carbon fiber makes up for the loss in my book. Also stay away from AEM, they are also hard to tune for. Must be manifold harmonics or something.

General consensus on CAI's for the Evo are HKS SMF, or drop in. I think it has something to do w/ the venturi they build into the MAF adapter. The Weapon R CAI has a venturi as well. (shameless plug again-----------I have one for sale)
Old 08-27-2007, 04:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
LOL the light are for accent nothing more. Also why get rid of the pipe from the turbo to the mass air meter?

Because it has a very poor design and is exactly what causes the problem. I'm giving you years of experience and something that is common knowledge in the Evo world. That Typhoon is the ABSOLUTE WORST intake for the Evo, and it's because of the pipe. It only hurts your, so why use it? It definitely doesn't help. If you just want a pipe there for looks, then there are others to choose from that are designed properly.

Wyoevo and BAMBAM, Justin is on a military assignment for a month, but you can get with him after he gets back.

Wow, UTEC and Works Brain flash - not good, doh!

Old 08-27-2007, 08:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Send a message via AIM to element3927
Hey BAMBAM, I had the typhoon hard pipe in with my kit, but took it out and noticed an unnecessary flap of metal (the venturi) in the pipe. It serves only to restrict the actual amount of flow into your intake, making you burn rich. I swapped out the K&N hard pipe with the stock pipe and noticed an IMMEDIATE difference in power! Try it out, you'll see for yourself
Old 08-27-2007, 08:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

A plate inside of the pipe? Really? Wow.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:03 PM   #14 (permalink)

Sort of...it's a metal flap that hangs down for no apparent reason, and K&N refuses to do anything about it despite many requests.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

So it is baffled? Why would they do this? To give STI's, Stangs, Vette's, Hemi's, a snowballs chance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement