New To The Site - Page 2 - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Community > Regional EVO Clubs > Rocky Mountain EVO Forum
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Rocky Mountain EVO Forum Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, etc.
Rocky Mountain Region Homepage

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2007, 09:19 PM   #16 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Not a flap that moves...just a metal rectangle jutting into the airflow.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2007, 05:44 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon View Post
Not a flap that moves...just a metal rectangle jutting into the airflow.
You must be talking about the metal that comes down from the blow off port. I cut that off and smothed everything out. I did notice that when I bought it. I though it was just mine had extra metal from being put together....lol but I resolved that as soon as it was in my hands. I will put the stock one on and see when I go to the dyno. Thanks for the input

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:26 AM   #18 (permalink)

I know a lot of people have speculated that the pipe is the problem, but from what I can tell it has more to do with the MAF adaptor than anything else. For some reason, several popular MAF to filter adaptors really screw with the airflow through the KV MAF and make the ecu do all sorts of weird things.In extreme cases, this can and will cause the car to not make as much boost as it should. In less severe cases the usual side effects are timing drop, running richer than normal, etc leading to poor performance for the mods done to the car. NO FLASH will fix this, it is an airflow problem.

How old is your UTEC? the first-generation ones absolutely sucked and are worse than useless for an EVO. I actually told one of the higher-ups from Turbo XS that the box sucked and I wouldnt use them at all when I was at SEMA last year, and he admitted that I was 100% right and they had actually fired the guy who led the project for the EVO. He also said that they were re-developing the entire thing so if yours is newer it might have the newer architechture and firmware etc that he had said was in the works, and it might be better. I should call TXS and see if the new version has been released and what, if any improvements have been made. Even if it is a newer version, its my honest opinion there is no reason for a UTEC when you can get your car flashed.
Beware WHO you allow to flash your car as well. There are few in this area who actually understand how the ECU works but many that have a cable and the software. I believe Just DSM does a good job, along with maybe two others in the area including myself.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:26 AM   #19 (permalink)

Also Look at more photos of the car on my website. It is in my profile.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:32 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWalker View Post
I know a lot of people have speculated that the pipe is the problem, but from what I can tell it has more to do with the MAF adaptor than anything else. For some reason, several popular MAF to filter adaptors really screw with the airflow through the KV MAF and make the ecu do all sorts of weird things.In extreme cases, this can and will cause the car to not make as much boost as it should. In less severe cases the usual side effects are timing drop, running richer than normal, etc leading to poor performance for the mods done to the car. NO FLASH will fix this, it is an airflow problem.

How old is your UTEC? the first-generation ones absolutely sucked and are worse than useless for an EVO. I actually told one of the higher-ups from Turbo XS that the box sucked and I wouldnt use them at all when I was at SEMA last year, and he admitted that I was 100% right and they had actually fired the guy who led the project for the EVO. He also said that they were re-developing the entire thing so if yours is newer it might have the newer architechture and firmware etc that he had said was in the works, and it might be better. I should call TXS and see if the new version has been released and what, if any improvements have been made. Even if it is a newer version, its my honest opinion there is no reason for a UTEC when you can get your car flashed.
Beware WHO you allow to flash your car as well. There are few in this area who actually understand how the ECU works but many that have a cable and the software. I believe Just DSM does a good job, along with maybe two others in the area including myself.
Not sure about what version the UTEC is. I took it out the other day. I would like it flashed but I am looking for someone that can do it for me and not break the bank the UTEC was alot. I am will in to give it as a payment if someone will flash my car, if someone wants to do it that way. I really like the ideas. please keep them coming. I was a american muscle man till I got my but in the driver seat of the EVO. Now I will never go back.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:52 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenMasters View Post
Did Just DSM get back from his trip???

Welcome to the site BAMBAM-------------Warr has a point about the K&N FIPK, people have trouble tunning it. Tests have "pruven"------(shameless plug) better WHP results w/ the drop in K&N filter.

Personnally I like the look of the K&N unit and wouldn't consider changing it for only a few ponies. The carbon fiber makes up for the loss in my book. Also stay away from AEM, they are also hard to tune for. Must be manifold harmonics or something.

General consensus on CAI's for the Evo are HKS SMF, or drop in. I think it has something to do w/ the venturi they build into the MAF adapter. The Weapon R CAI has a venturi as well. (shameless plug again-----------I have one for sale)
Last I heard, Justin is supposed to back on Sept. 10th.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:03 AM   #22 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
As I mentioned before, it's only $150 to get custom flashed by Justin - that's peanuts.

Don, you're right - the MAF adapter is also a problem. I had forgotten about that.

BAMBAM, cutting off the flap doesn't fix it, otherwise everyone would just do that and not complain. It's still the worst intake for the Evo.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:41 AM   #23 (permalink)

So you don't like Works. I must say it made the car run very strong. It did include a bigger boost control tubing although I do not have a moniter to measure boost. With the TBE and drop in filter I am very happy but now that I have found this site I am looking for someone to work on the car locally. Will
Old 08-29-2007, 12:21 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoevo View Post
So you don't like Works. I must say it made the car run very strong. It did include a bigger boost control tubing although I do not have a moniter to measure boost. With the TBE and drop in filter I am very happy but now that I have found this site I am looking for someone to work on the car locally. Will
Where is local?

Old 08-30-2007, 06:49 AM   #25 (permalink)

75 m north of Cheyene.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:32 AM   #26 (permalink)

Eh, thats not far- I have had cars in from California and Tennessee lately.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:17 PM   #27 (permalink)

I had the K&N Intake. Get rid of it immediately. Warrtalon is 100% right. The looks are great but the pipe is junk. Not only does it restrict the airflow but I lost torque. It started to pul...but then lost power and torque after 5000rpms...which is where you need the power. Get rid of get rid of it get rid of it. I put the stock tube back in and noticed a HUGE difference. If you want looks and power...then HKS.

I hate to agree with Warrtalon cause it goes against my religion (just kidding) but he is right. Put the stock tube back in...and just get a cone filter or drop in. I beg of you. Learn from my stupidity...I know first hand.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:17 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post
I had the K&N Intake. Get rid of it immediately. Warrtalon is 100% right. The looks are great but the pipe is junk. Not only does it restrict the airflow but I lost torque. It started to pul...but then lost power and torque after 5000rpms...which is where you need the power. Get rid of get rid of it get rid of it. I put the stock tube back in and noticed a HUGE difference. If you want looks and power...then HKS.

I hate to agree with Warrtalon cause it goes against my religion (just kidding) but he is right. Put the stock tube back in...and just get a cone filter or drop in. I beg of you. Learn from my stupidity...I know first hand.
I would like to see dyno on this if someone has it. And to add on the burning rich aspect on the kit. I have always had that from the factory stock. Also any kit you put on will cause this becuse your ECM is not meant for that kit per say. So please don't give me fly by seat of your pants tech help give me numbers and real issues Please. I do like what I hear but no one has really gave me the numbers.
Thanks

Old 08-31-2007, 03:40 PM   #29 (permalink)

Numbers?? How about I was flashed with Vishnu (who did not like the intake either) and I did 306whp and 305tq. Mods were TBE, intake, BOV, and boost controller at 21psi.

After back to stock intake tube, with a dynoflash and lower intercooler piping, 332whp and 330tq. Now part of that was flash, but some of that was intake.

The car is now long gone, but that intake was bad for me. I guess if it works for you...that is great. but personally I would never own that intake ever again.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:23 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post
Numbers?? How about I was flashed with Vishnu (who did not like the intake either) and I did 306whp and 305tq. Mods were TBE, intake, BOV, and boost controller at 21psi.

After back to stock intake tube, with a dynoflash and lower intercooler piping, 332whp and 330tq. Now part of that was flash, but some of that was intake.

The car is now long gone, but that intake was bad for me. I guess if it works for you...that is great. but personally I would never own that intake ever again.
I understand your point but I just want to know the intake is the problem. I highly doubt the intake loses 26 horse at the wheel. Sorry that is not the gain of putting just a Filter on a turbo or not even haven one. I am a mech. SO I do understand what you are sayin but I need proff on the intake is to blame not you feelings. So if you have something beside that I am all ears. Street Concepts does most of my work for me and he is not thrilled I went that route but that is his feelings he said but It will not hurt me.
Any ways forget the intake for a sec. What do you think is the best upgrad other then a pump I already have that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement