Timing Belt Noise - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Community > Regional EVO Clubs > Rocky Mountain EVO Forum
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Rocky Mountain EVO Forum Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, etc.
Rocky Mountain Region Homepage

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2009, 12:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Timing Belt Noise

Hey guys,

in the last few weeks my car started making a noise coming from belt area. I first thought it was a serpentine belt tensioner or one of the pulley. I took the serpentine belt out and checked the pulleys and tensioners and they are fine. The belt is good too. I ran the engine for a few second without the sepentine belt and the noise was still there. Seems to be coming from the armonic balancer area. I took it off and check it and it seems fine. I looked at the timing belt by rotating the engine and it seems to look good. I sprayed a little belt dressing on it, and the noise completely went away. It came back 2 days later. I am really not sure what could be wrong with the belt itself especially after only 13000 miles. any ideas? thanks. Car is a 06MR. I know it is still under warranty but a have a few mods and don't wanna get my warranty voided if it is an easy fix.

Which brings me to the point of, which dealer is ok with not voiding warranty for modded car. Myca r is mildly moded, it as: TBE, O2 Sensor housing, Boost controller, cone air filter, fuel pump...

thanks
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2009, 05:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: Mid Atlantic
Send a message via AIM to SicLanEvo
they have to prove that those things caused your issues to deny your warrenty claim. I wouldn't have taken anything off and tried to fix it yourself since they will be able to see that. I dont know what your car is doing but you may want to take some vid so we can see/hear the noise.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: Rocky Mountain
I actually found a post on it on EvoM:
IX Engine idle noise (belt?) (video) - evolutionm.net

It is the EXACT same noise. It seems to be a fairly common problem!!

I know for a fact it is the timing belt or timing belt gears, so I need to get a dealer to fix it.
I'd like some input on where to take it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement