What interests you most? - Page 3 - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right
 

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Community > Regional EVO Clubs > Rocky Mountain EVO Forum
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Rocky Mountain EVO Forum Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, etc.
Rocky Mountain Region Homepage

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: What interests you most in relation to Evos?
Race Evos? 4 25.00%
Dyno queens? 1 6.25%
Normal spending while going way faster than most? 10 62.50%
Mostly show? 0 0%
Meet'n'greet? 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2008, 03:58 PM   #31 (permalink)
 
Registered: May 2007
Posts: 804
Reputation: Evolvd is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon View Post
But the Evo is built to road race. Why would you want to purposely ruin that and make it unable to succeed at what it does best? If your Evo is too low to road race, then it's too low period. Are you more concerned with the looks of 19" rims and a slammed suspension than you are with the health, performance, and quality of your Evo? It sounds like you've crippled and castrated what was originally a beast in stock form.

Why is it so wrong to want to slam your supsension and run with 19's? You've turned a question poll into a biased opinion towards a mod path you don't agree with.

Corvettes are built to road race too but I bet 90% of them aren't racing at all....
Offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-18-2008, 07:54 PM   #32 (permalink)
 
Warrtalon's Avatar
 
Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Registered: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,506
Images: 12
Reputation: Warrtalon is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
What are your real intentions with these comments?

Here's what I see in these options.
1) Do you prefer evos modded by rich people, who have more resources than you?
2) BRP, I'm still mad about our argument on the "tuning" thread.
3) Do you guys like my car?
4) I didn't spend money on this, why would you?
5) I don't get along with a lot of members on this board; that doesn't matter, does it?

Keep in mind that I'm relatively new on these boards; I could be misinterpreting your intentions. Nevertheless, if the options appear this skewed to me, they may appear similarly to others...
My intentions are to find out what people like and why, because I have my own narrow opinions and need to understand better why people do certain things.

1) I have quite a bit of money but don't choose to spend it on the Evo. I do, however, like really fast race Evos, but it's not my #1 interest. However, I don't just like any Evo that makes a lot of power and has tons of money into it. I am impressed by the ones that are put together well and show results close to the costs. As a hypothetical example, I don't consider being 20k in debt with a broken car to be an instance of "having more resources than I."
2) Not sure who your influences are, but I can't see how you'd correlate the term "dyno queen" to me being mad at anyone. Either you don't know what a "dyno queen" is, or this is your prference - cars that only dyno and brag about those numbers relentlessly without any track results and without realizing the meaning of the term correction factor. It seems you put BRP in this category from your comment.
3) You consider my car in this category? Good, because it interests me most. I think Corey's car fits in this category perfectly as he has run 11.9s at both local tracks and looks stocker than stock with no cosmetic mods, no stickers (maybe just an RMEVO one on the window), no wing (RS), stock VIII rims, and plain jane tires. Utter sleeper that will break people off at the track. Notice he is more interested in Race Evos. I have a feeling his own car will be taking that route before too long.
4) This is the only category I don't like, however, I can appreciate a nice-looking Evo. I do struggle with Evos that go overboard trying to look cool but can't get out of their own way in terms of performance. It's kind of embarassing.
5) I like meets, but not enough to forego time spent with my family. I typically only use that free time for racing, since it's far more enjoyable, rewarding, and useful (imo) in terms of owning an Evo. I can hang out with anyone at any time with any car, but I can't run 11s, compete nationally in autox, and blast most of the state away on the road course with any car. I am REALLY interested in meets that involve racing. Unfortunately, that does not occur here - people prefer Hooters over Bandimere it seems.





__________________
[email protected] - PMI
[email protected] - Bandi
Offline  
Old 06-18-2008, 08:04 PM   #33 (permalink)
 
Warrtalon's Avatar
 
Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Registered: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,506
Images: 12
Reputation: Warrtalon is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwngs444 View Post
I understand the evo is a road race car but that's also what drove me to it, the handling! I simply like the looks of the 19's nothing more
I like the looks of a lot of things, but I don't purchase them if they hurt the performance of my Evo. It's far more important to me for my Evo to perform to its max than it is for it to look nice. It is 100% ok if you disagree - that is exactly why I asked these questions...so that I understand what makes you guys tick.

Quote:
I'm not a fan of the stock evo look and my evo is too low to road race
Quote:
and it's not slammed because I don't want to ruin the suspension it's still stock.
You said that you can't road race, because your Evo is too low, but now you say the suspension is stock? I'm confused. If you have stock suspension, then you are at stock ride height, which means you can't be too low to road race.

Quote:
IMO just because it's built for "rally style" racing doesn't mean you have to race it like that or you're a bad evo owner. I would love to road race another car just not mine, too much money and time invested in it. "PRO CHOICE"
Oh, of course, no one said you HAVE to race it, but I'm asking why you would purposely and knowingly reduce the performance of an amazing, purpose built car like that. You can purchase ANY vehicle pretty much and slap 19s on it. I just don't understand doing it to an Evo. I don't have to understand or like it - you can do what you want - but I was trying to gain a better understanding of something that baffles me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evovld
Why is it so wrong to want to slam your supsension and run with 19's? You've turned a question poll into a biased opinion towards a mod path you don't agree with.

Corvettes are built to road race too but I bet 90% of them aren't racing at all....
I didn't say it was wrong. I asked why he would do it. He then said his suspension was stock, so I'm not sure how it's too low to road race - he confused me. If it were slammed, it's of course his prerogative, but I was asking why he would do it when he knows it hurts the performance of the car. It doesn't register in my brain how someone could purposely spend money (large sums actually) to worsen their car...that's all.

Sure, 90% may not be racing, but that's not the point. How many of them are adding things to their badass car that reduce performance? Not too many, but I'm sure there are some. There are always exceptions and anomalies that can't be explained.





__________________
[email protected] - PMI
[email protected] - Bandi
Offline  
 
Old 06-18-2008, 08:25 PM   #34 (permalink)
 
Registered: May 2007
Posts: 804
Reputation: Evolvd is an unknown
I know you're just beyond belief when people say that...but in the end it's not up to them to explain it to you. It's their choice, whether you agree with it or not. Personally I see no point in jacking up a Cutlass Supreme and putting 30" rims on it. But it's a personal choice and it's a unique style. Just because a car is built to a certain performance level does not automatically mean that is should be driven at said level. How many people own 4-wheel drive pick up trucks but never actually go off road with them? That would be just as much a waste if we went by your opinion.

Not trying to start any crap flinging...just pointing out that it's not your job to question why people do what they do.
Offline  
Old 06-18-2008, 08:37 PM   #35 (permalink)
 
Warrtalon's Avatar
 
Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Registered: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,506
Images: 12
Reputation: Warrtalon is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
You're right, but I certainly have the right to try to understand don't I? I don't think it has to be my job in order for me to be curious, yah? There are many things in life that aren't my job (everything except 1), but that doesn't keep me from questioning them. I'm very curious to understand and am constantly questioning. It is my nature. You are the opposite (at least in this one scenario) - you just accept without question and don't generally care. Just different personalities and mindsets...





__________________
[email protected] - PMI
[email protected] - Bandi
Offline  
Old 06-18-2008, 09:01 PM   #36 (permalink)
 
Registered: Dec 2007
Posts: 328
Reputation: Wicked E is an unknown
Warr-

I'm curious to know where you would put my car...

-E
Offline  
Old 06-18-2008, 09:05 PM   #37 (permalink)
 
Registered: Dec 2007
Posts: 328
Reputation: Wicked E is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon View Post
My intentions are to find out what people like and why, because I have my own narrow opinions and need to understand better why people do certain things.

1) I have quite a bit of money but don't choose to spend it on the Evo. I do, however, like really fast race Evos, but it's not my #1 interest. However, I don't just like any Evo that makes a lot of power and has tons of money into it. I am impressed by the ones that are put together well and show results close to the costs. As a hypothetical example, I don't consider being 20k in debt with a broken car to be an instance of "having more resources than I."
2) Not sure who your influences are, but I can't see how you'd correlate the term "dyno queen" to me being mad at anyone. Either you don't know what a "dyno queen" is, or this is your prference - cars that only dyno and brag about those numbers relentlessly without any track results and without realizing the meaning of the term correction factor. It seems you put BRP in this category from your comment.
3) You consider my car in this category? Good, because it interests me most. I think Corey's car fits in this category perfectly as he has run 11.9s at both local tracks and looks stocker than stock with no cosmetic mods, no stickers (maybe just an RMEVO one on the window), no wing (RS), stock VIII rims, and plain jane tires. Utter sleeper that will break people off at the track. Notice he is more interested in Race Evos. I have a feeling his own car will be taking that route before too long.
4) This is the only category I don't like, however, I can appreciate a nice-looking Evo. I do struggle with Evos that go overboard trying to look cool but can't get out of their own way in terms of performance. It's kind of embarassing.
5) I like meets, but not enough to forego time spent with my family. I typically only use that free time for racing, since it's far more enjoyable, rewarding, and useful (imo) in terms of owning an Evo. I can hang out with anyone at any time with any car, but I can't run 11s, compete nationally in autox, and blast most of the state away on the road course with any car. I am REALLY interested in meets that involve racing. Unfortunately, that does not occur here - people prefer Hooters over Bandimere it seems.
All points in bold I 200% agree with. I choose to keep my mouth shut about people's cars because i am not the one paying for them.

I would like for you to consider your point #1 and what I highlighted in bold. I can attest to this 100% because I did it with my previous build. I put myself in so much debt with it, I'm still paying for it and it's sitting in my garage being an eyesore now. Having money to do these things is nice BUT as I got older, I kick myself the things I could have used the money for instead like starting my dream business that I have since had to put on hold for a few years.

-E
Offline  
Old 06-18-2008, 09:34 PM   #38 (permalink)
 
Warrtalon's Avatar
 
Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Registered: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,506
Images: 12
Reputation: Warrtalon is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked E View Post
Warr-

I'm curious to know where you would put my car...

-E
You aren't clearly defined, so I'd have to put you in 5 for now.

1) You aren't a race evo
2) You aren't a dyno queen
3) You haven't gone fast yet but I think you'll fall into #3 pretty well when you get the clutch in
4) It's not a show car but has tasteful exterior mods, and it looks way nicer than my GG MR, hah.





__________________
[email protected] - PMI
[email protected] - Bandi
Offline  
Old 06-18-2008, 09:37 PM   #39 (permalink)
 
Registered: Dec 2007
Posts: 328
Reputation: Wicked E is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon View Post
You aren't clearly defined, so I'd have to put you in 5 for now.

1) You aren't a race evo
2) You aren't a dyno queen
3) You haven't gone fast yet but I think you'll fall into #3 pretty well when you get the clutch in
4) It's not a show car but has tasteful exterior mods, and it looks way nicer than my GG MR, hah.
Whoo hoo, my own category!!

-E
Offline  
Old 06-18-2008, 09:47 PM   #40 (permalink)
 
Warrtalon's Avatar
 
Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Registered: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,506
Images: 12
Reputation: Warrtalon is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Well, although people's cars can fit into certain categories, that doesn't necessarily mean it's what interests them most. In my case, my car is built to my interest. That is not necessarily the case for others. Many of us would love to have a race Evo but either don't have the resources or aren't willing to devote that much time and money into a car, but it sure is a nice dream!





__________________
[email protected] - PMI
[email protected] - Bandi
Offline  
Old 06-19-2008, 05:40 AM   #41 (permalink)
 
Registered: May 2007
Posts: 804
Reputation: Evolvd is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon View Post
You're right, but I certainly have the right to try to understand don't I? I don't think it has to be my job in order for me to be curious, yah? There are many things in life that aren't my job (everything except 1), but that doesn't keep me from questioning them. I'm very curious to understand and am constantly questioning. It is my nature. You are the opposite (at least in this one scenario) - you just accept without question and don't generally care. Just different personalities and mindsets...
Excuse my directness. What I was getting at was that the manner in which you question or even sometimes belittle mod choices (i.e. crippled and castrated it's performance) could lend some to think you are judging them based on what you think an Evo should be used for. It's all in how you say it, not what you're saying.

I too think I fall into a seperate category. I don't have a show queen, no dyno monster, no race car....I have a highly modified street machine that I like to keep looking nice/clean that just happens to have more oomph than the average DD Evo.
Offline  
Old 06-19-2008, 05:49 AM   #42 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member
 
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Registered: Jul 2007
Posts: 780
Reputation: Joshsevo is an unknown
My car fits into the looks cool and goes overboard. LOL...damn stickers
Offline  
Old 06-19-2008, 06:08 AM   #43 (permalink)
 
Warrtalon's Avatar
 
Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Registered: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,506
Images: 12
Reputation: Warrtalon is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolvd View Post
Excuse my directness. What I was getting at was that the manner in which you question or even sometimes belittle mod choices (i.e. crippled and castrated it's performance) could lend some to think you are judging them based on what you think an Evo should be used for. It's all in how you say it, not what you're saying.

I too think I fall into a seperate category. I don't have a show queen, no dyno monster, no race car....I have a highly modified street machine that I like to keep looking nice/clean that just happens to have more oomph than the average DD Evo.
Yes, my words were colorful, but if you notice, he said himself that his Evo could not road race due to mods he had done to it. I then used more colorful words to reiterate what he had said while asking why he would do that.

I agree on your car's category, but what interests you most? You said you enjoy all 5 to some degree and that memories are what matter. My question is...what is most memorable? To me, it's winning races against top competition, hitting record drag times, or beating 100+ cars at a track event.





__________________
[email protected] - PMI
[email protected] - Bandi
Offline  
Old 06-19-2008, 07:20 AM   #44 (permalink)
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Posts: 85
Reputation: DWalker is an unknown
Personally, I like them all to some degree, but my true favorite Evo "type" has to properly done road race cars.Not really your average coil-over equipped cone dodgers, but cars with proper safety equipment and attention given to wheels, tires, brakes, etc. above and beyond what some forum-poster somewhere thinks works, or some heavily biased (stop-tech anyone?) magazine review/ "expert" opinion. I like originality and purposeful thinking as the car is modded. I HATE seeing cars with a hodge-podge of parts bought ONLY because they were the absolute lowest price the owner could find. Walking up to a decent-looking car and seeing a HKS front Strut bar, GT Spec rear bar, Aeromotive fuel rail, some ebay FMIC with four different colour couplers and a used crappy BOV, Megan Exhuast manifold with a Bushur exhuast and greddy boost controller, AEM wideband with an Ebay special Boost guage, etc etc etc- when I see a car like that I immediately think the owner is a cheap SOB who buys most if not all his parts used or whatever is on "sale". I truly appreciatte and think it is much more "put-together" when one brand is used as much as possible on a car with other brands only selected when the "main" brand doesnt make the part required.
As far as my favorite ACTIVITY with Evos, road racing is also by far my favorite thing to do, although I have as yet not had the opportunity to get this car on track. Time attack and autocrossing are interesting but they bore me quickly. What actually amazes me about the current "top level" time attackers is that you have the virtually UNLIMITED AMS and HKS Evos out there and they cant even make the same lap times as a simple SWCGt/SWCT car. 700 or higher HP, huge tires, aero work, complete carbon bodywork, etc and they are falling short of 500whp cars on "street" tires. Hugely interesting and it really says to me that at any time a serious player wanted to he could smoke the feild into the dirt (Hienrecy for example, a couple of years ago....) Cone dodging lost all appeal for me the second I drove my first lap around a road course. Auto-x is MUCH harder on the car than road racing and IMHO has the least possible reward for the time/money spent. That said, I did win a regional championship back in 96, so at one time I really did enjoy it

To whomever thinks that you can "learn" how to drive on the street for the track- your extremely wrong. when you are on a racetrack there is a specific "line" you take that will result in the best laptime for your car and setup. This line often uses the entire track and then some, something you cannot do on the street safely with the constant risk of traffic/pedestrians. It is vitually impossible to drive a car on the street at much more than 7/10ths of its ability simply because of the lack of traction-streets oddly enough, often have oil/antifreeze/dirt/gravel/etc. laying about which compromises traction and will not give you the traction you need to truly push the car. Even if you have a traffic and pedestrian free dry clean road, virtually all roads (especially out of the way "country" roads) have littel to no runoff so when you make a mistake you will pay dearly for it. Many moons ago when I was a lot younger and not quite as bright as I like to think I am I managed to run my car off the raod, through a farmers fence, and into a tree, causing catastrophic damage to the car and scaring the hell right out of an innocent cow grazing nearby. It was while I was repairing the fence in 100+ humidity on a 90 degree day surrounded by every type of biting fly imaginable that I decided maybe the old-timers were right and playing road-race driver on the streets wasnt a good idea after all. A few years later I re-learned the lesson as I spun my 944 (on race tires) in traffic ending up facing a very large SUV that very fortunately had very good anti-lock brakes and a driver that was actually doing the speed limit instead of 20 over like everyone else. That was pretty much the last time I really "pushed" my cars on the street. Yeah I take a corner fast once in awhile, and I drive "spiritedly" through the mountians quite often, but I dont push hard, and its always in the back of my head that I have been very lucky so far, I might not get lucky again.
Offline  
Old 06-19-2008, 09:27 AM   #45 (permalink)
 
Warrtalon's Avatar
 
Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Registered: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,506
Images: 12
Reputation: Warrtalon is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
I have to agree with just about everything you said, Don. I agree that one lap around a road course, and it makes everything else seem very lame (autox and drag).





__________________
[email protected] - PMI
[email protected] - Bandi
Offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:02 PM.


vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2007 AutoForums.com - EVOtuners.net - All Rights Reserved.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.