Alky injection, what fuel do you use? - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Bolt-On Power Mods
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Bolt-On Power Mods Intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2007, 01:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Alky injection, what fuel do you use?

Those of you who are using alky injection, are you still filling up with 93 octane or are you using regular ole 87?

Kind of curious.

I'm stilling running the Intercooler vs alky debate in my mind. If I go alcohol, I'll probably go with Aquamist since they are probably the best kit around. I have no idea what intercooler I'd buy, since I refuse to remove or mangle my front crash beam.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2007, 03:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

You should never run 87 in your car, even with alky. 91 or 93 if you have it available.

And nearly every replacement IC does not require any modification to the crash beam unless it's a larger Race core for 600+ hp.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Errrr, people don't use lower octane with alky. The whole point is to improve your octane, not to save $.20/gal on gas or whatever. You should always use the highest possible octane available (91 or 93 usually).

Old 06-18-2007, 08:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

But does the difference between 110 octane equivalent or 113 really going to be that big?

I don't care about saving gas, if that was the case I wouldn't have sc'd my s2k and dropped it 5mpg, or be driving an evo... I'd be driving an accord hybrid or something.

I'm looking at the Buschur fmic, ams, or turbo xs right now. I'm not getting an ebay rust-o-part.

I'm working/talking with Sean Ivey to figure out what mod I'm doing next. I already decided to suck it up and buy another O2 housing, though my o2 sensor is cross threaded into the factory one and it'll cost me more than the housing
Old 06-18-2007, 09:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

It's the difference between using the the best available that you can afford. You can't compare meth+pump to a race gas as the power you make is dependent on the quality of the pump gas, timing used and many other factors. So why take the chance, and have less available power for your car by lower grade gas?
Old 06-19-2007, 06:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah, we're not talking 110 vs 113, we're talking really crappy 87 against 91 or 93. The lower the octane gas you use, the less power you can make with the alky.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

Well, after talking with Sean Ivey I'm going to start doing my homework on various meth kits and see what I want to do with it. The meth kit will get me better gains than the front mount, and the fmic can wait until I really make up my mind on the fp green. I'll want the meth for the fp green anyway.

So much to read so little time. Have to read up on the various kits, safety features, install, etc etc. I almost want to install it myself, but I don't feel like having my engine go boom either.

So far I've heard that Aquamist is probably the best, SMC makes a good kit and is recommended by Buschur and Ivey, Snow has mixed reviews, and avoid the others.

Sigh, I need to buy an afr too. I'd have one already if I was half as smart as I think I am.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

How much meth do you go through out of curiosity? And do people actually use windshield washer fluid??? That just sounds funny to me.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

No, people don't use washer fluid - that's low quality stuff that doesn't have as much power potential. I personally use 100% denatured alcohol that I get for $13/gal at Home Depot. Many people use meth that can be found for as little as $3/gal, but that's usually in bulk. Meth is harder to find unless you happen to live near a track or other business that keeps it in stock. Both have about the same power potential, although you cannot use them interchangeably - they require completely different tunes.

I go through alky very slowly, but I may not be a good example, because I'm setup with a small nozzle and progressive spray that only begins at 18psi and maxes at 26psi. Likewise, at my altitude, my boost is RARELY at a full 26psi, and my daily drive is short with little boosting. Typically, though, back at sea level with plenty of boosting, I would last one tank (1 gallon) per 2 tanks of gas, which was every 2-3 weeks or so.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

This weirded me out a bit at first, but more search shows otherwise... Slowboy charges $90 for 4 gallons of Snow Boost Juice, which made me wonder how much of this stuff people go through... On Snow's website, its $25 for 4 gallons.

But anyway, I figure I've got a couple of weeks of intense research to do before I decide what kit to buy... If I buy...
Old 06-22-2007, 09:34 AM   #11 (permalink)

The kit I have uses a modified trunk mount windshield washer reservoir that replaces the one I had in my 05. I don't know the exact size but if Im at the track it lasts me just under a half tank of gas, but that figure is for boosting continuosly. I normally go through a tank of meth about every 2 weeks just daily driving. Luckily I can get 100% methanol at 2 places in town for $2.50ish a gallon so its not really expensive at all. Its a progressive kit so it starts spraying at 15 psi and increases the volume of injection up until full boost which for me spikes at 28psi and will taper off to 26 psi.

I would highly recommend the methanol as a mod if you or someone you know/can pay knows how to properly set it up. The car is pretty quick on the pump tune but with the methanol and high boost it feels like a big block chevy in regards to the amount of torque.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:00 AM   #12 (permalink)

Sean Ivey has his own shop now and hired some good techs to work in it. I'll be using them or my regular mechanic (who has installed several meth kits) .
Old 06-28-2007, 08:32 AM   #13 (permalink)

If purchasing 100% methanol is what we're looking for, then it can be purchased and shipped from http://www.goestores.com/home.aspx?Merchant=highfuelsn.

I'm personally a fan of the boost juice from Snow Performance. To me, it takes all of the thinking about mixing the correct amounts of this with that.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:26 AM   #14 (permalink)

There should be no thinking, though, because you don't need to mix anything. It should be 100% meth or 100% alky, and the boost juice costs more even though it's just diluted with water.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:11 PM   #15 (permalink)

So far about the only thing I've figured out about meth kits is if I buy one, I want a progressive kit that starts spraying somewhere between 13 psi and 24psi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement