Alky injection, what fuel do you use? - Page 2 - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Bolt-On Power Mods
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Bolt-On Power Mods Intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2007, 05:31 PM   #16 (permalink)

Mine is the "Alky Control" meth kit (link: http://www.alkycontrol.com/). I live near the Midwest VP Fuel distributor, so I get meth @ $2.00 a gallon. I have a 06 evo IX, and boost 29psi, the meth kicks on @ 8 and the fuel maps and ignition reflect it. Wasn't hard to fine tune with ecuflash.

It's the best "bang for the buck" mod I have ever done, and I can turn it on and off @ leisure.

I recommend a TBE, strong clutch, and a good EBC/ or a good 'ole MBC.

Back to topic though. I run 100% meth because of the octane it provides. Filling up with regular would totally contradict my purchasing the kit in the first place. It cools the intake charge a little as well, but the main purpose is to run more advanced timing with more boost, with no knock / det.

Keep the 91/93 octane and spray meth or a good combo. You can attain 400ish awhp with the stock 9 turbo, meth inj, and supporting mods.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2007, 07:30 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon View Post
There should be no thinking, though, because you don't need to mix anything. It should be 100% meth or 100% alky, and the boost juice costs more even though it's just diluted with water.
I understand the benefits of running either 100% meth or alky. It looks like I'll have to make a few adjustments in my plans and go away from the Boost Juice.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:34 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostoff View Post
Mine is the "Alky Control" meth kit (link: http://www.alkycontrol.com/). I live near the Midwest VP Fuel distributor, so I get meth @ $2.00 a gallon. I have a 06 evo IX, and boost 29psi, the meth kicks on @ 8 and the fuel maps and ignition reflect it. Wasn't hard to fine tune with ecuflash.

It's the best "bang for the buck" mod I have ever done, and I can turn it on and off @ leisure.

I recommend a TBE, strong clutch, and a good EBC/ or a good 'ole MBC.

Back to topic though. I run 100% meth because of the octane it provides. Filling up with regular would totally contradict my purchasing the kit in the first place. It cools the intake charge a little as well, but the main purpose is to run more advanced timing with more boost, with no knock / det.

Keep the 91/93 octane and spray meth or a good combo. You can attain 400ish awhp with the stock 9 turbo, meth inj, and supporting mods.
I'm not trying to take away from the thread so I apologize. You're running 29 PSI on a stock IX turbo. That's pretty impressive. I wonder what boost levels I can run on a stock VIII and my .50 trim once it's installed.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:54 AM   #19 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
all stock turbos can run about the same boost. It really depends on what you are comfortable with, what is suitable for your tune, and how healthy your turbo and motor are.

The 50 trim can run 29-30psi much more efficiently than the stock turbo, but it is also out of efficieny at 30psi (just not as much as the stock turbo). The 50-trim sweet spot is in the 26-28psi range, and it does not drop off in power up top like the stocker...

Old 07-12-2007, 10:27 AM   #20 (permalink)

Well, I figured out I want an Aquamist. Excellent safety and really good progressive system.

Only problem is its way out my price range right now, so I guess I'll wait until I have a few more bucks in the bank.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:44 PM   #21 (permalink)

Make sure you have a wideband as well in a good viewing position, that's always a concrete way to see if you are safe or not.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:16 AM   #22 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 06 EVO
Dynosheet: 329whp/305 lb-ft
Club Region: Midwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by antisocial View Post
Well, I figured out I want an Aquamist. Excellent safety and really good progressive system.

Only problem is its way out my price range right now, so I guess I'll wait until I have a few more bucks in the bank.
Have you found a good place to buy them?

What I've seen so far is around $900

Dennis
Old 07-13-2007, 06:24 AM   #23 (permalink)

That's how much they cost man, but they are far superior compared to the competition. They actually have a real safety system compared to many others "kind of a failsafe" solutions. The kit is also much better to tune with. They also are much harder to install, so if your paying someone to do it for you it'll be fairly expensive. Its the install cost that are stopping me, not the kit cost.

This kit is miles above the competition. This is where the old saying "you get what you pay for" is actually true.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:31 AM   #24 (permalink)

For anyone considering alky, I recommend finding out if E85 is readily available in your area, because if it is, it would be much better to upgrade injectors and run E85 24/7 than to run alky. Lower cost of parts (injectors only), lower cost of gas (E85 is less than 91/93 and no alky/meth purchase), and it makes more power than some of the best race gas. The downside is reduced gas mileage.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:49 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon View Post
For anyone considering alky, I recommend finding out if E85 is readily available in your area, because if it is, it would be much better to upgrade injectors and run E85 24/7 than to run alky. Lower cost of parts (injectors only), lower cost of gas (E85 is less than 91/93 and no alky/meth purchase), and it makes more power than some of the best race gas. The downside is reduced gas mileage.
Very true, but the lower mileage is offset by the cheaper price.

Unfortunately for me, there are no E85 stations in the state of NJ and I'd have to ship it in by the drum which averages out to $6 a gallon. Not to mention if you take your car on long trips its nearly impossible to find an E85 station. You could never drive farther than away than you could return on one tank of gas.

Personally, E85 will never be a viable fuel source for a daily driver like me until all gas stations are carrying it from Washing DC to NYC. At least with meth/alky, I can set my aem trueboost to OFF and keep it at wastegate pressure if I run out.

Honestly, we need to be able to run BOTH types of fuel at the same time. I'm pretty sure that once you go E85 on the Evo you have to get tuned/reflashed to go back to pump.

E85 would be great if you never drive farther than 100 miles away from your E85 source and can return to refuel before running out.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:16 AM   #26 (permalink)

Long trips aren't a problem, because you would just have a 91 or 93oct tune that you switch to for the drive. You wouldn't need your E85 tune/power/boost for the long distance anyway - not a problem.

I don't need all stations carrying - I just need enough. In fact, when I first moved to Colorado Springs, only one station had 93, and I'd drive across town every time to get it. Now, we have 3 stations with E85, so it's even better, but I just haven't upgraded injectors yet. I definitely will do that and remove the alky kit as soon as it expands. They already plan to spread to 40 others stations in our area, so it's soon going to be worthwhile as long as it's legal in all my racing venues.

Yes, of course you have to have a different tune for pump, but again, that's a non-issue with EcuFlash. You just load whatever tune you need - easy as pie.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:21 AM   #27 (permalink)

I wish NJ would finally catch a clue and get E85. Its pretty pathetic that the ENTIRE freaking state doesn't have it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement