Best bolt on mods for the Bucks - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Bolt-On Power Mods
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Bolt-On Power Mods Intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2008, 02:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Best bolt on mods for the Bucks

I have an EVO 8 and was thinking what would be the best mods for the bucks what you need and what you don't need and whats a wast of money what mods will give you the power
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2008, 06:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Lower intercooler pipe, Intercooler, cams,

exhaust would be the first thing to get.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Don't for get a Boost controler. Also a flash is the best bang for your bucks. Josh is right start with the exhaust and then intake. That includes a Lower IC pipe.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 01-23-2008, 11:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Intake, ic pipes, and fmic are not where you start - they go at the end.

As has been stated many times by the board experts, this is the path for an VIII:

- Turboback exhaust (i.e. Buschur TBE w/Bullet muffler)
- Boost controller (i.e. Forge MBC)
- Walbro 255 fuel pump
- BOV (i.e. JDM MR DV)
- Tune (EcuFlash)

Then:
- Cams
- Ported/Coated stock exhaust manifold
- 10.5 hotside if you have an 03-04
- SS O2 housing
- LICP

Then:
- Race gas, alky, or E-85
- FMIC + UICP

Put the intake wherever you want, but it's more of a noisemaker than anything else.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

I live in cali and we use 91 pump gas and it really dont help to get the power out of the evo so im coming up on an DC catback for 280 used and peace togeather a down pipe and a test pipe it would be cheaper if you in my shoes would you pick up on the deal or wait for bushur 825 tbe???????
Old 01-23-2008, 09:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

It doesn't really matter - a TBE in and of itself isn't that great in terms of $/hp, so if you're strapped for cash, you should focus on an MBC and flash.

Piecing together a TBE is fine as long as the individual pieces aren't crap.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon View Post
Intake, ic pipes, and fmic are not where you start - they go at the end.

As has been stated many times by the board experts, this is the path for an VIII:

- Turboback exhaust (i.e. Buschur TBE w/Bullet muffler)
- Boost controller (i.e. Forge MBC)
- Walbro 255 fuel pump
- BOV (i.e. JDM MR DV)
- Tune (EcuFlash)

Then:
- Cams
- Ported/Coated stock exhaust manifold
- 10.5 hotside if you have an 03-04
- SS O2 housing
- LICP

Then:
- Race gas, alky, or E-85
- FMIC + UICP

Put the intake wherever you want, but it's more of a noisemaker than anything else.
Would you suggest fuel injectors with the fuel pump? I don't know the evo 8s as well, but the 9s see to like upgraded injectors. I got 50hp off of a TBE (stock Cat) and tune. Then I got an additional 32hp off of fuelpump, injectors, High Flow Cat and a tune. Here in Norcal, this seems to be the standard route for upgrades. i've had 2 friends hold out on injectors. Both were running 95%-100% duty cycle on their injectors at 23psi, at full throttle. i don't know how that applies to 8s though...
Old 01-24-2008, 12:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
It's the same. It does not take much to get the stock injectors above 80% IDC. Some people run like that, but it's best not to.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

I don't know where the extra 32whp came from just by doing fuel parts - those don't give power, they just allow you to make more power with other mods. Anyway, larry likes injectors and says it makes a bigger difference on cars with 91oct, but we've been making 350-400whp on stock injectors on both 8s and 9s for years without any issues. I have no problem going up to 90% IDC, but I try to avoid going beyond that. It's definitely not a first mod - it's at the very end of all the bolt-ons just before upgrading the turbo, imo.

PS. By definition, a TBE does not have the stock cat. If you have the stock cat, then it's not a TBE, just fyi. 50whp from a tune, TBE and raised boost is normal on IXs, but with the stock cat that's very good.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon View Post
I don't know where the extra 32whp came from just by doing fuel parts - those don't give power, they just allow you to make more power with other mods. Anyway, larry likes injectors and says it makes a bigger difference on cars with 91oct, but we've been making 350-400whp on stock injectors on both 8s and 9s for years without any issues. I have no problem going up to 90% IDC, but I try to avoid going beyond that. It's definitely not a first mod - it's at the very end of all the bolt-ons just before upgrading the turbo, imo.

PS. By definition, a TBE does not have the stock cat. If you have the stock cat, then it's not a TBE, just fyi. 50whp from a tune, TBE and raised boost is normal on IXs, but with the stock cat that's very good.
Wow, thanks for the info on the stock injectors. I never realized that you could take the stockies to those hp numbers. I remember that Vishnu used to go that route, but I think he changes injectors now. The only shops that Iím very familiar with are GST, Full Function, and EIP. All of the Norcal shops upgrade injectors with the fuel pump, so I itís all this is news to me.

Also, sorry for the confusion. Here's the reasoning behind my previous post.

As far as extra hp from fuel mods... I was getting inconsistant results beyond the initial 50hp gain. After upgrading the fp and injectors, I was able to safely and consistanty put down the extra hp. Maybe I just had a bad set of injectors stock... (I only put down ~220hp stock on the Mustang Dyno)

As far as the TBE goes... I got a tp with my turboback, but chose not to put it on. I simply used the term "TBE (Stock Cat)" because it's shorter than downpipe, midpipe, cat back... probably not technically correct
Old 01-24-2008, 10:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

Mid-pipe is part of the cat-back anyway. When you have the stock cat, you say DP and cat-back. TBE implies removal of the stock cat.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:27 AM   #12 (permalink)

do you think getting a testpipe or high flow cat or stock cat which one do you guys think is better pros and cons of all three and which boost controller do you think would be simple and gets the job done with out spending extra money that does need to me spent and does a BOV do anything but make nosie and is it a wast of time and money and do i really need it?????? and if I do what brand and how much and when I get a boost controller on stock injectors and fuel pump can I run 21 pounds of boost????
Old 01-25-2008, 08:31 AM   #13 (permalink)

I ran 21psi just fine with my down pipe and cat-back. I think that the best bang for your buck would be a turboback and a tune. You should get plenty of extra horsepower to play with outta that. The only reason that I don't go catless is that I want to save the planet
Old 01-25-2008, 09:07 AM   #14 (permalink)

cat less is just alittle bit more horses then high flow, both will more then likely fail the emissons test so keep the stock one for when you have to go and get that done. Def. take the stock on off, Y you ask turbos like no back pressure.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement