Down Pipe ? - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Bolt-On Power Mods
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Bolt-On Power Mods Intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2007, 05:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Down Pipe ?

Ok I was just woundering if anyone has had there DP rub the Oil pan or at sometime it well make a ticking sound or A slight thumping sound. I was just woundering B/C my DP well make A thumping sound sometimes just looking for some input if maybe I just have A bad DP
and if anyone knows of any that dont rub that would be grand thats a lot
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2007, 09:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

If your not going to post any Info Plz dont post
Old 12-10-2007, 12:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Anyways...
What brand of down pipe do you have? Are you sure it's hitting the oil pan or maybe the tie bars?
Have you tried repositioning it?
Loosen the downpipe at the cat/test pipe and at the O2 housing. Also loosen the cat or test pipe from the catback. You don't have to take any thing off, just loosen stuff so everything has some play. Position the downpipe as best as you can and start tightening it back to the O2 housing. Do not tighten one bolt way more than the other. Do two turns (at the most) on one side, then switch to the other. Draw the downpipe up evenly to the O2 housing and keep an eye on it's position. Once it's tight (37 +/- 4ft lbs.) then thighten the cat/testpipe to the downpipe, then the catback. Work yourway from the front of the exhaust to the back. Maybe that will help.
If it's hitting the tie bars, throw in a washer or two for some spacers.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have an XS engineering DP that hits the cross member or something. It makes a clunking/rhythmic noise prety often. I didn't put it on and haven't gotten arounf to trying to readjust it, but it's pretty annoying.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yea I know that its not the way the DP and cat-back are bolted on I have had it off A few times trying to fix the sound and every time I put it back on thats how I do it but I thank you for the Input. See it is strange the DP does not look like it would hit the sub-frame bars but maybe when the motors is getting some loud and makes the DP move just to the point that it taps the bars maybe Im goin to look at it today and will see how that goes. I know what you mean Hokiruu about the thing being annoying it makes me feel like my car is about to fall apart......
Old 12-13-2007, 11:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

What downpipe are you using? Did you buy it new or used? Are you using a test pipe?

If, and a I do say if, it's hitting the oil pan, it should be leaving some kind of marking on the part it's hitting. However, such a thing is far from usual unless this is something you fabbed yourself, bought a knockoff part, or had modified/built by someone that didn't measure correctly. It's more likely that it's hitting the lower brace. WHen you inspect it again, look there for evidence of repeated contact.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

i've got an Injen 3" DP that rattles against my front sway bar when I turn my car on/off. Do you think that yours might be doing the same thing? I'm hoping that when I get rid of my stock cat and go with a HFC, it will stop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement