exhaust to loud - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Bolt-On Power Mods
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Bolt-On Power Mods Intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2006, 11:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: SoCal
exhaust to loud

I have a buschur turbo back exhaust and I like it and all but I am thinking of getting a different muffler put on it because the buschur muffler don't have a silencer and its prity loud even with a performance cat on it. I got pulled over once and got it fixed, took it to c.h.p. and payed a $10.00 dollar fine. I just lend my brother the evo on the weekend and he got a ticket for exhaust and tint. I am geting tired of that so Ime taking off my tint or using a lighter tint. Also like I said bolting on a different muffler on the back with a 3" inlet and 4.5" outlet, It should not be to hard because busher uses clamps for his exhaust. My question is would it loose any performance. What do you guys think is it a good idea or not.

Here is the muffler or anything like it as long as its a 3" inlet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MakeTrack=true
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2006, 11:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Changing your muffler should be fine, but changing it to the one above still looks like a ticket getter to me.
You won't lose performance if you stick with a muffler with a perferated core. Stay away from louvered cores and baffeled chambers and you'll be alright. Magnaflow and Dynomax make very good generic mufflers with a three inch internal diameter. Maybe one of those and a three inch resonator (again with a perferated core) to bring the noise down a little more.
RRE can help you out or any muffler shop should be able to do this too.

Old 09-18-2006, 11:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

yeah i know it looks like a ticket getter but I figured I can put the silencer on and it would make less noise. But I will check out the mufflers you said.

Old 09-19-2006, 06:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: Midwest
I recently purchased the 3" tbe from buschur with a magna flow muffler and in my opinion it is not obnoxious. I have not had any run ins with the police yet and have "flown" by many. I dont know how strict they are out in cali but I would think the magna flow would be worth a shot, in my opinion.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

ive got the BR with HFC and magnaflow muffler, (also bolted to a GT28, but thats another story)
thats about as loud as i would feel comfortable driving around in CA.

my girlfriend was driving behind me we are getting on the freeway at a red light, making a right turn. i had just gotten my cams in and i wanted to feel them, so i gas it down the onramp. when we meet up again, she said she could easily hear every shift, eventhough she was at the corner still, behind the freeway sound wall things (the big 20 foot block walls to keep sound out from the freeway).

occasionally cops look over at me, but i usually give it like 20% throttle past them, as it makes the exhaust real quiet. ive got a exhaust leak or two to button up, but after that, it should quiet down a little more.

when i went to a meet i pulled up next to a friend that has a 30R with test pipe and greddy Ti, he said that it was loud. of course, his is deafening.

CA is really a tricky situation
Old 09-19-2006, 11:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

yeah cops are prity darn strict out here in california they will try to find anything to give you a ticket for, put it this way I went out of my house today to buy something down the street 2 miles away and to my luck a cop starts fallowing me, he didnt pull me over because I guess he had no reason to because I had my stock exhaust back on and my widows roled down. The cars we drive catch to much attention specialy with the after market wing, but o well we wanted an evo.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Isn't that a bunch of crap. I am completely baffled as to how an Evo with an exhaust will get pulled over by cops but the Harley Davidson squad can roll past my house every night reving and racing down the main roads around me.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

06 evors you are so right me and my friends have had talks like that because the harleys and some v 8 cars are really loud but for some reason get away with it thats so much bull sh#t.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
cul8rv8, a few things:

1) Our wing is not aftermarket.

2) What do you mean by saying you're changing to a "muffler with 3" inlet and 4.5" outlet"? What benefit is that going to give you? Unless it's like a stock muffler with lots of chambers, it's going to be just as loud. You CANNOT run with the silencer!! That restricts the exhaust _MORE_ than the stock exhaust. People have done before-and-after dynos with a 40whp loss when putting in the silencer. That is _not_ an option.

3) You can replace your muffler for the Buschur magnaflow, which isn't loud at all, especially with the HFC, or get something generic like turbolarry said. In fact, the BR magnaflow is pretty much a generic muffler that isn't loud or pretty.

Old 09-19-2006, 06:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

I know the wing is not after market but the the cops seem to think so theyve told me twice that it restricts the vision but I told them thats how they are sold in the dealership, sorry about typing that wrong. I know that puting a muffler like that would be just as loud but I figured I could use the silencer on the street or for daily driving since I dont street race it wouldnt matter if it lost power, I was just trying to avoid having to change the exhaust just to go to the track. I meant that the exhaust I was looking at is a 3" inlete in diameter and therefore same in size that I already have but the tip is 4.5".

How bad is the buschur magnaflow maybe that would be a good option, you see I am so tired of being hastled by cops and I drive normal, I try not to brake the law but they still try to stop me. I also thought about making a silencer for the buschur exhaust I have and would even be cheaper and less noticable because the buschur muffler looks almost stock nothing to fancy.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
If you really only like to have power on your Evo when you're at the track, then the silencer is fine, but I thought every Evo owner got the Evo because it was fast ALL THE TIME. If you want something that is only fast at the track, there are far better ways of doing it. The beauty of the Evo is that it's all the time and can just drive up to the track and whoop ass without changing anything. I applaud you for racing at the track instead of on the street, but I personally enjoy every single pony my engine puts out on a daily basis everywhere I go, but I never street race...

Old 09-19-2006, 08:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

I totaly agree with you I like it to have power all the time but to be honest with you I put my stock exhaust on my car and it runs prity good its stronger than many cars out there, and I would like to drive it without a silencer but I cant afford to keep geting tickets they said next time i get a ticket for exhaust its going to count as a moving violation which means a point will be deducted off my license. I n other word I dont know what way to get it quiet without loosing some performance. \

My friends want me to run this saturday on the track in fontana but the thing is I just converted my exhaust back to stock yesterday because I did not plan to run until october 21st but I kinda feel like runing but dont feel like puting my after market exhaust on, do you think I should run it without the buschur exhaust or its just a waste of time. If I do run I only plan on runing 21 psi on 91 octane just for the heck of it because I am planing to run again in october with all of my mods and 25 psi with 100 octane or higher.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:26 AM   #13 (permalink)

I have the BR exhaust with the magnaflow, its actually not much louder than stock, just has a little more growl when your on the throttle. As far as looks are concerned, you can hardly see the muffler, BR has a extension pipe with a polished tip that looks pretty close to stock with the exception of being 3in id.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:56 AM   #14 (permalink)

CUL8RV8 is a close friend of mine and i can vouch. His exhaust does sound loud. even with a stock exhaust his car should run high 12's in the quarter mile although the concern here really is daily driving. I talked to him about making a silencer to quiet down the exhaust a bit to avoid getting pulled over. Cops in california are probably worse than any other state so they'll find any reason to pull you over. For example i was driving my civic that i use for work. Nothing really special basically stock with some rims on it. At around 12 in the morning on the weekends i got pulled over only because he said i was driving by myself at 12 in the morn. I didn't know that was reason enough to pull me over? After he pulled me over, made sure i hadn't drank and was looking around the car looking for something to give me a ticket for.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:01 AM   #15 (permalink)

warrtalon we all know what you're saying about power losses and gains from a turbo car's exhaust restriction.

but not being from CA it is difficult to fathom the utter rediculousness of cops here. the only safe place to drive an evo in CA is on the track or up your driveway

its so easy for a cop to say, "i suspect you have a modified engine, i am going to send you to the state ref". then you either scramble to put it back to stock, or pay the huge fines for having any modified part on your car, or sell the car out of state. im sorry, but i'd rather drive with my boring magnaflow muffler, a restrictive HFC, and not make the last 20 hp my car can make, if that saves me from thousands in fines or selling my car.

like driving with a test pipe will get me another 5whp or so and drop my spool time a hundred rpm or something, but the ticket for no cat is $2000 on the first offense (aparently doubles on the second offense). just doesnt weigh out does it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement