Which FMIC?!?! - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Bolt-On Power Mods
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Bolt-On Power Mods Intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007, 11:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Which FMIC?!?!

My car is in the body shop (due to some dumbass) and i just found out my factory FMIC needs to be replaced. I am told that as long as the price doesnt exceed the cost of the factory piece that i can get whatever FMIC i want.

Warrtalon suggested the BR Deluxe FMIC. the BR part sounds like a solid option, although i would like something to where i wouldnt have to trim or cut the splash shield (which it says has to happen on the BR page).

I was just wondering if anyone else had used this kit, or had another kit to suggest.

Thanks ahead of time.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2007, 06:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: Mid Atlantic
Send a message via AIM to SicLanEvo
I think almost every aftermarket front mount you have to trim the splash shield or lose it. Oh well just do it! Nisei, AMS, Turbo XS and the list goes on, what fits your budget? I will sell you my OEM one if you want it's up to you.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
If your looking to drag race; bar and plate. Road racing and track; tube and fin.
Sheet metal endtanks do not flow as well as a good cast endtank.
The thing I hate most about the BR deluxe is that the inlet is on the back of the endtank and forces the charge air to make a 90* turn on its own. That's the worst thing for flow.
IMO, the best all around intercooler;
http://www.xs-engineering.com/xsstor...&idproduct=622
You don't have to trim the spash gaurd, but you do have to notch the bumper.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

I didn't know with the XS one you didn't have to trim the undertray. I took my tray off because i didn't feel like cutting it for my AMS FMIC. I might trim my udertray and put it back on next time I pull the bumper. The BR deluxe actually makes a 90 degree bend? That is kinda retarded IMO especially if your pushing more boost with a bigger turbo, Oh well that is why I don't have one I guess.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
The BR Deluxe is one of the best on the market and has been proven to make awesome power on tons of Evos. Don't let the design sway you into thinking otherwise.

Last edited by Warrtalon; 03-09-2007 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

If you are upgraded to that lever I guess it works, they have built some pretty quick cars. I wouldn't use it on my DD that wasn't heavily modded though.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicLanEvo View Post
If you are upgraded to that lever I guess it works, they have built some pretty quick cars. I wouldn't use it on my DD that wasn't heavily modded though.
I'm talking about normal, everyday Evos, not the big dogs. The big dogs use a much bigger one like the race core fmic, but the Deluxe is pretty normal. It's big, but it's good for the stock turbo when running big boost (alky or race gas), so I'm hoping to add one soon to help with heatsoak on the road course.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Reputation: Fourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpfulFourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolarry View Post
If your looking to drag race; bar and plate. Road racing and track; tube and fin.
Sheet metal endtanks do not flow as well as a good cast endtank.
The thing I hate most about the BR deluxe is that the inlet is on the back of the endtank and forces the charge air to make a 90* turn on its own. That's the worst thing for flow.
IMO, the best all around intercooler;
http://www.xs-engineering.com/xsstor...&idproduct=622
You don't have to trim the spash gaurd, but you do have to notch the bumper.
Buschur no longer sells that one due to the need for a non-standard lower IC pipe. They have a "conventianal" inlet on all their FMIC's now.

Also, Buschur has what they now call the "standard core" FMIC (same core size as the delux) that is mounted higher up to allow you to keep the stock splash shield. It is less expensive than the delux or race options as well.

Keith
Old 03-19-2007, 07:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: Southwest
I heard suggestions that you shouldn't upgrade the stock intercooler until you wanna go bigger turbo or more boost. I was just wondering if it would benefit those that live in hot places like Vegas and Phoenix where it ranges from 90*-100+* in the summer.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Knight View Post
I heard suggestions that you shouldn't upgrade the stock intercooler until you wanna go bigger turbo or more boost. I was just wondering if it would benefit those that live in hot places like Vegas and Phoenix where it ranges from 90*-100+* in the summer.
Yes, it's a benefit. If your somewhere hot and only have 91 octane, you need every thing you can to bring down those charge air temps.
People say all kinds of stuff. I've heard that compressor surge doesn't cause turbo failure.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:12 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Knight View Post
What you've heard is correct, but in your special circumstances, an FMIC would be more of a benefit.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: Southwest
Thanks guys, just making sure a vendor wasn't blowing smoke up my butt trying to sell me something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement