Fmic - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Bolt-On Power Mods
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Bolt-On Power Mods Intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2007, 08:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Fmic

I was browsing through the forums and read up on some of the older FMIC conversations, but was wondering what FMIC guys are recommending now, as it looks like Buschur has revamped the ic they sell now.

My mod list is in my profile, but for simplicities sake my power mods are 3in tbe, 2.5 ic pipes, evo 9 turbo, alkycontrol meth inj, aem ebc, 272 i/e cams, and a custom flash. It makes around 360/340 whp/tq now on the meth tune and 309/285 on 91 pump, although we got higher numbers when tuning I decided I wanted more power under the curve, and lost about 20whp (peak power when tuning was 384whp) but brought in lots of midrange power. For dyno reference, a stock 06 evo dynoed 225whp, and the same car with tbe, mbc, and tune made 278whp (91 oct).

I plan on either getting a 20g-lt/fp green, or the buschur gt35r kit when I get back from deployment (I'm in Fort Bliss, TX until Feb), so I want to get a fmic that is sized to work properly with a bigger turbo, as well as my 9 turbo at 28+psi in the meantime. My tuner says the stock ic is whats holding me back from making any more power at this time and that seems to make sense.

I'm considering the Buschur deluxe or standand FMIC, but can't really tell what the difference is besides the deluxe including a lower pipe (I have the speedsource lower ic pipe already so it would be nice to not have to buy something twice).

I also checked out the turbo xs, xs engineering (not xs power), and agp fmic, but other than price can't really differentiate between them. Some say bar and plate but the pictures show a ic with tube and fin.

I'm leaning towards the buschur GT35r kit since I have mostly buschur parts and they seem to make great power for the money, but if the turbo xs fmic works as well for $150 less, I see no reason to be a brand whore.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2007, 10:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

I would ask Johneb He has a great one, or ask Justdsm. But I would go with the AMS 3 or 4 like John

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

AMS its an awesome ic to say the least

Old 10-10-2007, 11:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evotuner04 View Post
AMS its an awesome ic to say the least
Agreed. It fits the IX rather well too!
Old 10-10-2007, 01:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Bar and plate for drag racing. Tube and fin for road and track. Cast endtanks flow better than sheet metal.
To me it the difference in the Buschur IC's appears to be in the inlet flow. The standard core appears to be a true side to side flow , but you're still asking the charge air to distribute itself up along the core. Not perfect, but it works.
The delux's inlet looks to be on the back of the endtank . Now you're asking your charge air to enter the endtank, hang a left, and go up the core??? That sucks for flow.
Since your upgarding the turbo you will be pushing more effecient boost (cooler) so flow will be a bigger concern over cooling.
I think Fourdoor said a while back that Bushur changed this design though. Double check.

Attached Images

Old 10-10-2007, 01:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Turbo XS uses a bar and plate/sheet metal endtanks.
XS Engineering uses a Griffin tube and fin core and cast metal endtanks.
I can't speak about AGP.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 06 EVO
Dynosheet: 645whp/555 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to JohnEB
AMS is a great core, also proven.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

When buying a FMIC look for cooling tubes and surface area- which means bigger is better BUT, lag will come into play But, when the 35R comes won't matter
Old 10-10-2007, 08:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APEX View Post
When buying a FMIC look for cooling tubes and surface area- which means bigger is better BUT, lag will come into play But, when the 35R comes won't matter
YES..when 35R comes nothing matters....not even life itself..it's that good
Old 10-11-2007, 07:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshsevo View Post
YES..when 35R comes nothing matters....not even life itself..it's that good
Keep rubbing it in our faces.... Josh you suck.....lol. Stinking Red EVO's
Just playing I want one.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 06 EVO
Dynosheet: 369whp/395 lb-ft
What about the ETS intercooler? They have a 3 in and 3.5 in core which I've heard good things about. They fit without any modification to the undertray and crash beam also.

I'm planning on the green also wondering if one of these would be good... and which size would be best suited for that turbo. No plans for meth, but probably will try some race gas at the track.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:03 PM   #12 (permalink)

Cool, thanks for the input.

I understand the different aspects of the intercoolers, I was more looking for first hand experience, since many of the vendors have uber vague descriptions. I crossed a few off my list as I didn't know the turbo xs had sheetmetal endtanks.

I think I'm going to go with the ams fmic, and the buschur 35r kit.

I like the streetability of my evo 9 turbo, but I rarely get to punch it since I am usually stuck in traffic and I don't think the fp green is going to to be enough of a difference in topend to necessitate the $ spent. If i was competitive in autocross or roadcourse it might be a different story but truth be told the evo is mostly a to/from work car with occasional trips to the 1/4 as I don't have much free time.

Thanks again.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Timeslip: 12.6 @ 113
Dynosheet: 490whp/468 lb-ft
if i had ix i will get AMS look so good on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement