Good upgrade path? - Page 2 - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Bolt-On Power Mods
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Bolt-On Power Mods Intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2007, 03:08 PM   #16 (permalink)

Warrtalon, earlier you stated that both Comp and GSC were good cams to get at a good price. Well, I was looking around and came across come some Brian Crower Stage 2 cams which are supposed to be comparable to 272s, they are about $350 which would be $100 cheaper than the GSC and Comp cams just wondering if those are any good or am I better off to pay the extra $100 and go with either GSC or Comp cams, just trying to save some money.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2007, 06:35 PM   #17 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
I have not seen any results from the Crower cams, and they are too new to show long-term reliability. The GSCs for sure are reliable and powerful, so that's what I would use. A lot of people like Comp, too, but I will not send you to them with confidence, because I less personal experience.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:50 PM   #18 (permalink)

In response to needing a different turbo in order to reach 400whp:
400whp is probably the most I will want to have, at least for a while. I plan on getting a bunch of parts here real soon, but before I do I want to make sure I am getting things that I need and nothing that I don't, so if I do need a new turbo then I would like to get one now and not get it later to avoid buying things like a 10.5 hotside for my current turbo, and also to avoid getting the car retuned. I want to get everything, get it tuned, and leave it alone for a while.

I don't really want to spend a whole lot on the turbo, the FP3065 looked appealing to me, but I don't really want to spend that much at the moment. I was wondering if a stock Evo IX turbo would be good enough for my 400whp, I have read good things, and bad things. But it would be cheaper, and if it helps get me my 400whp with stock-like spool time than that is all that I would really want.

Or also the Evo 8 20G, the Evo 6.5 with upgraded 20G wheel...

Old 04-10-2007, 11:41 PM   #19 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriseacrett View Post
I was wondering if a stock Evo IX turbo would be good enough for my 400whp, I have read good things, and bad things. But it would be cheaper, and if it helps get me my 400whp with stock-like spool time than that is all that I would really want.

Or also the Evo 8 20G, the Evo 6.5 with upgraded 20G wheel...
None of those turbos you mentioned are really good for 400. One of them might do it (there's probably a dyno sheet out there somewhere ) on one glory pull, tuned to the edge, on race fuel, with dyno corrected just right... maybe. I doubt it's on a regular consistant basis.
Our stock turbo is the closest we're going to get to the "Holy Grail Turbo;" good power and great spool. Any power to be made past this is going to have to sacrifice some spool. There's no way around it.
If you serious about that 400whp your going to have to drop some coin and if you only want to by one turbo; Check out the new issue of SCC for a write up on RRE's turbo kit, available with a GT3076 or BB 50 trim. Both are capable of making 400whp on 91 octane (that's everyday power ). Slowboy has a similar kit as well;
http://www.slowboyracing.com/more.php?id=5875&

Old 04-11-2007, 02:32 AM   #20 (permalink)

Reputation: Fourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpfulFourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You can pretty much have every mod known to man other than an upgraded turbo and get 400 wheel HP on race gas (not just a glory run) or you can upgrade the turbo and get the same HP level for much less money spent. I did the first option because I planned on the BIG turbo upgrade latter on, and the "every mod known to man" was my preperation work for the big turbo.

Stop rolling your eyes at me Larry, I have the dyno sheet posted on that other Evo board

Keith
Old 04-11-2007, 10:17 AM   #21 (permalink)

well i planned on having 400whp by the end of the summer, but i thought that i might be able to do it cheaper so i could have done it sooner, but since i can't still on for the end of the summer

in the meantime i guess i will stick with my original plan which should hopefully get me in the neighborhood of 350whp

i just need to make sure that i am up to par with my friend
he has a 99 eclipse gs with a hahn stage 2 or 3, he has got the 16g and fmic and is getting his engine built and bored at the moment so i just have to make sure that i can keep up with him, i guess he is will have about 350bhp when everything is done, but i would be at 350whp which would be closer to about 400bhp for me i would suppose...
Old 04-11-2007, 10:30 AM   #22 (permalink)

Don't even talk about BHP. Whatever he puts down to the wheels is all that matters. He has to build his engine just to be able to use the 16g at normal boost levels. Unless his 16g is as big as your stock 16g (very unlikely), then he will have a very hard time keeping up with YOU. The main difference is that he is probably 300lbs lighter due to being FWD.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:43 AM   #23 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourdoor View Post
Stop rolling your eyes at me Larry, I have the dyno sheet posted on that other Evo board

Keith
OK.
I guess it's just my own personal issues, biases, opinions, whatever, but I feel like this;
If you can't make that power every day and drive to work... what's the point. No one runs race gas everyday. If they can, more power to 'em.
It's like getting into a fight and telling the other dude, "Hold on, I have to go home and get my brass knuckles."

PS
chriseacrett,
Tell your friend to sell it and get a GSX.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:51 AM   #24 (permalink)

Not race gas daily, but alky/meth daily, and you can make 400whp on the stock turbo with alky/meth.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:36 AM   #25 (permalink)

Reputation: Fourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpfulFourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolarry View Post
OK.
I guess it's just my own personal issues, biases, opinions, whatever, but I feel like this;
If you can't make that power every day and drive to work... what's the point. No one runs race gas everyday. If they can, more power to 'em.
It's like getting into a fight and telling the other dude, "Hold on, I have to go home and get my brass knuckles."

PS
chriseacrett,
Tell your friend to sell it and get a GSX.
Nope, can't run race gas every day, but that 435 wheel HP run was done on 105 octane unleaded, and E-85 is at least that good, probably better from a performance standpoint.... and I CAN run that every day Now you poor bastiges in California the "environmental" state can't get clean burning renewable fuel.... but the rest of the country either has it, or is on track to get it soon

Keith
Old 04-12-2007, 11:22 AM   #26 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourdoor View Post
Nope, can't run race gas every day, but that 435 wheel HP run was done on 105 octane unleaded, and E-85 is at least that good, probably better from a performance standpoint.... and I CAN run that every day Now you poor bastiges in California the "environmental" state can't get clean burning renewable fuel.... but the rest of the country either has it, or is on track to get it soon

Keith
Knowing that you can do that everyday on E-85... I take my hat off to you sir. I am jealous.
It's not fair damn it.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:36 AM   #27 (permalink)

nor cal has e85
and rre does two map tunes to run e85 or 91
even if it is a pain in the ass to completely drain out 91 to switch back to e85
worst case you run out of e85 somewhere u can mix the residual e85 with fresh 91
the run on 91 map
or u could run n20....
but everyone is scared of nitrous right?
just be careful not to run lean and nitrous is fine
it doesnt kill motors... bad a/f kills motors
Old 04-19-2009, 09:46 AM   #28 (permalink)

I heard that Borg Warner turbos were a really good choice because they make more power than a GT35R with a faster spool-up and they also bolt right up to the stock manifold. Is that true?
Old 05-15-2009, 06:31 PM   #29 (permalink)

Or a FP Red, with the supporting mods. 400 WHP easy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement