GSC 272 cams and drivability - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Bolt-On Power Mods
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Bolt-On Power Mods Intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2008, 03:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

GSC 272 cams and drivability

Just wondering if this is normal. Ever since I got these installed I've had to drive the car differently. Going from a stop I noticed I need to give it more gas to get it going or else car will stall. Also if I need to inch forward in traffic and let off gas immediatly the rpm will dip down real low almost to the point of stalling but it catches back up. So all this should be normal for a cammed Evo right?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2008, 03:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Up the idle up, and get tunned for it.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Oh its tuned and idling at 1000 rpm. Should I bump up the rpm with the screw at the throttle body?

Old 02-11-2008, 04:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

If its tunned then it should be fine,
I am no Expert at that, but u might Wanna try and give it a little more air.

I dont know tho, I am taking a stab in the dark at that one, From what I understand 272 Cams will Idle rought, and idle 1000RPMs and a little more, so I doont know for sure.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

I was driving in traffic today and boy the car is frustrating to drive in traffic. Just moving a few feet with little gas and the car doesn't even take off smoothly. Applying gas to move a few feet and let off then shift to neutral the car will stall sometimes. Sometimes it will feel jerky especially when slowing down without applying the brakes. Weird how all this happened after getting 272 cams installed. Emailed my tuner and still waiting on response. Sorry for venting. Just needed to let out the frustration with this car.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

LOL... Yeah sometimes I have to do that as well...Bu yeah It sounds weird but from what I have read and stummbled apon, with 272s it will make DD a little bit harder, but it shouldnt be as much as ur claiming it to be.

I shall see what its like when I get my 272 Intake one in this weekend, cuz I have one Exhaust one in now.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

If it's tuned right, it should idle like stock and drive like stock. May I ask who tuned it?
Old 02-13-2008, 07:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

Wicked the car will not idle or drive like stock with the GSC 272's. I've had them on my car for two years now and I've had AMS and JustDSM work on my tune. They don't have the vacuum at stock idle to keep the motor from stumbling. You have to bring the idle up to around 1200-1250. Also you'll have to modify your driving habits in stop-n-go traffic as the OP has already noticed. Whenever I make a short roll and back to neutral I blip the throttle to keep the motor from stumbling/stalling.

03Silvaevo what you are describing is pretty normal for the cams you have. Have your ECU tuner bring the idle up a bit and adjust your driving habits to compensate for the lack of vacuum and you'll be fine.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolvd View Post
Wicked the car will not idle or drive like stock with the GSC 272's. I've had them on my car for two years now and I've had AMS and JustDSM work on my tune. They don't have the vacuum at stock idle to keep the motor from stumbling. You have to bring the idle up to around 1200-1250. Also you'll have to modify your driving habits in stop-n-go traffic as the OP has already noticed. Whenever I make a short roll and back to neutral I blip the throttle to keep the motor from stumbling/stalling.

03Silvaevo what you are describing is pretty normal for the cams you have. Have your ECU tuner bring the idle up a bit and adjust your driving habits to compensate for the lack of vacuum and you'll be fine.
I apologize... I didn't compensate for the already low vacuum at this elevation... Is what you're experiencing with the GSC's also true for the Cosworth 272's (M2)?

I guess I've been reading more about lower elevation people (without paying attention to location) having better results with idle and such.

Thanks for your feedback and input... Makes total sense...
Old 02-13-2008, 04:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Cosworth M2's (EVO IX) have no issues maintaining a very solid idle at our altitude 6000ft ASL. I'm able to pull about 11in/Hg during warm idle (900rpm)
Old 02-13-2008, 05:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

Could I just raise the idle with the screw on the throttle body or let the tuner do it through laptop? idling at 1000 rpm now but sometimes it will go to like 900-950(Normal I guess).
Old 02-13-2008, 06:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03silvaevo View Post
Could I just raise the idle with the screw on the throttle body or let the tuner do it through laptop? idling at 1000 rpm now but sometimes it will go to like 900-950(Normal I guess).
Have your tuner do it. Do you have ECUFlash? I can help you do it... It's under idle drive and idle neutral.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

If you do it with the screw you dont just give it more air, and no fule, you need to give it some fule as well. so Tunner
Old 02-13-2008, 08:55 PM   #14 (permalink)

I did fail to mention that my car is also heavily modified...however I digress. Before my turbo and head work I was running the GSC 272's (at Sea Level) and they would hold idle just fine at 950-1000 but if I tried running the A/C it would cause stumbling issues. Also I learned to blip the throttle when doing stop-n-go maneuvers.

Don't think this will help you much. Your tuner might be able to tweak it a bit to get some smoother running.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:30 AM   #15 (permalink)

I've went from the stock cams to the gsc 272s about a year ago and I haven't experienced anything like what your saying, I'm thinking maybe the tuning isn't optimal. Although the car behaved a little different down low I still had no problems dd or in stop in go traffic and still had plenty of low down torque. As far as mods I'm currently pushing 350whp on 91 pump and a tad over 400whp on methanol, and my car drives damn near like stock w/ the exception of the exedy clutch now. I know when we tuned mine we tried a couple things, but ended up richening it up quite a bit at low rpm and had it "load" at idle which yielded the best idle and stop and go drivability. I had a much harder time adjusting to the exedy twin disc clutch and flywheel and it was a much more dramatic change in driving feel than the cams, so I'm thinking either something isn't properly installed or you need to try retuning for the cams on your low throttle lower range rpms. I didn't catch what your using to tune but if you have the tactrix cable or access to one and I assume your running similiar mods as me (tbe, intake, cams) I can send you a my pump gas rom if you want to try to copy and past the lower rpm map into your rom file to see if it helps your issue (create a copy of yours just to modify and keep the original to reload in case it doesn't work out).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement