gt35r turbo or 20g?? - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Bolt-On Power Mods
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Bolt-On Power Mods Intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2006, 06:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

gt35r turbo or 20g??

hey guys thanks for all the info u guys gave me on my last thread... but my question now is if i get a 20g would it be a good way to go to get decent power gains to get mid 11's on tha track cuz alot of people have said that they have a 20g and that it works fine but something about that they dnt perform as good on daily drivin cars as much.... and if so what turbo would be the best application for my needs i would like a turbo that gives me power but it would also spool up farely quickly like at around 3200 to 3800 rpm or if u guys know a turbo that would spool quicker then that bvut would still give me decent power gains!!!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2006, 11:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Everybody want the Holy Grail of turbos, but it doesn't exist. If it makes power it doesn't spool fast. There's just no way around it.
Right now (my $.02) the best turbos for our 2.0's (and 91 ocatane ) is a BB 50 trim or a GT30.

Old 12-30-2006, 07:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: SoCal
Turbo larry is right on that and those are good turbos, but if you are so worried about spool up and stock like behavior then just stay with the stock turbo and get alky- injection, ported stock manifold, and upgraded 02 housing and go from there.

If you absolutely have to upgrade your turbo get an evo 9 turbo they have a biger hotside and flow better.

Old 12-30-2006, 10:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Bigger hotside and compressor housing.

Old 12-31-2006, 08:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

okay the gt30 or the 50 trimm bb what rpm would those turbos spool at??.....cuz what i really want is a turbo suited tfor quarter mile u know i would like a turbo that gives me power for quarter mile...... would the gt30 be the best bet??? for what i want and how about the gt2835r??
Old 01-01-2007, 12:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

If you want a drag turbo, then you shouldn't be asking about spool. To have a monster drag car, you sacrifice spool and go for all top-end power. A great turbo for that is a GT35R from Buschur. Fourdoor, another moderator on here, has that exact kit...

Old 01-01-2007, 09:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

Reputation: Fourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpfulFourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpful
The best way to describe a 4g63 with a big turbo like the GT35R is that it acts just like a very high strung naturally asperated large displacement engine. There is no "turbo hit" like you get from a small turbo, and as long as you are above the spool threshold there is zero turbo lag. Above 4000 RPM if you hit the go pedal you have instant power, if you hit the go pedal from 2000 RPM you have a slow linear build in power just like you would get from a high strung naturally aperated engine.

Keith
Old 01-28-2007, 07:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

4door just made me want a 35r hah =) I almost spun out in my evo because of the turbo "hit" the other week......got the tail end sideways and overcompensated and went sideways the other way.......thx snap oversteer!
Old 01-28-2007, 08:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

Same thing almost happened to me yesterday (snap oversteer), but I avoided it by STAYING ON THE GAS. If you let off, all that weight transfers from the rear to front (or in the opposite direction of the rear end kick), thus whipping the car around. Had I done that, I would have been in trouble, since I was entering a 3-lane-wide 55mph zone with oncoming traffic. Anyway, the reason it happened must be because of my Blizzaks. For one, they obviously don't behave like my summer tires on dry pavement, the pavement was dirty/dusty from all the snow cleanup remnants, and they are pretty low tread anyway. I'm used to getting on the gas before being out of the turn, but this time it was almost disastrous. Even at this altitude my nasty torque spike almost got me. I'll know better next time.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Reputation: Fourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpfulFourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Blizzaks ROCK.... in a strait line The soft tread compound and deep tread pattern make lateral acceleration "squirrly" at best. Makeing rapid lane changes to pass someone can be an adventure!

Keith
Old 12-10-2007, 03:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: Tri State
Question gt-35 turbo kit only 400whp????

Need some answers Is this normal gt-35 turbo kit 1050 inj 24psi 400whp ?
Old 12-10-2007, 04:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

depends on what kit and the tune I would think. I made 445 hp with my ETS 35R on 21 lbs.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: Tri State
I got gt-35, cast ss headers, cast ss o2 hausng, 44 mm tail. perrin intercooler and custom piping,255 pump, 3 in injen intake,3 in full invidia exhoast,1050 injectors,dyno jet tune 401 who 333 lb-ft,24 psi(1,6 bar)
Old 12-11-2007, 10:34 PM   #14 (permalink)

cams would help your setup a lot.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:10 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon View Post
Same thing almost happened to me yesterday (snap oversteer), but I avoided it by STAYING ON THE GAS. If you let off, all that weight transfers from the rear to front (or in the opposite direction of the rear end kick), thus whipping the car around. Had I done that, I would have been in trouble, since I was entering a 3-lane-wide 55mph zone with oncoming traffic. Anyway, the reason it happened must be because of my Blizzaks. For one, they obviously don't behave like my summer tires on dry pavement, the pavement was dirty/dusty from all the snow cleanup remnants, and they are pretty low tread anyway. I'm used to getting on the gas before being out of the turn, but this time it was almost disastrous. Even at this altitude my nasty torque spike almost got me. I'll know better next time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_evo_209 View Post
okay the gt30 or the 50 trimm bb what rpm would those turbos spool at??.....cuz what i really want is a turbo suited tfor quarter mile u know i would like a turbo that gives me power for quarter mile...... would the gt30 be the best bet??? for what i want and how about the gt2835r??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon View Post
If you want a drag turbo, then you shouldn't be asking about spool. To have a monster drag car, you sacrifice spool and go for all top-end power. A great turbo for that is a GT35R from Buschur. Fourdoor, another moderator on here, has that exact kit...
Fellahs, it's been awhile since I've been on the forum...Iraq deployment standing in the way. I'll be leaving this place in about three days and I can't wait to get back to the states. I've read through this thread and there are a few things/concerns I want to share with you all. First off, Warrtalon, which set-up are you running right now? I can vaguely remember the BR 20G-LT being a possible candidate. Secondly, sho_evo_209, from what I've read in various forums, the .50 Trim has been considered the compromise between a strong street/drag set-up and as some of you already know, there have been some impressive numbers posted, especially when alky/meth is added to the equation. Lastly, I, too am at the crossroads in my set-up now that I have some of Uncle Sam's money to throw around. I was intent of going with the 20G-LT with all the fixings (cams, meth, licp, etc., etc.). But a few days ago, it dawned on me that I have an RNR .50 Trim (non ball bearing) turbo sitting in my garage. Going with the 20G-LT, it carries a $1900 price tag. The parts I still need for the non ball bearing .50 Trim is a 38mm wastegate and a T3/T4 exhaust manifold, not to include the various hoses that will run somewhere around $1200. I've read that spool characteristics for a ball bearing .50 Trim is roughly 3700-3800 RPM. I've been told a while back that I can expect a spool difference of about 200-300 RPM with the non ball bearing. Is there any truth to this? I'm fairly certain that I can make more power with the non ball bearing over the 20G-LT although I have nothing to confirm this. I plan on going to the track occassionally but for the most part, I spend the majority of my time on the street. I've been in contact with KevinD (some of you I'm sure now who he is) for the tuning aspect of things. If anyone needs to see a few pictures of the non ball bearing .50 Trim, just let me know. I know that I've said a lot and I welcome any and all feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement