Injen Intake - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Bolt-On Power Mods
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Bolt-On Power Mods Intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2007, 04:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Injen Intake

Hey everyone I just ordered a Injen Cold Air Intake w/Upper & Lower IC pipes does anyone know if this kit is any good???
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2007, 05:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
It's ok, but not worth the money unless you're getting it for bling purposes. The intake will require you to get a tune, so don't put it on until you're ready to get tuned. The UICP follows the stock routing, so it doesn't help much with performance. The LICP is not much of a power mod, but it is a good mod for improving spoolup. The most important mods on a IX are an exhaust, MBC, and flash - all 3 are far more valuable than intake/pipes, and 2 of the 3 cost way less.

It's best to ask these questions BEFORE purchasing rather than after.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

I installed this setup on a IX mr already. The kit fits and looks just fine For the life of me, I can't remember if the car I did this for did or did not have a mini battery. Either way though, you will get a little better spoolup and minimal horsepower gains on this by itself without supporting mods and a tune. It's a good start.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

It does fit with the stock battery, but that's partly why it is not useful. Following the stock IC routing defeats the purpose of having an aftermarket UICP. The benefit of having all hard pipes vs silicone sections is minimal. The best benefit comes when the UICP is as straight as possible.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

I was actually thinking about getting that kit later on along with a tune, but I think I'm gonna go Buschur. Hey Warr, does the Buschur upper pipe go along with stock location of the bov and intake, or does all that change too?
Old 07-03-2007, 10:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

The Buschur upper IC Pipe is "short routed" and requires the use of a mini-battery kit. It's one of the shortest and straightest upper IC pipes.

When you call Buschur to order it, discuss with them what BOV/Intake you're using so they can set the pipe up for your setup.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

So do you suggest just doing upper/lower ic pipes and maf pipe at the same time, along with one of your tunes?
Old 07-03-2007, 04:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

The intercooler piping alone is not going to require a retune. The intake portion will. However, if you're looking to get a tune you can install them all and drive to get tuned. But I'd suggest you stay out of boost during that drive.

Tuning with all the parts your currently have is obviously the best way to do it.. That way I can squeeze out the most with what you've got on the car at the time.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

JustDSM, what would you suggest doing because i know I'll probably end up getting a maf pipe and filter after i get my turboback. Should just do a better upper/lower ic and intake and your tune all at the same time?(I want the power and i do want the bling, I love your black piping) would that be wise, I'm not really made of money so it will take me a little while do save for all that after i get my exhaust.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

gsrEVOix, I'm not trying to be mean, but why are you so stuck on IC pipes? They are VERY low on the totem pole of useful mods. They are most useful with a big turbo upgrade, but not very useful on the stock turbo. The MAF pipe also is not an important mod. What you need with your TBE is an MBC, boost gauge, and a custom flash. That's only $300-350 on top of your TBE for another 40-50whp. The intake, maf pipe, and IC pipes will cost a good bit more than that by themselves and make 10whp or less...

Old 07-06-2007, 04:21 PM   #11 (permalink)

Like I stated above I want them for performance AND looks, is it bad that i want my evo to look good? And in Buschur's staged upgrades for the IX intake is in stage 1 and i/c pipes are in stage 2. And i dont see you giving JustDSM shit for have an upgraded i/c pipnig and front mount. And its not like i'm doing that stuff first, i plan on getting turboback and other "useful" mods first.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:35 PM   #12 (permalink)

The difference is the Buschur parts are made to improve performance whereas the Injen ones are mainly for having shiny pipes. Justin's are black - they are not for bling, and his FMIC is a very good mod - not sure why you mentioned that. I don't think he needs the IC pipes, but like I said, he got black, and he also knows exactly what he's doing. He's already put an Evo into the 11s at this altitude and knows how to put one together. It's ok if you care more about looks than performance, but I was just asking why you are stuck on those instead of much more useful and powerful mods.

You also said you are not made of money, so if you're limited in funds, why not get the mods that help the most? You didn't indicate doing anything other than the TBE and said that you have limited funds, so that is different from your most recent comment about doing OTHER mods first.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

Yes I did say that i wanted this kit but that was until i read that they are of no importance(fallowing the same path). When i get i/c piping i will make sure to get ones that will help improve flow. Andi know that JustDSMs piping is black, but why wouldn't black look good, i think its awsome! And what i meant by not made of money is just that its gonna take a little longer to get parts then most people. But i am going to get important mods first especially a tune, but goal for now is like 330awhp then start with the exterior mods like front lip ect. But i will be taking a lot of your advice for first mods though!
Old 07-06-2007, 08:42 PM   #14 (permalink)

I do agree that black looks good, but that mainly hides them as opposed to blinding people like the normal polished pipes. I want black IC pipes when I eventually get them but that's so that they are not seen.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 06 EVO
Dynosheet: 645whp/555 lb-ft
Send a message via AIM to JohnEB
I had the injen intake and ic piping.... it was nothing but a pita (came off the car within 2 days), if someone gave it to me for free I would honestly burn it. IMO spend your money on mods that matter and go with companys that are proven with the EVO such as AMS, Buschur ect.... once again just my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement