just installed ported +coated exh. manifold. Car sounds different? - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Bolt-On Power Mods
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Bolt-On Power Mods Intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2008, 06:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

just installed ported +coated exh. manifold. Car sounds different?

I just got done installing my Ported and Coated stock Exhaust manifold that i got done at bushur racing. everything is tight and good. but the exhaust has a rumble to it now that I have installed it. I had a megan manifold but i cracked on me. Is this normal. Ohh and WOW I attempted to do the O2 housing also and gave up Is there an easier way to change out the O2 housing without removeing the entire turbo?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2008, 07:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

There are a few ways to do this. If you are set on NOT removing the manifold you can split the turbo in half on the car by removing the hotside with the 02 housing attached and then do the 02 housing on a bench. I was going to do this but I decided to take the manifold off instead.

Tools needed:
12mm socket & open wrench
14mm socket & open wrench (It’s nice if you have a ratcheting 14mm wrench also)
17mm socket & open wrench
22mm open wrench (02 Sensor)
Different size extensions
Swivel sockets or a universal
Philips head screw driver
Breaker Bar
Drop light
Telescopic Magnet really helps to not lose the washers during the manifold removal
WD40, PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench…Pick one

Remove the plastic undertray first. These little screw clips can be a real pain in the a**. A philips head screw driver with a dexterity works, but a screw gun works better.

Downpipe Removal:
If you have an extra jack stand, set it up under the catback section so its not just hanging after you remove the downpipe. Disconnect the DP from your cat/testpipe and remove the two 12mm screws from the exhaust hangers holding it up. Now disconnect the two 17mm spring bolts connecting the downpipe to the 02 housing. The down pipe will be free now being held up by the two lower arm bars. Tale off the lower arm bars and remove the downpipe. Before you proceed, make sure you remove the bracket holding the factory 02 Housing to the motor.

Remove the flex section of the lower intercooler hose. This will allow you a little more room to work. I also removed the inlet pipe off the turbo. Just be carefull when putting it back together. The one screw is a little tough to get started. You don’t want to cross thread it
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...einstalled.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...inlet_pipe.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...pe_removed.jpg

Manifold Removal:
Make sure you soak these nuts and bolts. Remove the heat shield. Remove the 9 nuts holding the manifold to the head. (the 2 outers are 14mm, the 7 inners are 12mm) Remove the 2 nuts and 2 studs (14mm) from the manifold to the turbo. Now your downpipe is off and the manifold is disconnected from the head. Now push down on the turbo a little bit and wiggle the manifold off.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...manifold_1.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...manifold_2.jpg

02 Housing Removal: Now that you have more room to work. Take out your 02 sensor from the 02 Housing. Remove the lower heat shield. The top three studs you can get from the top pretty easily. The bottom two are nuts though. You will have to get to these from under the car.
Now go ahead and reinstall in the reverse order. Be careful when putting the inlet pipe back on the turbo. Mine wasn’t on tight enough and produced a huge boost leak. Try to tighten each side equally to avoid boost leaks.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

I would much rather use this How to:

How to replace O2 housing (pics) - evolutionm.net

Much easier and prevents you from busting up your radiator...

Cheers-
Erich

Old 03-19-2008, 06:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Those are very helpful. any idea on the matter of my exhaust sounding different and a little girgle to it now. dont get me wrong it sounds good just wanna make sure its normal.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

FYI, "girgle" sound is exhaust leak...
Old 03-20-2008, 09:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

ok well i checked everything and its all tight. guess ill look again? Thanks
Old 03-20-2008, 08:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Cant find an exhaust leak.. the new exhaust is coming from the exhaust like normal. I dont know any ideas. its a ported and couted oem manifold that made the change in tone.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

Do you have cams? Please list all your mods.
Thanks this will help. It could be just a deeper sound you are hearing, becasue of the full open Exhaust. So list everythind profermance wise that way we can help.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 06 EVO
Dynosheet: 329whp/305 lb-ft
Club Region: Midwest
I just had my o2 housing and dp installed and now I have the same sound.

My bet is on an exhaust leak. I watched the shop tighten the spring bolts on the dp, he tightened one side all the way then the other side. I've read that you should tighten them together, maybe that caused the donut gasket not to seal properly? Either way I'm picking up a new gasket at the dealership and will take the dp off and re-install. See if that helps.

By the way, they snapped the top bolt on the o2 housing.....took 10 hours for them to get the job done and more money than I should have paid them. If I had to decide again wether to install myself or have a shop install it with a two hour quote (yeah right), I would do neither and sell it.

Dennis
Old 04-07-2008, 12:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have basic bolt-ons including intake, intercooler pipes, AMS front mount, PORTED+ COATED stock manifold, Turbo back exhaust, and a bunch more. I didnt have cams at the time but i do now. Ill check out the gasket on the DP and manifold. probly the DP gasket. Thanks guys.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

It's the cams making the difference in sound. Which cams do you have? Depending on the profile, you probably have a good lope going (i know i do).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement