Just received my BR TBE - couple of questions - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Bolt-On Power Mods
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Bolt-On Power Mods Intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2007, 06:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Just received my BR TBE - couple of questions

Got home this evening to find the UPS man had left a nice gift for me: the Warrtalon package I ordered had arrived!

Checked everything out, and there didn't appear to be any damage, but I did have a few questions on the exhaust:

First, is it common to have handwriting on the exhaust pipes? I ask because the downpipe has writing on it saying "Evo8DP", and the test pipe has "Evo8CatBack". Heck one of the other pieces even has something on it about a WRX! My thoughts are that these parts are universal (save for maybe the one with the words WRX written on it, which I would assume is just a mistake), but I just wanted to be sure.

My second question - is it normal for the pipes to be so dirty/greasy on the inside? I seem to remember reading a post some time ago on EvoM about a guy who got his order in and the pipes were filthy, and he ended up having to clean them out before installing them. I don't really care if I do have to clean them - I'm fanatical about keeping the car clean anyway - but is there something in particular I should use or avoid, or does it not matter at all?

Anyway, looking forward to getting the various bits and pieces I've collected over the winter onto the car and then getting my custom tune from DynoFlash!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2007, 06:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
The Buschur exhaust parts fit VIIIs and IXs the same, so I'm guessing the writing was for their own warehousing efforts, but I'm not sure. I don't recall mine having the same writing, but they did have a greasy film. Again, not sure what that was from, but it wasn't an issue.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks!

I was pretty sure the VIII and IX exhausts were mostly interchangeable, but I thought I had read somewhere that there was some clearance issues with one of the pipes between the two.

Good to know that there's nothing to worry about.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geese1 View Post
I was pretty sure the VIII and IX exhausts were mostly interchangeable, but I thought I had read somewhere that there was some clearance issues with one of the pipes between the two.
On other exhausts, yes, but the BR TBE comes with some nice hardware spacers for the tie bars that helps to give you plenty of space everywhere.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon View Post
On other exhausts, yes, but the BR TBE comes with some nice hardware spacers for the tie bars that helps to give you plenty of space everywhere.
Thank-you for the clarification. As I said, I'm looking forward to seeing the results once all the parts are on and the car is tuned.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

Reputation: Fourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpfulFourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon View Post
The Buschur exhaust parts fit VIIIs and IXs the same, so I'm guessing the writing was for their own warehousing efforts, but I'm not sure. I don't recall mine having the same writing, but they did have a greasy film. Again, not sure what that was from, but it wasn't an issue.
The oil film is due to the mandrel bending process. When a pipe is being bent using a mandrel bender, the mandrel (part that goes inside the pipe to prevent colapse during the bend) has to be able to slide through the pipe as the bend is being made, and is lubricated to help it slide. That is where the oil film comes from. There is no need to clean it out, it will burn off over time from the exhaust temperatures.

This is why new exhaust systems smoke for a short time after instalation.... the oil is buring off.

Keith
Old 03-23-2007, 04:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

I can see cleaning the outside of the pipes to make them look good (if that is your thing), but you will soon have a lot of other things inside the exhaust pipe than just a little oil film.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourdoor View Post
The oil film is due to the mandrel bending process. When a pipe is being bent using a mandrel bender, the mandrel (part that goes inside the pipe to prevent colapse during the bend) has to be able to slide through the pipe as the bend is being made, and is lubricated to help it slide. That is where the oil film comes from. There is no need to clean it out, it will burn off over time from the exhaust temperatures.

This is why new exhaust systems smoke for a short time after instalation.... the oil is buring off.

Keith
Good info, thanks!
Old 03-23-2007, 06:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

Buschur is ramping up their wrx parts production, so they are probably labeling the parts to prevent mix ups.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Reputation: Fourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpfulFourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I have driven Dave's WRX last time I was at the shop, and it was very impressive! The low end torque of a small turbo mated up to a 2.5 liter motor is pretty nice.

The best thing about it though, was how GOOD the exhaust sounded! Using the same bullet muffler that is obnoxiously loud on the EVO and it sounded better than any exhaust I have heard on an EVO.... that thing just sounds sick!

Keith
Old 03-23-2007, 02:07 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourdoor View Post

Keith
Exactly what I was going to say. I bet the part that says Wrx on it probably just a test pipe. Let us know how you like it.
I really like the new Wrx's and Sti's they are amazing machines, but I just don't think they are going to make power like the Evo's can, but maybe I don't know what they've done. My friend has an 04 Sti making around 500 whp on a T67 and it was a pain.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

I had called and spoke with Nick this afternoon about the labeling, and he said it was just something they had been doing in the office. He didn't go into any detail (and I didn't push for an answer), but he assured me the part was the correct one for the car.

Just have to wait until I get the state inspection done before putting it on. While it's only a visual test, I'd prefer to get a full year out of the exhaust before I have to start swapping parts just to pass the inspection...
Old 03-24-2007, 07:46 AM   #13 (permalink)

We have a 4 year inspection on new cars, I have another 3 1/2 years to go hehe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement