k&n drop in or buschur air filter kit?? - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Bolt-On Power Mods
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Bolt-On Power Mods Intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2007, 04:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

k&n drop in or buschur air filter kit??

K&N drop in filter is about the same price as the Buschur racing evolution air filter kit $80. what would you get and are there any cons?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2007, 05:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

K&N drops in and you don't have to get tuned. The buschur piece replaces the whole stock air box and you'll have to get tuned for that. Both have their advantages/disadvantages.

Jared
Old 04-18-2007, 05:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've been thinking about picking one of these up before my tune in late May. I decided that if I do get one, I'm going to go for the Buschur filter. It's supposed to give slightly better gains over the K&N, and I can build on it later down the line by adding the piping for the full intake.

By the way, you can get the K&N from Amazon for under $55, and you get free shipping as well, so take that into consideration:

Direct link for the filter on Amazon

As I said though, I'd personally still go for the Buschur one for it's slightly better power gains and easy upgradibility down the line. Plus, not having to deal with re-oiling the filter is a big positive as well.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm not sure about the whole myth of K&N filters screwing up your MAF but it was enough to sway me towards buschurs filter solution.

Jared
Old 04-18-2007, 06:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Geese if you want a K&N I will sell you mine, it only has about 2k miles on it. I have recently purchase the Buschur's to go with my new Intercooler Piping.

I can let it go for $45.00 shipped. PM me if you want it.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06evors View Post
I'm not sure about the whole myth of K&N filters screwing up your MAF but it was enough to sway me towards buschurs filter solution.

Jared
There's not a myth - you're just confused between the two K&N products: the drop-in filter and the Typhoon. The drop-in is no problem other than you have to be sure it doesn't drop oil down onto the MAF. The Typhoon is the worst possible intake you can use on the Evo along with the Ebay Blue Intake of Death. The cone filter on the Typhoon is not a problem really, but the MAF pipe is horrid.

With any open-air intake, you need a retune.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

tuning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon View Post
There's not a myth - you're just confused between the two K&N products: the drop-in filter and the Typhoon. The drop-in is no problem other than you have to be sure it doesn't drop oil down onto the MAF. The Typhoon is the worst possible intake you can use on the Evo along with the Ebay Blue Intake of Death. The cone filter on the Typhoon is not a problem really, but the MAF pipe is horrid.

With any open-air intake, you need a retune.
basically you need a tune with every above average upgrade? I heard a rumor that you could reset your ecu or settings if you just unplug your battery. How much would a tune cost and could or should I wait to tune it after a few mods? let me know. Thanks
Old 04-18-2007, 09:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

I don't know what an "above average upgrade is," but no, you don't have to tune for everything. You have tune for things that significant affect air/fuel and boost. An open-air filter has a drastic effect on airflow volume and how the air behaves when entering the MAF. This is why an intake requires a tune.

There's no rumor about resetting your ECU. You can unplug the negative terminal for a few mins, then reconnect it, and the ECU resets. This doesn't really do anything related to this topic.

A tune will cost anywhere from $50-750, depending on the tuner and type of tune.

You should wait to tune after a few mods only if you plan to do those mods in a short timespan. Otherwise, you should get tuned right away - it's the most important mod.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

dynoflash is 232 for an 8 or 300 for a IX
Old 04-18-2007, 10:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

Dynoflash is $200 for any Evo when doing a mail-in flash. The $32 is for shipping, I guess.

He also does e-flashes for $50 if you use EcuFlash - he was the first tuner to offer them.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

didnt see that on the site. ill have to email him. i got a buschur cone filter and need a little reflash action. hesitation in 2nd and 3rd gear ftl.

i took it off till i can get it tuned.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:32 AM   #12 (permalink)

The only thing I don't like about my buschur intake is its freaking loud when winding through the gears. For all the little ricer boys who replace the bov's to hear the PSSST, this works just as well . I've managed to "tune myself" to ignore it.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:10 AM   #13 (permalink)

The sound is annoying but no mod on my car motivated me to get a radio more than the whine of the Walboro pump. Making more power just makes more noise but that's a tradeoff that anyone who mods has to deal with.

Jared
Old 04-19-2007, 10:02 AM   #14 (permalink)

Got my Buschur MAF Pipe and Filter today, along with my Kevlar timing Belt! I want to put it on so bad but I need to wait until the 8th when I am getting tuned. I feel like a kid in a candy store with parts laying around but cannot put them on! it's so frustrating!
Old 04-19-2007, 04:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

Ha, join the club my friend. Buschur FMIC, ported & coated manifold/o2, SS clutchline Buschur shifter bushings, B&M short shifter all sitting in my closet. Just waiting for it to stop raining here and snowing ?

Jared
Sponsored Links
Advertisement